The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 5, 2008, 05:36 PM   #1
243Ben

dumb question

If I want to convert a ruger m77 mII that is in .257 roberts to a 7x57 what do i need to do?

Is it just a matter of finding a decent gun smith and having the barrel changed to fit the larger caliber?
Old November 5, 2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Yes.

The .257 Roberts is so close to a .25x57 that there should be no other work required besides replacing the barrel.

I don't know the current availablility, .257s seem to come and go and if Ruger is not making any right now, you might could make an advantageous trade. If they are making 7x57s. Alternatively the takeoff .257 barrel should sell pretty readily.
Old November 5, 2008, 08:16 PM   #3
PetahW

A second alternative is that the .257 barrel can be simply rebored/rifled to .284 w/o any other changes, either (except a new muzzle crown).

Of course, it'll carry the old cartridge designation, unless remarked.

Old November 5, 2008, 09:00 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I haven't checked prices lately, but it may well cost more to rebore and re-rifle than to just have a new barrel installed. Plus there are a limited number of shops that do that kind of barrel work and they are always months behind.

One possibility would be to try one of the major barrel makers and see if they would convert your barrel; I have been told some do that but I have not had it done.

Jim
Old November 6, 2008, 08:27 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...may well cost more to rebore and re-rifle..." Definitely would. Machine shops are charging $100 plus per hour and you'd need a smithy with the right equipment.
Rebarreling is the way to go. However, the 7mm Mauser OAL is 296 thou longer than the Roberts so you'll likely have a mag length issue.
Old November 7, 2008, 02:37 AM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
However, the 7mm Mauser OAL is 296 thou longer than the Roberts so you'll likely have a mag length issue.
The 257 Roberts is a 7X57mm case necked to 25 caliber. Same length. The 257 Roberts is already chambered in a long action, same as the 7X57mm, so there are no magazine problems. The only issue will be replacing the barrel. Douglas, ER Shaw, or McGowen will do rebarreling. Of the 3, only ER Shaw does rebluing, AFAIK. Or you can buy any barrel you want and have a local guy do it all.