The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 17, 2006, 08:53 PM   #1
Blacktail_Slayer

Clear Cut Coyotes

Anyone have experience calling coyotes into clear cuts from the timber, if so, I would like to hear as much advice as I can. Thanks.
Old November 18, 2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sounds like a probability game. Figure out which wooded area is more probable for coyotes to be in. Set up across the clearcut from that area, wind permitting.

If you have a baby boom-box and an external speaker and the wire, set the speaker up out in the clearcut and use an appropriate tape; wounded rabbit, e.g. Set up on the downwind side of the clearcut...

Art
Old November 19, 2006, 01:07 AM   #3
armedtotheteeth

I have had a good bid of success with using a CD call i downloaded from the internet. You could hear this guy breathing and everything on the Cd, But it works! I have called in lots of coyotes with it , in my truck CD player/I usually just back the truck up into a patch of mesaquites and open the doors, disable the lights and door dinger thingy ( i hate it) But i play the cd player really loud, as loud as i can get it. I actually have to use earplugs when i hunt because the call is so loud try this link. it is where i got the audio for my calls http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Last edited by armedtotheteeth; November 19, 2006 at 11:20 AM. Reason: link
Old November 19, 2006, 04:54 PM   #4
truthfulhawk

suggestion

Setup can mean a lot.
I am in a different part of the country, but I have to whole heartedly disagree with "armedtotheteeth". That kind of setup here would quickly educate the coyotes and end the fun.

I do hunt clear cuts a lot, though. I suggest scouting your areas, locating scat, travel routes, and possible bedding areas. Next, set up some quick blinds that you can enter easily and quietly...make sure that you have enough to play the wind.

I use all hand calls, but if you are solo hunting, a cd player is easier...you can hook a personal cd player(walkman) to a radioshack amplifier, then to a horn speaker with a several foot wire. This will let you set the speaker away from you..the yotes will focus on that instead of you...I alos suggest a decoy.
I use a weasel ball painted brown.I took a piece of fishing rod attached to a stake , then tied the wesal ball to the rod using fishing line...this makes the ball bounce around..and you can sta it up away from your hide.

do not over call...if you hunt at night, do not shine your light on yourself or equipment...

goodluck
Old November 19, 2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Mt.man

Set up is evereything. Of course the young and uneducated dogs will come in with the hope of a free meal. I hunt dogs in the desert were they can see for miles, noise and wind also a huge factor. I have had the best luck with hand calls and a decoy. A silent approach down wind and some good calling will produce good results...
Old November 19, 2006, 07:26 PM   #6
armedtotheteeth

iT all boils down to where you are and how much terrain you are trying to cover. I over look Huge fields, some up to 500 acres. A little boom box wont get the job done. I go for quantity. I aint good enough to use a call to realistically call them in. And, I want to save my breath and concentration on Ranging a Yote out there against the third fencepost from the corner. If you hunt 40 yards away, your tactics will have to be different. I usually have to call in the artillery and use something thatll reach out there a bit. i have shot one Coyote here under 100 yards. ( he snuck up behind me, they do that, watch out) usually i see them at about 500 yards or so and cant get them any closer due to the flatness of our terrain.