The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 04:30 PM   #1
magicjack13

S&W 38 Special CTG

I recently came into possession of a 38 S&W Special CTG. On the butt of the grip it has #434198 & when you open the cylinder you find the # 64556. It has about 80% of its bluing intact. Bore is smooth and clean. The gun exhibits no rust & shoots great! Can anyone give me an idea of when it was made and what it might be worth? Don't think I am going to get rid of it because it is great to shoot! Just wondering. Sorry I wasn't able to get my camera to work to post pictures.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

It sounds as if you have a Military & Police model S&W, a.k.a, a pre Model 10.

A 400k serial number would put it some time in the 1930s, IIRC (don't have my reference books handy).

.38 Special CTG is NOT the model, it's the cartridge that it fires.

CTG is the abbreviation for cartridge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:40 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

An M&P #434xxx should date to the late 1920's. Value would depend almost totally on condition and originality, as they are quite common guns.

Jim
Old February 14, 2013, 04:03 PM   #4
magicjack13

S&W 38 Special

Thanks guys. That confirms what I had managed to scrounge up, but had been unsure of. Looks like value is about $300?. But I enjoy shooting it too much to let go of it. Sure is a sweet shooter!!
Old February 14, 2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Sevens

Keep in mind that a revolver of this vintage is NOT spec'd for the slightly hotter .38 Special +P ammo on the market. Yours would enjoy lead bullet ammo.

I have a similar revolver that my Grandfather bought used in 1923. Mine is a 1921 build. My Grandfather was never any manner of a "gun person." As far as I know, he didn't do any hunting and wasn't any manner of a recreational shooter. He gifted me the revolver when I graduated high school. He was 90 years old at that time. He was 23 when he bought it (used) and he told me that he bought it back then "because a man should have a gun."

As was said, Smith & Wesson made (literally) millions of these revolvers. One that is as old as yours is desirable and has "value" but because of the volume of them they made, the only really high value ones are in very, very, VERY good condition. Yours sounds like a great gun to have and a fine gun to shoot but it probably doesn't have some enormous collector "value."

Sounds like it has a good home.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
ScottRiqui

They're great guns - I have one from the late 1920's that's gone from my grandfather to my father and then to me. I've lost track of how many times I've used it to introduce a new shooter to the sport, and it's always a favorite.