The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 11, 2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Dearhunter61

M1A Scope Mount and scope performance

I inherited a M1A a couple of years ago and have taken it to the range a couple of times to shoot it but I'm just not very good shooting open sights...getting old you see. So I saw a post a couple of days about scoping one and the mounts so I have been pondering scoping mine.

So does anyone know about scope mounts for them? How good is Springfield Armorys scope mount? I found one for $119.00 which sounds like a pretty good price.

How accurate do they shoot with a scope on them? Are they a 1000 yard rifle?

I am thinking about putting a Zeiss Conquest on it if I decide to go ahead and scope it. What kind of scope and reticle? Tactical? Hunting? I'm thinking I would definitely want the scope to have target turrents. If it shoots as good as I think it will I'd like to harvest a buck with it this coming year.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Old December 11, 2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Rustle in the Bushes

I prefer mine scoped though it turns an already heavy gun into a real beast. do pushups.

What type of M1a is it- loaded/match etc etc? Depending on what you have already there is alot of things a lowly commoner like us can do to play around and accurize. The most cost effective thing seems to be reloading though as these guns are ammo sensitive.

The springfield mount pretty much blows. Save yourself the money and hassle and get a name brand mount that is known by the community to be good.

Options-

Arms #18- Lowest to the receiver. Can obstruct ejection on some rifles. (I went with the arms 18) one of the lightest steel mounts

Basset mount- Best option for someone that wants to take scope on and off. Easily removable, still quite solid.

Sadlak- available in steel, aluminum. also solid.

Dont forget to put a cheek riser on that sucker.

Now that you're into the m14 game check out this site below- unbelievable wealth of info if you want to start messing with or just learn about the gun.

http://m14forum.com/
Old December 11, 2012, 10:06 PM   #3
michaelcj

I have a "Swan"A.R.M.S. M21/14 mount on my M1A and have had no issues with it. Mike
Old December 12, 2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Ike666

I've scoped two M1As. A NM with a Smith Enterprises steel mount and a Scout in a Sage EBR with the Springfield mount.

I didn't care for the Springfield mount at first, but I am actually pleased with its performance now. I had it mounted on the full size NM for awhile. It worked just fine but I have a first gen version with the very large knurled-knob type mounting screws. They're about an inch-plus in diameter and I don't have a tool that works well with them. Hand tightening would work loose too quickly. So, I used the biggest blade screw driver I have. I boogered the slots up a little like that. A flat piece of metal would work better.

Now, I've got it on the Scout in an EBR stock. I actually bought the SEI mount for that build but it wouldn't mate to the the receiver without binding against the stock. I almost purchased a Sadlak steel mount when I remembered I had the old SA mount. I put it on and it fit well. It's mounting a SA ART IV scope from back in the day and the whole set-up is stable as a rock. But it is heavy.

I then decided to scope up the NM again since I had the SEI mount and it is currently carrying an SWFA Super Sniper (Tasco) with fixed 10X. I've been pleased with both the scope and the mounting solution.

I'd have to agree, even though it is working for me, that the Springfield is the least desirable choice. I'd be inclined to recommend either the SEI or Sadlak mounts with a conventional stock.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Ridge_Runner_5

I did not like the Springfield Armory mount. The gap in it makes it hard to place a scope the way you want it.

I use a Sadlak Aluminum mount now.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:44 PM   #6
ronl

I have one of the Gen3 Springfield mounts and had a Super Sniper 10x mounted on it. It shot loose once, but I reinstalled it and it did okay. I got tired of how heavy the thing was and just shoot it now using open sights.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:16 PM   #7
misterE

Ive got a sadlak aluminum mounted on a "loaded" m1a. Absolutely no problems out of it. And you can still use your irons
Old December 15, 2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Jo6pak

I have a Trijicon Accupoint 3x9 on a Springfield Gen3 mount, atop my M1A Scout.

I haven't had many issues with the Gen3, but at some point I will upgrade, probably a Sadlak, to get it a little lower.

My rifle is set up for quick target aquisition within 200-250m, which is where the Accupoint really excels. However, the obelisk style reticle makes it difficult to judge hold-over at extended ranges.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:04 AM   #9
SR420

I'm currently using a LaRue LT-608 on my Mod 0 EBR, a Smith Enterprise #2006 on my NM M14 and the CASM on my CQB-16.

The LT-608 is for the SAGE EBR only as is the excellent SAGE M14 DCSB
Old January 18, 2013, 11:45 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

Don't waste money on a SA scope mount. Do some reading here http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/ and here http://sadlak.com/si_improvements_to_bpt.html.

Sadlak makes the most popular mount for the M1A and has different styles/materials.

I've had 3-10, 6-20 and fixed 10X scopes on my M1A and I really like the SWFA 10X42HD.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:37 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks madcratebuilder. I can see where Sadak has improved over the original Brookfield Precision (which I have).
Old January 27, 2013, 11:07 AM   #12
FSJeeper

I have only used the irons on my NM and Socom for years but decided to scope up as an option. I looked at all the mounts available, talked to people who have used the various ones, and read everything I could on the internet about them.

I had no budget, just wanted the best and something that could be detached easily because I prefer to practice with irons.

I ended up with the Bassett mount for both of them and could not be happier. Until you mount one it's hard to "get" how it works, but once you mount one the light bulb goes off and you realize what a clever design it is without all of that weight and quickly detachable.

Very, very pleased that I made the right decision for me.

http://bassettmachine.com/
Old January 27, 2013, 01:10 PM   #13
blfuller

While I have the ARMS #21 on mine currently, the early version, not the current full rail, one that I have not seen mentioned is the Vltor CASV-14 rail system. I've been contemplating switching to this for my scope mount on my M1-A. I would avoid the Springfield Armory mounts. They are not that great, been there, done that. For a traditional mount go with ARMS, Sadlak or Smith. Some like the Basset but I cannot comment on it.

Troy industries has the BattleRail which is similar to the Vltor rail but you have to dump your EXCELLENT USGI sights in favor of a shorter sight radius.

Last edited by blfuller; January 31, 2013 at 08:53 AM.