The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 9, 2008, 03:13 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

New projects... I have several underway... what are yours ???

I'm currently working on several projects all at once, hoping to finish most of them before years end... here are just a few...

current & almost completed... stainless Ruger 10-22... Camo lami thumbhole Fajein stock, custom sling swivels, military O.D. Green web sling, Tech Sights, 5 clear Ruger 10 round magazines... ( this one is now set up for the June Appleseed shoot I'm attending )

current & about 1/2 done... my less than $200.00 "ultimate SKS"... old Chinese SKS ( paid $89.00 back then ) new ATI composite Monte Carlo stock, trimmed the long barrel 2" & target crowned the end, & relocated the front sight... added a thinner "target" front post, & new Tech Sights rear sight, trimmed off the front sling loop, & added a custom front sling stud, 20 round fixed box magazine, & new military web sling... got plenty of stripper clips

current & about 1/2 done... IAI lever action 12 ga., setting up to shoot slugs, added custom rear ghost ring sight... but it's shooting low currently, so adding a built up front rifle sight ( adjustable ) to the shotgun barrel

just about off layaway... stainless Ruger Montado in 45 Colt... going to swap out the barrel to convert to a 5 shot shortened 500 S&W ( 50 special ) "urban jungle sigle action"

... not purchased yet... S&W 6" barreled 610 stainless moon clip equiped 10mm revolver ( also shoots 40 S&W ), chambers wil be bored deeper to acomodate the 10mm magnum cartridges I have for my custom Contender barrel, & Automag 4...

... I'll post some pics later, & as they get close to done...

what are your projects for this year ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 9, 2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old June 9, 2008, 03:58 PM   #2
UniversalFrost

well, got a pending custom mauser "mt. rifle" project based up a vz-24 action with kreiger planned to do all the gunsmithing and rebarreling.

also, have a never ending non gun project 72 chevelle SS that is eating most of my funds at the moment.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old June 9, 2008, 04:10 PM   #3
SilentHitz

I've got a RIA 1911 on the way...not sure what changes I'm going to make yet, but it's damn near impossible for me to leave one bone stock.

Already have a race gun on a springer...probably just do some minor stuff. Just like cars, you gotta "soup it up" just a little.
Old June 9, 2008, 05:11 PM   #4
ConfuseUs

I've got 2:

The first one is an AR build. It's going to be a 24" free-floated barrel for making small groups and shooting small things far away. That's the easy one; I just have to get my parts kit and a couple hours spare time.

The second (and hard) one is an AK build. 3-4 ms ago Centerfire Systems had grade C Romy G AK parts kits for $90 and I couldn't say no to that. I lucked out and got all matching serials and minor (cosmetic) rust problems. The rust is now scrubbed off and a receiver flat and screw set is on the way. Geek that I am, I have to see if I can press a receiver, stamp it with my initials, heat treat, weld the rails, and park it instead of simply ordering a $40-50 complete receiver and screwing the parts into that. It won't be a pretty rifle, but for getting into AK building it will do.
Old June 9, 2008, 07:22 PM   #5
chris in va

Just finished my Saiga conversion.

Old June 10, 2008, 09:32 AM   #6
MrClean

Waiting on the last step now. Okay... probably not the LAST thing I'll do to it, but I'm waiting on my RRA AR to be finished up by Walter Birdsong. It's getting coated in the new Brown&Tan he started offering this year. Going to stop doing the Tan though, says it's too time consuming, may try to work on it later. So I should have one of the very few (other than military contracts he's done) like it.

Helping a friend change over his AR to the configuration he wants. Other than that.... I'm just shootin'!!

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old June 10, 2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

I wanted to take some pics last night...

I'm in the process of finishing up my "ultimate $200.00 SKS" project... the goal of the project is to make the rifle less "evil looking", while still being "tactical", & on the cheap... the bayonette & lug were removed, along with the flash hider & 2" of barrel to smooth out the original stepped barrel look of the front end of the gun, the original front sight was relocated to where the bayonette lug was originally on the barrel, & the new barrel end ( 1/2" in front of the sight ), was target crowned ( the gun started life as a long barrel early $89.00 Chinese SKS, which has the chrome lined barrel ), a $35.00 ATI Black plastic Monte Carlo stock was fitted, replacing the original "orange wood" stock, a target front sight post was fitted to the original but relocated front sight, & a Tech Sights rear sight was added 8" back from the original rear sight ( which was also removed ), a custom keeper was added to hold the original rear sight spring in place, protecting the gas piston extension, & the rear sight block was ground down in the front center to increase the available sight picture, the attached cleaning rod removed, & the keepers on the front sight removd to smooth the look, a 20 round fixed box magazine was swapped in place of the stock 10 round fixed box... ( I had added the removable magazines, but found them a pain to change out, & found the rifle difficult to shoot with those long mags... the 20 round fixed box is much shorter than a 20 round removable mag

the result is a rifle that is still "black", but has much more in common with the looks of a composite stocked hunting rifle, but still holds 20 rounds, easily loaded through stripper clips, & much improved accuracy, & sights... right now, I have way less than $200.00 total into the gun... I was going to take some pics last night, but I forgot the memory stick for my camera on my computer at work... so hopefully I'll get a few tonight...
Old June 10, 2008, 10:54 AM   #8
rampage841512

I'm working on building a shooting range on my own land. I already have a berm in place for a backstop and I'm going to take the chainsaw to some of the foilage, pull some junk out the way (my grandfather, the former owner, was a bit of a pack rat), and build some target stands.
Old June 10, 2008, 11:16 AM   #9
azredhawk44

#1 - Marlin Camp 45. This guy needs a scope rail and a red-dot. I'd like the magazine safety block removed, too.

#2 - M14 Custom. In with the gunsmith right now. Getting a Springfield Supermatch stock, custom bedding, gas system alignment, match sights. It will need a Sadlak or ARMS #18 mount later on, Leupold QRW rings and a quality 4-12x40 scope of some sort for long range target harassment.

#3 - AR-15 A2 build. Done... but needs a scope of some sort mounted on the carry handle. Researching mounts and optics for this.

#4 - Ruger Redhawk 5.5". Needs an action job and cylinder timing examined.

#5 - Mosin Nagant 91/30. Save the original parts, but put the rifle in a new ATI synthetic stock, get a mojo sight set, and work up some handloads to see what this rifle can do. Maybe crown the barrel and replace the trigger as well.

Last edited by azredhawk44; June 11, 2008 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Forgot the Mosin!
Old June 10, 2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Playboypenguin

No projects at this moment...

...but I hope to find something soon. My last one was restoring a "well loved" S&W m60 that I found for a good price. I buffed out all the scratches and blemishes, took off some rough edges, repaired some internal issues, and then refinished the gun with a bead blast finish and replaced the grips. I even got a little creative and added a subtle ghosted flame on the cylinder.

Old June 10, 2008, 11:41 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

very nice touch ( the flames )
Old June 10, 2008, 01:59 PM   #12
ConfuseUs

That's pretty sweet work on that Smith and Wesson, PBP!
Old June 10, 2008, 06:39 PM   #13
hkg3

My buddy is building a 1911 from a combination of spare parts and just a few new parts. One of the challenges is putting a Remington (Yes I said Remington) slide on the Caspian frame. May actually be fun.
Old June 10, 2008, 09:28 PM   #14
Dirt Pitt

Right now I am sanding the stock on an already sporterized 03A3. Ground a new recoil pad for it, pillar and glass bedding is in, stripped the old finish off the stock and started to sand. Looks like the wood is going to have quite a bit of figure and tiger stripe. This gun was sporterized a long time ago as it has several touches that were popular in the 50's, 60's. Hope to take a elk with it this year.

Of course, always working on a 1911 or two, just can't seem to leave them alone.

Allen
Old June 10, 2008, 09:41 PM   #15
Csspecs

Well if me and my brother get a tig welder in the next few days I hope to weld flash hiders on my saigas (I have enough US parts). I have a big one kinda roughed out for my .308, just a note I will be welding to the sight block not the barrel.
Old June 11, 2008, 12:43 AM   #16
predator86

projects? where do i start?

well i got a couple kits to build, waiting on my fal reciever....

dropped off my ar-15 to get put together, 16'' bull barrel, flat top, all dpms parts that i scrounged off the internet....

refinishing my k-31

build a gun cage/rack

build a gun range at dad's with shooting house

i really need to finish my reloading bench/workbench but i just dont want too, i have put so many coats of stain on the boards and i still have more to do, pine boards, mahogony red stain, probaly 8 coats per board not to mention 4 coats of polyurathane after that and also i used a crap ton of boards!!!!

those are the gun projects i got.....still gotta finish one bronco before i start the next buildup, need to paint my girlfriends door on her truck, need to scrap a couple trucks out and general cleanup.....ugh.....
Old June 11, 2008, 01:23 AM   #17
J.Smith

Build Nightstand/ Bookcase with shotgun rack built into side. Basically a big cubby hole with some sort of snap in snap out system. It will look like a cluttered bookcase from the doorway, but I think it is better than leaning against a wall or under the bed. The only people in my room are myself and the girlfriend so it should be safe and effective.

Pick up a SA .45 4'' XD or S&W or FNH .40 semiauto.

Also looking for a good revolver since my old man won't sell me his even though he hasn't been to the range or fired a gun in 20+ years.

Untacticooling one of my Mossberg 590s I picked up cheap. SpecOps stock is the only thing staying on it. Everything else is history. There is room for 20+shells on the gun thats how bad it is and they found a way to clamp a rail onto it, which was subsequently packed with lights and lasers and all other kinds of goodies.

Building a Reloading Counter out of some Hardwood planks in the new house.

Before December 31st getting atleast a complete lower RRA or STAG Ar-15.
Old June 15, 2008, 07:42 AM   #18
dm1333

1977 10/22 getting a refinished stock, a GM stainless fluted bull barrel, a trigger kit and a Mueller scope.

Sporterized M1903 that needs to be retapped for a scope mount and some work on the stock.

Stevens 311 in 16 gauge that is getting a new Boyds walnut stock and a Limbsaver recoil pad.

Stevens 325 that needs a higher front sight.

Marlin Model 60 that will be reblued, the stock refinished and a good peep sight added.

I'm thinking about either converting, or buying an Enfield for conversion, to 7.62 x 39.

Norinco Paratrooper SKS is in a Tapco stock with a red dot sight, awaiting Wolffe trigger springs and new parkerizing.

1988 HD FXR that needs new fork legs, shocks, and painting on the frame and a top end rebuild this winter.

1996 Nissan P/U, aka the "Hardbody" or the "Green Hornet" is getting bed liner around the rocker panels, on the nerf bars, and under the carpet in the cab. MSD 6A ignition at some point this summer. I also have to weigh one of my aluminum wheels and compare it to the stock steel wheel before I mount new 31" tires for this winter.
Old June 15, 2008, 11:10 AM   #19
Rich Miranda

I've been trying to get going on a tactical shotgun project. I want to get an old 870 Wingmaster (2.75 is fine) and go to town.

I need to develop some willpower though, as I keep finding other guns I want first
Old June 17, 2008, 08:35 PM   #20
Rook Rifle

Builds on the go

Just completed grandsons 1872 rolling block in my new wildcat 20-225 load stock and forearm were made from birdseye maple the barrel 1-9 twist Douglas
Old June 20, 2008, 09:23 AM   #21
sc928porsche

Working on grandsons rifle for his first hunt this year.
M-N M44
Huber trigger
4-12 Bushnell A/O
Richards Microfit (Wildcat in blue laminate w/recoil pad)

Barrel is "slugged at .311
Headspace is good (go- no go)
Sights removed
Scope mount installed
Rails posished
Bolt polished and new handle
All metal polished and hot blued
Action fitted and bedded
Sling swivels installed
Muzzle brake fabricated and installed
Stock is now being finished sanded (1200 grit)
Finish will be BLO and waxed
Old June 20, 2008, 10:29 AM   #22
Magnum Wheel Man

928... that sound awesome... got any pics yet ???
Old June 20, 2008, 01:27 PM   #23
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Just finishing up my SKS. Just need to remove the bayo and get a bipod for the bottom rail.

next: hopefully this

http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt103.htm

or a rem 700 SPS tactical 20" bull barrel to be seated in a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock

Old June 21, 2008, 01:46 PM   #24
velocette

Summer projects:
1, Refinish Remington m 722, rifle in .222 Rem. This was my fathers rifle, used to send many woodchucks to paradise. Was held by my brothers (non shooting type people) in unknown places resulting in the already aged stock finish being damaged. A true challenge to resurrect the original stock & return the rifle to it's former beauty.
2, Refinish the stock of my CZ 452 Full stock .22 rifle. The wood on this rifle is fairly nice with decent figure. The finish is muddy and dull. I think that a really nice finish will improve this little tack driver.
3, Refinish the stock of my M1 Garand. I want to clean the wood thoroughly, steam out the dents & dings, then re-apply a finish similar to what it had originally using modern materials.

When I finish any of the above, I'll post photos.

Here in South Florida, I shoot all winter and work in my garage (air conditioned) in the 3 months through summer.

Roger