The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 12:11 PM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Primers require a sharp blow to detonate, too. You'd have to stomp on one, not just "step" on it.

If you set it up right, with a rock under the nail and dirt packed tightly around the shell AND the BG stomped on it, like he was running after you, I'd be willing to bet that it would be bad news for his foot. No where near full-power but I don't think it would be good.
Old December 8, 2012, 12:11 PM   #27
treg

Only one way to find out.

Please post video.
Old December 8, 2012, 04:05 PM   #28
Single Six

Treg: I'm not THAT curious....!
Old December 8, 2012, 06:12 PM   #29
scrubcedar

Had an uncle who used the .22lr and rock trick out of curiousity.

The casing itself flew apart and part of it imbedded itself in his face under the skin. He didn't dare tell Grandpa who apparently was not at that point the kindly old man I remember but a holy terror when you did something that stupid. It didn't heal of course, and when he was brought to the Doctor for the infection the entire story(as well as the casing fragment) came to light.

Apparently he was sore at both ends for quite a while afterwards.

It's a little tough to blow off the story as my uncle pointed out the scar when I asked him about it.
I remember the story quite well because my Mother told it to me over and over again, usually when she discovered that I was indulging my curiousity about what household substances combined to have explosive results, except for the one time she told it after the skunk incident of '77 (how was I supposed to know they were going to react that way? I got along with them just fine, geez, calm down.)
Old December 10, 2012, 01:23 PM   #30
Single Six

Scrubcedar: Skunk run-in, eh? We've recently started seeing them here where I live. I know very little about them, other than to avoid them, and that they apparently speak French.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:02 PM   #31
CajunBass

Quote:
As a teenager in the mid-1980s, I recall having a conversation with an older guy
I remember having an "older guy" tell me when I was a kid, that if you were to step on a grave, the skleton would reach up and grab you and pull you down with him.

I've been skeptical of "older guy" tales ever since then.

Kids today don't fall for my stories at all.

I do recall trying to set off shotgun shell by shooting the primer with a BB gun. We never did...at least not that I recall. We probably never hit the primer anyway.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 10, 2012, 04:27 PM   #32
spacecoast

All these silly schemes sound about as likely as Captain Kirk making a diamond-shooting shotgun out of an empty log and propelling them with home-made gunpowder... saltpeter, sulphur and charcoal.

Old December 10, 2012, 06:38 PM   #33
deadcoyote

I once watched this done with a pellet rifle and a live 30-06 shell when I was about 15 or 16. The guy who did this: 1)ruined a perfectly nice pellet gun and the barrel was shredded for about 3.5" from the muzzle. 2) cussed alot while his mommy pulled little pieces of brass from his face and hand.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:05 AM   #34
Chilidogs

As a small child we lived very near a gun range with a clays section of some sort.

We'd sneak in and find the occasional live 12ga shell on the ground.

Of course they wouldn't fit in our BB guns so we'd lay them on the picnic table and shoot at the primer from "safe" distance of about 10 feet with the BB gun.

We used a LOT of BBs to get there but we did have a few that worked.

That picnic table looked like hell and when my buddy's father found out we were all beaten severely by EVERYONE's parents at some point that summer.
Old December 15, 2012, 01:46 AM   #35
SpectreBlofeld

When I was younger, I used to get those 12-gauge flare gun shells, and shoot at the primers with a BB gun from a distance to set them off. It worked - hit the primer and you're rewarded with brightly burning magnesium. Always wondered what would happen if it were a shotgun shell instead of a flare shell.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:03 AM   #36
Sport45

Quote:
I do recall trying to set off shotgun shell by shooting the primer with a BB gun. We never did...at least not that I recall. We probably never hit the primer anyway.
I set one off like that when I was a kid. Luckily, I'd already dumped the powder and shot. The primer blew out and I still have the scar it left after rocketing into my belly.