The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 02:00 AM   #1
The_Meteorologist

Sig P938 (1st Range Report)

I purchased a Sig P938 for a summer/lite carry option. I have a rather small frame, and even the M&P 9c is difficult for me to carry concealed at times.
This gun is small, real small, but it is not so tiny that it can't fit into your hands comfortably. I have the flush fit 6 rd mag, and while I can only grip with two fingers, that really is not a problem for me. It does have a 7 rd mag, but you have to buy that extra unless you have the extreme.

Even with its tiny size, you can manage 6+1 with the flush fit, and I feel safe carrying it cocked and locked as the 1911 style safety is very difficult to "accidentally" switch to fire, but easy if you try. Another nice feature is the ability to keep the manual safety on while racking the slide (as long as the hammer is back). This allows you to load a rd into the chamber with safety on, eject the mag, then load the topped off mag. You can also drop the mag and eject a chambered round with safety on.

That said, I did extensive research before buying, and was aware of the "lemons" in some of the earlier batches with major problems relating to FTE, FTF, etc., especially when using 115 grain ammo. It seems that I may be one of the lucky ones as I put 200 rounds through it with only one FTE, and that was with UMC 115 gr which seems to "weak" compared to every other 9 mm ammo I have shot.

Ammo I cycled through included Blazer Aluminum 115, Independence 124, UMC 115, RWS 124, and Winchester 124 +P PDX1 HPs. I cleaned it and will give it another range test before I carry, but I am loving it thus far.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-13_22-46-32_690.jpg (264.5 KB, 50 views)
Old March 14, 2013, 02:20 AM   #2
LockedBreech

Sig P938 (1st Range Report)

The 124 +p PDX your carry load? I think that's a good choice for reliable cycling in the 938. Also, good call on getting a stainless slide, it looks wonderful.
Old March 14, 2013, 02:43 AM   #3
The_Meteorologist

Thanks, I agree on the stainless slide. I originally wanted the rosewood grips with black slide, but I love the clean look of this one.

I originally carried Speer Gold Dot 124 gr (non +p) in my 9c, but I bought some Winchester PDX 124 +P based off good reviews using ballistic gelatin online and, as you stated, for assured reliability in terms of cycling. It will be my carry after I do my 2nd range session and it manages to pass without failure.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:40 AM   #4
KyJim

Thanks for the report. I've been interested in the P938 ever since Sig announced it. The early reports kept me away from it and I ended up getting a Kahr CM9 for this niche. Still, I like those single actions. In cool weather, I mostly carry a 1911 these days. In warm weather, it's mostly either the Kahr or my Sig P238.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Rabbitt

Thanks for the great report The_Meteorologist.

I was at the local Scheel's this weekend and they actually had some in stock. I have also been looking for one to go along with my P238 so I bit the bullet and picked one up. Have not had a chance to take it out yet but am looking forward to it.

Your report makes me feel better about buying it. You can tell from the photo I hadn't even wiped it down yet.

Para; Browning; Colt; Henry; Rossi; Kimber; Magnum Research; Rock Island; Ruger; S&W; Sig; Taurus; Chiappa; Remington; Remington Shotgun; Hi Point Carbine; Bushmaster; ISSC; Beretta; Marlin. .22; .380; 9mm; .38; .357; .45; 12 gauge; .223/5.56.
Variety is the spice of life.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Technosavant

Nice.

Mine's all Nitron with the Hogue rubber grips. It's been a fantastic gun thus far. Even though it's not much larger than the P238 it just feels a ton larger... my guess is the added length of the grip frame and the thicker grips (my P238 has thin alumagrips) just fills my hand properly.

I know I was wondering if the P938 would be that great a gun, but thus far mine has been everything I hoped it would be and more. It's an easily hideable pocket gun in a competent caliber that's also accurate and easy to shoot. As far as I'm concerned Sig knocked it out of the park with this one.
Old March 14, 2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Isk

I'm borrowing a P938 from a co-worker this weekend. Just going to run a box or so through it. First impression though, is that it actually does feel too small to get a comfortable grip on. I don't have large hands, but I can't get my grip to feel right. Of course, without feeling the recoil it's hard to know whether the grip I can get is "enough". If I remember I'll post again after shooting it a little bit. Nice looking gun, but I'm not crazy about the disassembly instructions...accidentally press the ejector down too far = send the gun back to Sig. Accidentally activate the safety with the slide off = send the gun back to Sig. Just makes it seem...fragile?
Old March 14, 2013, 01:28 PM   #8
The_Meteorologist

Not a problem guys. I will be sure to give a second report when I have a chance to head back to the range. I am hoping to cycle some different brands/weights through it again, but that may be a challenge given the ammo shortage up here in AK.

@kyjim: I too was very close to getting a Kahr...the CM9 in my case. Size wise they are almost identical. If the sig wasn't available at the local sportsman warehouse, I probably would have went with the CM9.

@Rabbit: Good luck, I hope you got a good specimen. I do know, from various forums, that most of the issues seemed to have been resolved with the latest new batches, especially those made in late 2012 and beyond. Overall I love it. Perfect size for me, and while the recoil is certainly harsher (plus thin grip applies more pressure into your hand), that was to be expected with such a small gun. You can't beat physics. I think you will really like it otherwise. When you have a chance to head to the range let me know how things went.

@technosavant: Do you have any recommendations for holsters?
Old March 14, 2013, 01:31 PM   #9
The_Meteorologist

@ISK I will say the extended grip option seems to be what most favor. Unfortunately that will cost 40-50 dollars more, but it is an option if you want that pinky to grip around it. Personally, with a solid two hand grip, I had no problems holding this with my pinky off, but I do know some just prefer a full hand grip. In terms of the ejector, I have had no problems...I do believe you would really need to push it down hard (and far) to do any real damage.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:39 PM   #10
Technosavant

I do indeed prefer the 7 round mag with the pinky extension.

As for holsters, for pocket carry the Sig Sauer one for the P238 does indeed fit the P938. It's not an exact fit, but good enough. I currently use the one that came with the Crimson Trace Laserguard (moved it over from the P238). For belt carry I don't have any particular recommendations; IMO, if I'm going to carry a gun on my belt I'm carrying a rather larger one with more capacity/larger caliber.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:27 PM   #11
The_Meteorologist

2nd Range Report

As promised, I took the Sig P938 out for a 2nd range session today. I shot another 100 rounds of various ammo through it. Cycled RWS 124 gr, Independence 115 and 124gr, and a couple Winchester PDX1 124 gr +P. All cycled flawlessly with no malfunctions. I am confident to carry this as my conceal carry.

I also shot this along with my Sig Sauer SP2022 .40, and I was a little surprised to find that the little P938 had nearly as much muzzle flip/felt recoil as my SP 2022 in .40. That said, you can't beat physics, and I don't fault this pistol given the incredible size.
Old April 22, 2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Rabbitt

The_Meterologist:
I did have a chance to get mine to the range. Wonderful little shooter. I don't remember having any problems at all. Just shooting some basic 9mm ammo. I was also shooting 2 45s and my P238 for a bit. No problems bouncing between any of them.

The only problem I have run into so far is getting it back together again after cleaning. That spring is one tough bugger to get back on. Plus I found that my barrel would rotate a bit and effectively lock into a crooked position. That caused some headaches for me. I will have to check more into that and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Have you noticed a similar problem?

I did get some grips I like a bit better.

Para; Browning; Colt; Henry; Rossi; Kimber; Magnum Research; Rock Island; Ruger; S&W; Sig; Taurus; Chiappa; Remington; Remington Shotgun; Hi Point Carbine; Bushmaster; ISSC; Beretta; Marlin. .22; .380; 9mm; .38; .357; .45; 12 gauge; .223/5.56.
Old April 22, 2013, 03:01 PM   #13
SunDog3478

I noticed the barrel rotate some last time I assembled. Good thing that it is obvious when it happens. Not sure what is the culprit there. My other gun does not do that.

I don't have any trouble with the recoil spring on re-assy.
Old April 22, 2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Rabbitt

SunDog. Thanks

I gather yours didn't actually "lock" into the rotated position? Mine did and it really took some wiggling of it to get it free. Still not sure if the open square cut in the slide or the square part of the barrel that goes there are not quite cut right or what.

What is your secret on getting the spring compressed while getting the guide rod into position and then getting it set? Maybe weak fingers on my part. Lol.
I did look at a few videos online and sure looks easy enough. Perhaps practise will make it easier for me.
Old April 22, 2013, 05:09 PM   #15
The_Meteorologist

Quote:
The_Meterologist:
I did have a chance to get mine to the range. Wonderful little shooter. I don't remember having any problems at all. Just shooting some basic 9mm ammo. I was also shooting 2 45s and my P238 for a bit. No problems bouncing between any of them.

The only problem I have run into so far is getting it back together again after cleaning. That spring is one tough bugger to get back on. Plus I found that my barrel would rotate a bit and effectively lock into a crooked position. That caused some headaches for me. I will have to check more into that and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Have you noticed a similar problem?

I did get some grips I like a bit better.
I have had that happen once as well. When reassembling, I put the barrel in slightly crooked apparently and it became stuck in the slide. It wasn't a huge deal...it just took a little extra wiggling to get it out.

Regarding the spring assembly, I agree, it is slightly more difficult to assemble than my SP2022 or most other handguns. The best method I have found is to hold the spring with your left hand/fingers and slowly ease the spring on as opposed to pushing it in hard/fast as it tends to just bend instead.

And I agree, a wonderful shooter overall. Yeah it does tend to be slightly more uncomfortable to shoot than larger guns, but that is to be expected in such a small gun. Overall I love it.
Old April 22, 2013, 08:40 PM   #16
SunDog3478

Rabbit,

I did not have too much trouble disassembling and re-assembling when i noticed the off set barrel. It was before I put the slide back on the frame. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.

As for the spring - I just hold the slide in my left hand - with the guide rod/spring in my right - and just concentrate on keeping things centered as I compress the spring. No real secret other tha focusing.

My only other gun is a PPQ - and the recoil assy is quite a bit different on it - with a very easy install.

Sorry if I am not being much help.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:24 AM   #17
Rabbitt

SunDog and The_Meteorologist:

Thanks so much for your answers. I see that I am not alone with the twisted barrel problem. I didn't notice the barrel being twisted around until I went to put the slide onto the frame and it would not go.

Thanks also for the putting thinds back again help. I will take it slower and hopefully that will help.
Old April 23, 2013, 12:40 PM   #18
9mm

I have the SS also, I shot about 400 rounds now. I have had about 5 FTFIRE hammer stops just before the firing pin. and 1 or two FTE. I trust it, shot 50 rounds last time no problems. Using higher grain seems to work better.

Tags
9mm , p938 , sig