The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2002, 08:05 AM   #1
Melos

A Grandpa's Pleasure

Geoff Ross is right:

Quote:
28 Ga. The most fun you can have (legally) with a shotgun!
And so is Dave McC:

Quote:
....a 28 gauge WM is a neat thing to have.
Even neater is the satisfaction of helping a 17 year old grandson discover the "fun gun" nature of the 28 Wingmaster.

I had invited him to come and spend a few days with me, for the purpose of introducing him to the gun - his only prior experience being with a BB gun.

I began by having him read the owner's manual and two handbooks on clay target shooting. We reviewed the rules of safety and the manual of arms for the 870.

Then I had him shoot a few knots out of a sheet of plywood, just to get the feel of the gun and become familiar with its function.

He busted the first clay I launched for him. And to prove it was more than beginner's luck, he kept busting them as regularly as I launched them.

Old August 8, 2002, 08:16 AM   #2
BigG

I can tell you're proud of your grandson. Great job!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old August 8, 2002, 10:58 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

Tri generational moments that will be treasured by both parties.

Cool

Thanks for sharin Gramps.

Sam....Gramps too.
Old August 8, 2002, 12:00 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Aaawww, sniff, sniff....

Thanks, made my morning...
Old June 2, 2004, 03:09 PM   #5
Melos

Two years later:

The grandson is now a 19 year-old straight-A college student working on a degree in computer science at the University of North Carolina.

He has been visiting with me for the past two days, and I have been enjoying watching him burst boxfuls of clay targets with the 28 gauge Wingmaster.

He shoots so well you would think he had been trained by Dave McCracken - perhaps because his natural giftedness has been helped by having his grandpa teach him all that grandpa learned from reading Dave's posts (and e-mail messages to "tyro", my former username).

Many thanks, Dave.

Old June 2, 2004, 04:58 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thank YOU, it's nice warmfuzzies to know I helped someone. Glad to hear your G-Son is doing well.