The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 31, 2010, 02:02 PM   #1
olmontanaboy

1841 Mississippi rifle

Anybody have any experience with the Euroarms or Armi Sport Mississippi. How do they handle compared to the Remington Zouave? I think I remember the origionals were .54 cal. and the new repros come in either .54 or .58 cal. Any known problems with the repros? Would Armi sport and Euroarms be of the same quality?
Old October 31, 2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Hawg

Some of the originals were rebored to .58. I don't have any personal knowledge about Euroarms but I have a .58 Enfield made by ArmiSport thats nice and very accurate. It's not a dead ringer for an original but is close enough.
Old October 31, 2010, 03:59 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

insights into the original

When they were rebored to .58 caliber, the twist was changed for the minie ball. A new rear sight was added on the gun to take advantage of the extended range the minie has over the round ball. There was an article in The American Rifleman a few years back on the original gun and its modification.

Sorry I can't advise you on the repros. If no one can help you here, the N-SSA has a lot of guys who can.
Old October 31, 2010, 05:19 PM   #4
olmontanaboy

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that the .54 was rifled for the round ball and .58 for the minie. I already have a couple of .58 minie molds so I think I might go that way. In the early seventys I had a Zouave and liked it but I like the looks of the Mississippi a lot too.