The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2014, 12:30 AM   #1
Reloader2

44 Mag brass?

I've got a couple of 44 mag pistols I inherited years ago. For some reason I've never shot them much but recently have found a new interest in them. I'm contemplating purchasing a 44 mag barrel for my Thompson Contender

Today I received a mix bunch of brass with several different head stamps.
Is there any brass known to have issues when reloading for the 44 mag?
Also there were 11 cases with ELD head stamp that appears to be nickel plated. Is this brass okay to reload the same as the no plated?
Old March 28, 2014, 06:26 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Just make sure it's all trimmed to the same length. I've used it all over the years and it's all good. The nickel cases are fine also. I have a lot of nickel and brass cases and they all load just fine. Just go ahead and use it. You may find over time the nickel will split a little sooner than the brass cases but that's no big deal. When it splits just toss it out.
Old March 28, 2014, 06:46 AM   #3
Gdawgs

The only ones I've come across that were an issue were some Hornady brass. I believe it's their Leverevolution line that uses the FTX bullet. This brass is shorter (by a fair amount) than standard 44 mag brass. If you come across one, you'll notice something isn't right as soon as you seat the bullet.
Old March 28, 2014, 09:44 AM   #4
TATER

American Ammo Co

If you come across a-meric, …smash it with a Hammer! I don't know if they produced any .44 mag, But if they did SMASH it…
Old March 28, 2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Reloader2

Has anybody noticed a different rim thickness with different brass?
Old March 28, 2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Reloader2

There were a couple of short cases. Turns out they were 40 S&W
Old March 29, 2014, 09:41 AM   #7
reloader28

I've loaded pretty much every kind and Hornady is junk.
Every caliber is shorter for some reason and the primer pockets seem a little smaller/tighter.
Throw it out and save yourself a headache.
Old March 29, 2014, 12:02 PM   #8
mikld

I've been reloading my .44 Magnums for a bit over 20 years. My all time favorite cartridge. As far as brass is concerned I haven't found any that was "bad", but I do like to sort by headstamp (habit?) and have had no issues with any that I can think of. I don't bother with trimming as I don't think there is any need (some will tell you to keep all the brass the same length so the crimps will be the same, but in my experience .010" variations have very little to do with crimping). I shoot 3, .44 revolvers, one Contender 10", and one Puma lever action rifle. It is important to know the cylinder throat dimensions, chamber dimensions, and barrel groove diameter if you plan on shooting lead bullets...

BTW; I have a box of 20, Remington nickel plated .44 Magnum cases. I've reloaded them 6 times, and can find no difference from plain brass cases. No chips, cracks, or stains...

Last edited by mikld; March 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old March 29, 2014, 12:32 PM   #9
RC20

Some brass is better than others, RP, FC is almost always good, but the rest will work as long as it passes the case checks.

I tried to re-size some nickle 9mm and even with a Rock Chucker it was tough, I won't do that, more than enough brass cases not to have to fool with it.

Others seem think ok and no problems, never did find any in 44 back when I was doing it.
Old March 29, 2014, 01:31 PM   #10
totaldla

The Lee FCD produces a great crimp regardless of trim length.
Old March 30, 2014, 04:38 PM   #11
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by reloader28:

I've loaded pretty much every kind and Hornady is junk.
Every caliber is shorter for some reason and the primer pockets seem a little smaller/tighter.
Throw it out and save yourself a headache.

Most of the Hornady factory ammo sold at Wally-World and most LGSs is FTX ammo, that uses a shortened case to allow for the longer plastic tipped bullets to chamber. They will work fine if one is gong to reload them with FTX bullets or realizes they are shorter and adjusts the powder charge to compensate for the reduced case capacity. They also have different die settings for flare, seating and crimping than other cases. They do not work well if one likes to load mixed headstamps.