The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 14, 1999, 10:40 PM   #1
bergie

At a gunshow last weekend I got a very short look at a Krag with Nazi markings, chambered in 6.5x55. I had never heard of such a critter, and the dealer that had it couldn't tell me anything at all (except his price which was very high). Seems like a rather odd combination. Anybody got any ideas?
B
Old September 15, 1999, 10:41 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Possibly Norwegian or other Scandanavian import. Norway was an occupied area during WWII and possibly this was in a police or state arsenal when the occupation forces arrived. The caliber was Norway's military caliber then thus was most likely in a militia inventory.
Old September 15, 1999, 09:02 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Only three nations used the Krag, in the order Denmark, the U.S., and Norway. Only Norway used the Krag in 6.5 x 55. There were a number of models. They are very nice guns and many that came in here were almost new. There was a pre-war sporting rifle in 8mm Mauser (8 x 57).

The Germans took over and used some of them and those were marked by the Germans. The German Navy used some on their ships, and Norwegian troops fighting on the German side used them for training, but were issued Mausers for combat. Additional use was by Norwegian police and security forces (Vidkun Quisling's gang).

Some were made made under the occupation.

The Norwegian Krag is stronger than the U.S. Krag because what is a safety lug on the U.S. model is a bearing lug on the Norwegian version.

They are an interesting rifle and should have a place in any Krag collection. Without seeing the gun, I couldn't set any firm price, but $400 or so in average condition would be my guess.

Jim