The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 08:16 PM   #1
joyrock

People borrowing firearms?

Why is that a `No, No'? I had somebody tell me don't do that. Why is that bad? I let a friend of mine take one of my Beretta PX4 Storm's out for a test drive. He shot it over a week end, and liked it so much, he bought one. The little gun range here has about 20 guns, and the only Beretta they have is a 92. I was talking to a older man, and he seemed shocked that I `loan' out my guns to people I know to see if they like it or not. And my uncle has told me that's a no, no in the gun world. My thinking is how else are you going to see what you like? Why? Thanks!
Old October 6, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Bob Wright

I won't lend my gun out to anyone unless I'm along also. Just too many things that could go wrong. Do you know that person has a clean record? Suppose that person is stopped for a traffic violation, and the gun is undeclared and found by officers?

Too many chances to take.

Bob Wright
Old October 7, 2012, 12:17 AM   #3
Brian48

Absolutely not. Never. Heck, I won't even lend to relatives any more.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:51 AM   #4
JerryM

I do not have a problem lending guns. I just make sure I know who they are, and have confidence in their ability to safely operate it.
I value my friends more than my guns, and if there is a reason they want to borrow one, that is OK.

I am more particular about hunting rifles than handguns as rifles might be dropped and scopes or stocks broken. But I have loaned hunting rifles in the past.

If I had a friend who needed to borrow a gun because his was not operating properly I would not hesitate to let him borrow mine.

I do not see it as a "No, No." Just make sure you know who and why you are loaning the gun.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:46 AM   #5
dascottsman

Ever checked into what the legal ramifications would be if said person commited a crime with, or injured someone with your firearm????

I would think it would be a BAD idea......
Old October 7, 2012, 05:18 AM   #6
Rusty35

Quote:
dascottsman

Ever checked into what the legal ramifications would be if said person commited a crime with, or injured someone with your firearm????

I would think it would be a BAD idea......
It would be best not to loan a gun to a criminal.

If you loan a pencil to someone and they stab someone to death with it you could get sued.

If you loan a lawn mower to someone and they cut of someones foot with it you could get sued.

If you loan a cup of sugar to one neighbor , and he pours it in another neighbors gas tank, you could get sued.

If I loan a gun to a very good friend, and he uses it to defend his life, they can sue me all they like, my friends life was worth it.

On the other hand, if my friends CCW is in the shop and he asks to borrow a gun from me until his gets back, and I say no,and he is shot to death by a car jacker..........?
Old October 7, 2012, 06:08 AM   #7
akguy1985

I've never had anybody ask me to loan them a gun unless they were joking.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:53 AM   #8
Sparks1957

No one borrows any of mine, for any reason. I'll let them shoot my guns, of course, if we're at a range together.

Too risky for me if something should happen to my friends while they are carrying my gun.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Nathan

I would let dad or friends borrow my working guns. Anything I consider collectable or needed for ccw would be a no...well unless they really needed an sd gun.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:09 AM   #10
PSP

I let other people shoot my guns. Five or six are away from me at the moment. I swap guns with strangers, for a test drive, while at the range too. Shooting is supposed to be a friendly sport... isn't it?
Old October 7, 2012, 07:30 AM   #11
g.willikers

Of all the people I know and have known, there are exactly three I would loan a firearm to, without worry.
And they live far, far away.
Although, I am generous at the range, of course.
As long as the folks asking seem safe to stand close to, with a loaded shootin' iron in their hands.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:58 AM   #12
rodfac

Nope...even my sons use my guns here on our range but go home empty handed (unless they brought their own!). Sure, I've given both of them a number of guns over the years, but that makes them theirs, not mine and I wouldn't think of "borrowing" them. Friends? I offer some the chance to shoot on my range, but no borrowing. Same goes for my Harley...nobody rides it but me; and let's not even think about my chainsaw! Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 7, 2012, 11:10 AM   #13
BigJimP

No, I don't loan guns to anyone ...not even in the family ...but let me tell you a story...

a. Yrs ago / I couldn't afford a router - my neighbor graciously offered to let me borrow his ...I made some cabinets...and then the router died ! He didn't expect me to repair it ...replace it / but I did - it was in my hands went it burnt up. So it cost me 2 routers...a new one for him and a new one for me to finish the job ( I could have waited on my job / until I could afford the new router ) ....instead ended up with 2 routers on my credit card I had to pay off ...an expensive lesson.

I will offer to let curious shooters - shoot some of my guns at the range / especially if its something they have no experience with / might want to buy, etc..../ and if family members go to the range - we use my guns. If it gets scratched or something happens during those times - its part of the risk I assume by letting them shoot my guns.

I don't care about the legal issues...but what are you going to expect if someone drops a gun on a concrete range floor.../ what if they damage it badly - or a big ole cosmetic scratch that will aggravate you every time you look at it / what if they get hurt ( a bad cut, etc )....are you just going to absorb the expense.../ are they going to take care of it.../ how much will it aggravate you - what are you going to feel if a buddy gets hurt badly - and if you were there you could have probably prevented it from happening...

I think loaning guns to someone is a bad plan....for you and him / her... and you can accomplish the same thing by taking them to the range and letting them put a box of ammo thru one of your guns as a test drive....and be there to help them.

Now I suppose if the gun in question was a utilitarian gun ...a scratch wouldn't bother me ....but I'm sure not going to give someone my pet $3K 1911 ..../ and I wouldn't ever get over a bad accident, if they had one, and I wasn't there to stop it ....
Old October 7, 2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Microgunner

Loaned a pistol to a friend once who had never owned a firearm.

Two weeks later it was stolen from his home.

I'm sure he was showing it off to anyone who would stand still long enough.

I never got the pistol back or was reimbursed.

Got knows what the criminal who stole it used it for.

Lost a gun and a friend (who refused to pay for the piece).
Old October 7, 2012, 11:30 AM   #15
hoytinak

I'll loan one of mine to certain friends and some family members. Only the ones I truly trust and know. I've have a Bersa Thunder on "loan" to my sister for about 4 years now. Loaned my Mossberg 500 to a friend for a NRA instrustors class he took, plus every time my company has a level III renewal class I loan my 500 to the instructor so the officers (private security, not LEO) can qualify on a shotgun.
Old October 7, 2012, 11:41 AM   #16
Pahoo

Your guns, your call !!

Quote:
My thinking is how else are you going to see what you like? Why? Thanks!
If you feel you need to fill that role and can live with all possible negative consequences, then by all means do so. ....

Now, to put it a bit more bluntly; If you don't care what you get back from loaning one out, then by all means do so. ....

I can honestly say that there has never been a gun that I loaned out, that came back in better condition than when it left my hands. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 7, 2012, 11:58 AM   #17
4runnerman

I've never had anybody ask me to loan them a gun unless they were joking.

Ditto here. Everyone i know has there own. We go together to the range and shoot each others,but borrow one???. Never been asked
Old October 7, 2012, 11:59 AM   #18
Loronzo

You also have to take into account what the person may or may not do with your weapon. What if they commited a crime and returned the weapon to you? You would unknowingly be in possesion of a weapon used in a crime. And it would be really hard to explain to the DA that you conviently "loaned it to a friend" on said night. Run balistics and bam: you are charged with a crime you didn't commit (because he/she surely won't admit to it).

Again its your right to do with your firearms as you please but you should definitely weigh the pros and cons before you do. At best case you get your gun back in (nearly) the same condition you loaned it out in. How about going to the range with your friend so not only are you bonding but you can give direct feedback and more importantly WATCH YOUR FIREARM.

Two quick stories: I recently loaned my sister my. 22 target pistol to take her handgun class. It's my sister, I'd do anything for her. Also my fiancee took the class with her. If she damaged it I know she would gladly replace or pay for anything she did, even though I woudn't even take her money.

Last fall a close friend of mine asked me to loan his brother my Kalashnikov to "complete his taliban outfit" to a supposed costume party I didn't even know about. The guy was of a shady composition anyways... why on Earth would I want to put MY AK into his hands, much less without directly being present... whole deal seemed super shady and again there was no marginal benefit for me to do so and a HUGE oppurtunity cost... I had no qualms telling him a big negatory no-siree.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:40 PM   #19
marine6680

Depends on you... the gun... and your level of trust of the other person.

If you are really worried about your "friend" committing a crime with your gun they borrowed... then you probably need to re-evaluate your friendship.

Ever see those gun reviews online? Most are borrowed from fans/friends or the manufacturer.

I suspect many claim the reason they do not allow others to borrow and take it out of their sight, is for "legal" reasons...

When in reality... its just simple personal attachment to their guns. Though they might not realize it.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:43 PM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

I must be the odd man out as I will lend firearms, but only to people whom I implicitly trust. I have said no before, though.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:50 PM   #21
model18

Never again.......Many yrs ago I lent my hunting rifle to a buddy of mine. He was murdered shortly after and I had to go to his moms to get it back. one of the worse days of my life!!
Old October 7, 2012, 12:52 PM   #22
hoytinak

Quote:
If you are really worried about your "friend" committing a crime with your gun they borrowed... then you probably need to re-evaluate your friendship.
^^^this right here.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:57 PM   #23
dos0711

Won't happen so don't ask
Old October 7, 2012, 01:17 PM   #24
buck460XVR

I have some guns I loan all the time and some I will never loan. If I have a good friend that needs to borrow a vehicle for legitimate reasons, I most certainly would, just as if a family member or good friend needs to borrow a firearm to hunt with. Guns are material things and can be replaced, My friends and family are responsible folks that would fix or replace any damage. If one cannot trust their friends.....they need to find new friends.
Old October 7, 2012, 01:28 PM   #25
Deja vu

My Brother has a 50BMG Bolt gun that he lets me "borrow" the only rule is that he comes with me. It is a lot of fun on ground squirrels.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...