The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 12, 1999, 01:29 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gatling Guns have been with us for over 100 years now. While calibres have changed, ammunition has been improved, and motors (first steam, now electric) have been added, they are still Richard Gatlings' basic multibarrel weapon. They've served in America, Africa, Asia and Europe and evolved from horse drawn weapon to airborne. As part of our nation's firearms heritage, they, alongside with the flintlock rifle, have earned their rightful place in everybody's (non-felon of course) home. Provided we don't motorized it ourselves, there isn't any legal restriction which I'm aware of.

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited 01-12-99).]
Old January 12, 1999, 08:57 PM   #2
GLV

And Vollmer has a bunch of them. GLV
Old January 12, 1999, 09:27 PM   #3
swehrman

I think the only legal restriction is the feeding device because of the large capacity magazine ban.
Old January 13, 1999, 03:15 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Would have to modify the feed device to take cloth sewn ammo belts; just like the ones John M. Browning use to sew for his MGs!
Old January 13, 1999, 11:07 PM   #5
danbrew

Sorry, Gary, the sewing of those cloth belts would be the manufacture of a new "large capacity ammunition feeding device".

You'd have to use preban belts. <snicker, snicker - but the truth!>

danbrew :->
Old January 13, 1999, 11:12 PM   #6
Rob Pincus

I think Gary meant to use the cloth ammo belts that are still in existence. My unerstanding is the same as yours, dan.

Question.. would a hopper that you dumped ammo into be consider a hi-cap mag? (my guess is: Yes, if the ATF Agent who was asked felt like saying, "yes."

------------------
-Essayons
Old January 14, 1999, 04:54 PM   #7
David

Now you guys are really getting me excited.

I had the opportunity to check out several of the motorized versions in .223, .308 and even
20 mm cannon. I also saw some old .45-70 crank versions, with and without barrel jackets. As I recall, Dillion has a dozen or so of the .308's, and some of them are transferrable.

I even got to handle the one you see Arnold play with in the movies, as well as the chopped-down 20mm cannon that is featured in "Armageddon". They said the 20 mm was little loud?!

If I won a Superball lottery, can you guess what I would be getting?
Old January 15, 1999, 08:40 PM   #8
danbrew

Shoot - that's a whole 'nother topic. If I won the superball/powerball/whatever, first I'd live in sin for about six months. Then I'd buy every machinegun I'd ever looked at for more than 2 seconds. Then I'd go buy an island somewhere and open a bar. And an island gun range. And an A-10 theme park. And... <grin>
Old February 18, 1999, 08:41 AM   #9
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

It's nice to know that others fantasy's of winning the lottery are very similar to mine
Old February 18, 1999, 04:57 PM   #10
cornered rat

My hope, give the resources, would be to simply comb the world for the kind of crowd I see here. Get enough like-minded people, set up an enclave of our own. Make sure that RPG and related hardware are viewed the same way toothbrushes are...decay preventers.

------------------
If you believe in freedom and means of protecting it...you might be a gun nut.
http://ddb.com/RKBA

Old February 22, 1999, 03:18 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Cornered Rat,

Be sure it's like Switzerland, Sparta and Israel with every citizen a soldier.

Gary
Old February 25, 1999, 09:59 AM   #12
cornered rat

I disagree with the concept of drafting people...basically gets lots of productive people out of what they are doing and into combat training.

However, I would "encourage" (and how a government can encourage without use of incentives [aka tax-funded bribes] or propaganda [paid for by ads?]) the practice of proficiency with smallarms and RPGs. A small professional army may be possible, though paying for it would be the sticky point.

My guess is that having most households well-armed (which would happen based on the requirements for citizenship and imigratin in general) would do as a deterrent. Since no taxes or bad laws would hinder production and purchases of arms, I'd expect that they would be relatively inexpensive.

My hope would be to reduce the "govt" to a PR agency. It would not even be able to enforce immigration limits for lack of coast guard or any other alphabet soup agency...would just hope that the peculiar character of the country would keep the riff-raff looking for outright hand-outs away [since there would be no social services OR any call for pro politicians]. The only question is how to select the "govt PR staff" and I would just leave that up to whoever wants to deal with the issue as a hobby...

Dream on, right?

------------------
If you believe in freedom and means of protecting it...you might be a gun nut.
http://ddb.com/RKBA

Old March 11, 1999, 06:19 PM   #13
Hairball

Once I saw a kit in the back of a gun magazine (cant remember which one) that sold .22LR gatling gun plans and a list of where to get the parts, and if i remember right, it had a "hopper" that you just dumped ammo into, and it sent it out the other end of the weapon faster then you could blink... (with a hand crank of course)

anyone else ever see this? if so, has anyone ever actually built one?

[This message has been edited by Hairball (edited March 11, 1999).]
Old March 17, 1999, 09:26 AM   #14
Brett Bellmore

So, if I understand this right, I could build a gatling gun, designed to take the 100 rd. magazines I've got now for my Calico? So long as I didn't motorize it, of course. (Would a little slot in the hub I could insert a power screwdriver into count as "motorizing" it?) Sounds like a fun project!
Old March 17, 1999, 10:30 AM   #15
Hairball

Yup, as long as you DO NOT motorize it, its perfectly legal. Now, i dont know if you need to register it, or maybe have a license to build firearms though.

I beleive there something about gearing it to. Maybe only like 1 turn of the crack per shot or something. Because hell, you could grab your 10 or 21 speed bicycle and hook it up and make that thing fire faster than a motor could ever turn it.
Old March 18, 1999, 04:59 PM   #16
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know too much about the latest crop of "Gatling" guns, but you would be heck put to use a belt with an original, and trying to do so would probably "roon" a $200 grand antique firearm. I would also like to see the guy who could crank a Vulcan. The little GE Mini-Gun is a possibility. I once tried to persuade GE Marketing to put a crank on it and sell it through the home appliance division. They declined my idea.
Old March 18, 1999, 06:24 PM   #17
Hal

I am afraid to ask how much they are. I don't think I could afford the shipping, let alone the ammo to shoot one.
http://www.dixiegun.com/brochure/gatling.htm
but I can always dream right?

------------------
A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined;
George Washington Jan 8,1790--There can be no doubt about the Second Amendment.