The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 3, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1
9mm

My Mossberg 500 Parkerized is showing abnormal wear for low count

I put about 250 rounds through it the other day at the gun range and the thing looks pretty badly worn. My 870 remington is no were near is this, it still looks new outside the fact of some cycling wear.

The barrel has these long wear marks, scratches on the top by the bead(like parkerized is fading/light grey marks, its all light marks nothing that "STANDS OUT") The undercarage has this long 7 inch or so and 2 inches wide mark, like someone let a mini ruler sit on it and removed some finish/lighten parkerized. The receiver has some more wear marks now, and the trigger housing pin wanted to pop out about 5 or 6 times.

I really enjoy it shooting with a pistol grip in houge tammer set. It was easier to shoot with the pistol grip than with the buttstock + a recoil pad. I had no pain shooting it with the pistol grip, very controlable.
Old October 3, 2012, 11:47 PM   #2
TheGoldenState

Add some pictures.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:36 AM   #3
A/C Guy

Quote:
I put about 250 rounds through it the other day at the gun range and the thing looks pretty badly worn. My 870 remington is no were near is this, it still looks new outside the fact of some cycling wear.
Lower priced firearms ALWAYS use lower priced steel. Lower priced steel is softer and shows more wear marks in a much shorter time than then better steel in the higher priced firearms. That is why the Perazzi guns and Krieghoff guns last over 100,000 rounds between tune ups and the barrels last for generations of high volume shooting.

No offense, but, you gets what you paid for...
Old October 4, 2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Virginian

The Mossberg utilizes an aluminum receiver so "cheap steel" doesn't enter into the equation, and it is also most definitely NOT Parkerizing on the receiver. I don't recall seeing Parkerizing on a 500 period. Parkerizing is as expensive as bluing. In my experience the less than smooth finishes employed on less expensive models do not wear as well, but I would not worry about minor wear marks as the 500 is a very well regarded platform. If the fore end is rubbing the barrel, fix it.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:56 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Mossberg offers a marinecote finish, I could not find anything about Parkerized finishes
Old October 4, 2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

You can't Parkerize aluminum.
Old October 5, 2012, 05:32 AM   #7
Pistolgripshotty

Pistol Grips!!!
Old October 5, 2012, 09:42 PM   #8
9mm

It is parkerized, its the 500 model 12g in the "green sportsman" type box. Right from the gun shop/factory. I will look at my box for it's model number and will show photos of wear in then next 48 hours.
Old October 6, 2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Again- aluminum can't be Parkerized. It might be painted, but it's not Parkerized.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Slopemeno

It's likely matte finished, anodized aluminum. That is- bead blasted prior to being anodized.

Look, any time you have a matte finish, it's actually easy to scratch. Here's why: When the piece of metal is bead blasted, it looks like the surface of the moon- lots of craters, peaks, and valleys. When another piece of metal wears against it, the tops of those peaks wears off easily.

For a 'working gun" , be that a defensive piece or a hunting rifle, some honest wear isn't a bad thing. it means that thing isn't a hangar queen. "That one? Oh, that was when I took a header down that hillside. That one? That was..." you get the idea.

You can have your gun refinished. My own experience is the various "kotes" seem to give great protection at a reasonable cost. I have an older Mossberg 500 8-shot that I'd like to get done, as it's seen better days.
Old October 6, 2012, 07:36 PM   #11
9mm

Yup, matte finish what the box says. model number 50780. I thought it was parkerized. Finish will wear quicker then. I am still very happy with it.