The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 14, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1
newarcher

Carrying update

I have had my new Kimber 45 for about two weeks or better now and I have been carrying it every chance I get. I had to put some new, smooth grips on it...those stock grips are beautiful but feel like 80 grit sandpaper. I put on some smooth rosewood grips that are great.

I am carrying a Kimber CDP Ultra cocked and locked. When at work (can't carry there) I carry the clip in so that if someone steals it they won't have 16 rounds of ammo to go with it and will probably shoot themselves trying to figure out the safeties.

Noteworthy places I have carried:

-Dog walks each night.
-To the bank today (went to a branch my friend (he guards the bank on Saturdays) thinking that I would do a test run on the bank at his bank. He was off....cop never even looked at me.
-To the biscuit shack where I had to wait about 10 minutes with people who were seated and had their heads at my hip level.
-To the varsity (food place) today.
-several other food establishments, Wally worlds, etc.

I am glad to say that I am over my worries about somone spotting me, I don't do the tells showing my gun location, and I don't really care about the cops. I am legal and they will not give me any troubles.

It is a liberating feeling to know that unless someone is a better shot, better heeled, or just plain lucky, I can handle any situation that arises that requires me to defend my family.

New
Old July 15, 2007, 04:03 PM   #2
jfrey123

I see this is an update, and I must've missed the original post. Just to claify in my mind, you are open or concealed carrying here?
Old July 15, 2007, 08:25 PM   #3
Tanzer

You can't forecast when you might need it. If your permit is not restricted, why pick and choose? Put it on in the morning & get used to the feel. I'd almost guarantee that if you ever need it, it will be at a time you didn't expect to. You hear about incidents at Wal-mart, McDonald's etc, but you don't hear about the incidents at Loretta's Laundromat. When you wear it periodically, you notice it, but when it's always there, you don't. Just take it off before going into the shower.
Be safe.

Last edited by Tanzer; July 15, 2007 at 11:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 15, 2007, 08:31 PM   #4
CyberSEAL

I carry everywhere I physically can. Concealed means concealed so I've never had any problems. Are you mentally prepared for an encounter?
Old July 16, 2007, 07:46 AM   #5
newarcher

Concealed carry with just a T-shirt and blue jean shorts!

New
Old July 16, 2007, 08:14 AM   #6
Tanzer

Get a long T-shirt and don't tuck it in. You'll have to make some concessions. I carry a Kimber Ultracarry II .45 cal, and went out to Kohl's to get some short sleeve button down shirts in extra tall. Heck, I could conceal my S&W 686 if I wanted (I don't go to the beach). If you're not willing to sacrifice your dress code you need a Kel-tec or KAHR or something.
Old July 16, 2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Dwight55

Newarcher, . . . it is not a 1911, . . . and it's only .380, . . . but my Bersa thunder .380 disappears in the front pocket of my $10 Wally world jeans, . . . whether they're cut off or not.

A long tee left out over the belt line, . . . only those carrying similar would ever guess, . . . and then it is just that, . . . a guess.

If you have to carry the Kimber, . . . put on a wife beater undershirt, . . . IWB holster, . . . regular tee untucked, . . . you're good to go.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 19, 2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Bob F.

Hungry booger, ain't cha?
Old July 19, 2007, 10:08 PM   #9
Playboypenguin

It is amazing how quickly carrying becomes second nature. You very quickly get to the point where you feel naked without your gun.