The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 24, 2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Detachment Charlie

New .357 Blackhawk

Killed two birds with one stone last week when I bought a new Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag. I had wanted a 357 for years and a single action for much longer (since I was a kid); the Blackhawk satisfies these.
Now, having had it to the range twice, am I satisfied with my choice? I’m not sure, yet.
This Blackhawk is the “New” Blackhawk for those who are into Rugers. This is a solid piece and lives up to all of the “built like a tank” reputation of Rugers. With its 6-1/2” barrel, it has enough heft and mass to handle full-house magnum loads for which this platform begs. Oddly, one aspect of the gun that does not meet up to the “big, bad magnum” positioning is the grip. It features a nominal “plow-handle” single-action style grip with hard black plastic grip panels. These are not the Bisley-style grips. These are more the Matt Dillon, Palladin, Johnny Ringo, Wyatt Earp style. But, they are small. I do not have large hands and these grips are so small I find it difficult to get a comfortable, stable grip on the pistol.
With the loads this revolver likes, a good grip is necessary. If you are going to shoot a magnum, why load it with mouse-fart loads? Go fast, or go home! Loading with Alliant 2400 powder didn’t leave me any choice in this area. Because there are a LOT of loads listed for this powder, I’m not going to detail my loads, but I will stress that you should start low and work up. Remember, I’m saying this and shooting a Ruger Blackhawk. OK? Just a hint: Use Recent Load Data.
I started with 125gr. Montana Gold JHPs. I stayed away from lead because of the velocity. I listed when old hands tell me that you will get leading at velocities over 1,000fps with all but very hard lead or jacketed bullets.
I am ordering some 158gr JHPs for more research. The 125gr loads didn’t point toward accuracy, shooting high for point of aim at 12 yds. and 25yds.
I’m glad I got the gun. It gives me something new to play with and maybe take into the swamps down here for piggies.

The U.N. is a criminal organization.
Old July 24, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2
g.willikers

You needn't be cautious about using lead in magnum velocity loads.
With the correct hardness for the speed and the correct fit for the barrel, lead bullets do just fine.
As long as the cylinder chamber diameters are a good match for the barrel diameter, and the cylinder chambers align up with the forcing cone, lead bullets do very well in revolvers, even at higher velocities, without serious leading problems.
Many leading problems are caused by the bullet lube, so using well made bullets is a must.
Try it, you won't be disappointed.
That's mostly what my shootin' irons have been fed for years, without complaint.
What little lead is there, can easily be removed.
One method is to use some fine steel wool or a copper cleaning pad, wrapped around a nylon brush lubricated with cleaner.
A few strokes and all is well.
Since cast bullets are available in such a large choice of shapes, lengths and weights, really accurate loads are possible.

Last edited by g.willikers; July 24, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old July 24, 2010, 12:59 PM   #3
shafter

I love Ruger Blackhawks! I'd get rosewood grips though. Plastic doesn't belong on a SA revolver
Old July 24, 2010, 01:21 PM   #4
rclark

Quote:
If you are going to shoot a magnum, why load it with mouse-fart loads?
Because you can.... Because it is more fun.... Because there is less noise.... Because you can shoot all day..... Because I am only punching paper and not an Elk.... Because it is still accurate with lighter loads.... Because they still knock down the steel plates..... Many reasons to shoot lighter loads . That said,

Enjoy your gun! My first revolver was just like yours as a late teenager back in the early 80s. Still have it and shoot it. Packed it about everywhere! You'll get used to the plow handle! Oh and as said above .... get new grips. I like bear paw grips, others like different styles ..... just don't stoop to rubber baby buggy bumpers unless there is a medical reason to do so IMHO....Bear Paw Grips
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; July 24, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old July 24, 2010, 05:39 PM   #5
kle

Re: The grip:

It's a single-action; it's designed to be shot one-handed, and should be allowed to roll-up in the hand on recoil. The trick is to let it roll up by the same amount each time. Do that with the same sight picture every time, and it should hit the same spot every time.

As to the size of the grips, I've found the checkered rubber grips to be too small-feeling for me (at least, the ones I've fondled). Using thicker wood grips helped with this, and of course there are oversized-grips available, both in wood and rubber.

Re: The load:

My go-to .357 Magnum load is 13.0gr 2400 behind a 158gr hard-cast lead semi-wadcutter from Missouri Bullet Co. or Valiant. I have no idea what velocity I'm getting, since I don't have a chronometer, but it 'feels' like a Magnum load. I don't see much leading (if any) with this load in any of my .357 Magnum revolvers.
Old July 26, 2010, 08:53 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Are you sure you have the name right? Stock grips on all the New Model Blackhawks I have ever seen (or owned) were wood. Are you perhaps, confusing the Blackhawk with the "New Vaquero"? My "new Vaquero" has checkered plastic grips.
Quote:
The 125gr loads didn’t point toward accuracy, shooting high for point of aim at 12 yds. and 25yds.
This is the line that makes me wonder. Light weight bullets normally shoot lower than heavier ones. Its a question of the speed, (time in the barrel) and the design of the handgun (grip well below bore axis). Also, doesn't you gun have adjustable sights? Shooting off the point of aim is the reason adjustable sights are on the gun. Also this is why I wonder if you got the name confused, Blaskhawks have adjustable sights, Vaqueros do not.

My solution to the small grip size is to use oversize grips. I prefer the soft rubber ones from Pachmayr.

One fallacy many people make with the single action revolver is to think they have to shoot them like a DA revolver. You don't. SA revolvers are intended to shoot single shots, repeatedly. Keeping a tight shooting grip, and trying to get back on target ASAP is a struggle, and a waste of time for many people. The guns are not designed for that. If that's what you want to do with it, get a DA revolver.

The grip shape is supposed to let the gun roll up in the hand. This makes cocking it for a second shot easier, with the shooting hand. The non shooting hand was expected to be busy with the reins, or perhaps a saber!

Just hold it firmly enough to keep a grip, and bring it back down, cocking it as you aim for the next shot. Pachmayr grips do reduce the amount of roll, but don't eliminate it.
Old July 27, 2010, 01:11 AM   #7
bamaranger

thinkin'

Sounds like its got fixed sights to me. Thus, vaquero I think.

Skeeter Skelton had a 13.5 gr/2400-158 gr load that is my std full house load.
But I don't run that in my Blackhawk. My everday woods load is 6.5-7 grs unique and 160 JsWC. Sort of triple +P. Since that bullet is gone, I guess I'll go back to 158 gr lead SWC. But I have had a hard time getting commercial lead bullets NOT to lead
Old July 27, 2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Duke City Six

I think Charlie probably knows what model he has. He said he bought it new, and if you check the Ruger website you'll see that the blued New Model Blackhawks do indeed come with the black grips. He also said it has a 6.5 inch barrel, which is offered on the NMBH but not on the New Vaquero.

I prefer S&W double-action revolvers, but when I was considering a single action gun, I handled a few Rugers and shot the .45 convertible NMBH. I will defer to the single-action experts, who have pointed out above that this type of gun is meant to roll in the hand, but I too found that the stock Blackhawk grips seemed small for me and uncomfortable when handling and shooting. I felt at the time time that if I did acquire such a gun, I would need bigger grips for it to be comfortable.

Of course, the same was true of my k-frame Smith. The original service grips were too small. First I switched to Hogues and now I'm using S&W wood targets.

Last edited by Duke City Six; July 27, 2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old July 28, 2010, 04:59 AM   #9
bamaranger

none intended

No insult intended to Charlie.

I don't get why, though, if the load he was discussing, does not shoot to point of aim, he doesn't make a sight adjustment and get it there?

He does call the revolver a B-hawk multiple times, so your point stands..he's there looking at it, I'm not.
Old July 28, 2010, 09:54 AM   #10
stevieboy

I love Blackhawks and I love .357 as a caliber. .44 magnum, too. The problem is that Blackhawks do not love me. I've been a revolver shooter for as long as I can remember but I've never been able to get comfortable with plowhandle grips. I know, they're supposed to roll up on recoil, etc. But, for me, they are just plain painful in magnum calibers, .357 or .44. I can't shoot a cylinder's worth of rounds in either caliber without developing a deep, painful bruise at the base of my thumb. That, despite the fact that I've been coached a number of times by acquaintances who are really adept at firing SAA style revolvers.

I have a friend who put big rubber Pachmyrs on his .44 magnum Blackhawk. They really ruin the look of his gun, but I can fire that one without difficulty.

So, I agree, it's a great firearm and I admire it. But, with the SAA style grips, it's just not my cup of tea.
Old July 28, 2010, 10:54 AM   #11
Lashlarue

I bought the Blackhawk when they first came out, 50 rounds of factory 357 and my hand was blistered. Sold it the next week. Bought a old model Vaquero in 44mag in 97, had wood grips but weighed a ton, could handle 44mag factory ammo with a two handed grip.I couldn't pretend to be Clint Eastwood. Had an Uberti Buckhorn, same as todays Cattleman in 44 mag, had a spring loaded firing pin that would vibrate loose inside of 12 rounds.Luckily I had a gunsmith with a drawer full of small parts, a little lock-tite and it would stay in place.Someone offered me $100 more than I paid for it, and it was gone.Last year got the itch again, the Uberti Millenium was on sale, but Cimarron Arms talked me out of it, saying their Uberti guns were imported as comeplete pistols and they built a few Pietta which were hand fitted, and included a lightened trigger,oiled walnut one piece grips and no faux case hardening.Brass backstrap and trigger guard,and a 100% better blue job than the Millenium.For the same amount of money,What I received was a SAA clone that was almost too pretty to shoot.Shoots to point of aim, one handed, from the hip using 130 gr. 38 Specials.For half the price of a new Blackhawk or Vaquero