The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 10, 2002, 01:15 PM   #1
Kentucky Rifle

New Gunbelt--Rafter Gunleather

I ordered a new gunbelt a couple of weeks ago and I received it via priority mail yesterday. I have to say, it's the nicest gunbelt I've ever purchased! Extra thick brown shark skin over cow hide. It's a beautiful belt. I'm going to order the matching shark skin holster the first of next month. It's a beautiful brown two-tone shark holster. The shark gunbelt I just received is 1.25 inches wide because it's for my J-frames. I'll order a black belt & holster next month for my Glock 27, but the Glock, being a little heavier will get a 1.5 inch belt. The shark is so good looking, I'll probably end up buying the same set up in black also for my Glock. However, Rafter offers all kinds of exotic skins for belts and holsters. Elephant, alligator, ostrich, etc...plus regular cow hide. The best part was the price. A genuine shark skin gunbelt is only $65.00! A shark holster is the same price.
I'm VERY satisfied with Rafter. Their website address is: http://www.raftersgunleather.com
Have a look. Their stuff is beautiful!

KR
Old August 11, 2002, 11:19 AM   #2
HKguy9

Well, post a picture already!

I thought about having Steve do me a pouch for my cell phone...he said his son did one for his own cell phone but he has a different model than I do...

Anyway I will probably order an elephant in the next day or two. Methinks the ostrich looks quite nice. Unfortunatley, I don't care for their holster and magpouch designs or I'd get a complete set.
Old August 11, 2002, 12:23 PM   #3
garrettwc

Kentucky, I have the black sharkskin set up for my 1911 over on the Sunnyside of Louavull. It is very sharp.
Old August 11, 2002, 03:09 PM   #4
Kentucky Rifle

Skunkabilly: Unfortunately, I can't post a picture. However, you can go to their website and there are many pictures of much greater quality than I could ever hope to take.

WaltherP99man: I'll bet that 1911 looks great in black shark skin! I'm definitely going to get a black shark skin set-up for my Glock 27. This stuff is beautiful!

I don't think I've ever been so happy with a product I've purchased off the 'net. Unless, of course, you don't count Larry Correia's "Molon Labe" stuff.

KR
Old August 11, 2002, 03:34 PM   #5
Fred

Another satisfied Rafter S customer here!

they make a very nice product at a very good price.
Old August 15, 2002, 06:13 PM   #6
Kentucky Rifle

What the heck...bought some more

I decided...why wait?
The 1.25 inch wide brown shark skin gunbelt was SO nice, I went ahead and ordered the matching brown shark skin holster for J-frames. Then, I ordered a 1.5 inch black shark skin gunbelt (Glocks are a little heavier than Airlites, thus the extra .25 inch.) and matching black shark skin holster for my Glock 27. Silver buckle!
This is beautiful equipment. Rafter is artistry for your carry pistols!

Kentucky Rifle
Old August 15, 2002, 06:26 PM   #7
HKguy9

Bought an elephant belt yesterday. They said it'll be in within 3 weeks...can't wait. 1.5", hopefully it will fit my suit, if not, I will get an ostrich or alligator in 1.25"
Old August 15, 2002, 08:49 PM   #8
garrettwc

Quote:
by KentuckyRifle
I decided...why wait?
The 1.25 inch wide brown shark skin gunbelt was SO nice, I went ahead and ordered the matching brown shark skin holster for J-frames. Then, I ordered a 1.5 inch black shark skin gunbelt (Glocks are a little heavier than Airlites, thus the extra .25 inch.) and matching black shark skin holster for my Glock 27. Silver buckle!
This is beautiful equipment. Rafter is artistry for your carry pistols!
Told ya! Steve and Della are great. And when you call you are talking to the guy who's gonna make your holster. Nothing like personalized service.
Old August 16, 2002, 02:35 AM   #9
Modifiedbrowning

I received my belt from them about two days ago, it is better than expected. I ordered the black cowhide.
Old August 16, 2002, 05:09 AM   #10
STEVE M

What's there delivery time like?
Old August 16, 2002, 07:47 AM   #11
garrettwc

Quote:
Modifiedbrowning
I received my belt from them about two days ago, it is better than expected.
Same here. I bought mine for the price and expected just a decent range holster. The fit and finish on what I received was way above that. The pictures on the website don't do them justice.

Quote:
Steve M
What's their delivery time like?
Mine was in stock so it was only like 2 days. Ordered on Wednesday night for a Saturday match. Got everything Friday morning.

It will vary depending on availability, but Steve is very accomodating. If you need one on a deadline for a class or something he will try his best to get it ready in time. If he can't he'll tell you up front.
Old August 16, 2002, 09:31 AM   #12
Kentucky Rifle

Steve M...

Steve & Della say two to three weeks. However, I received my first order in 2 weeks and 1 day.

Skunkabilly: The elephant skin is beautiful! (On the Rafter website it says that the elephant hide stuff just might be tougher than the shark skin stuff!!) However, I talked to Steve yesterday about wearing a 1.5 inch belt with suits. He told me that "1.5 inches is usually too big for a suit, or Docker pants". But, look at it this way. Now, you can get the ostrich or alligator gunbelt in 1.25 inch width! As far as I'm concerned, you just can't have too much hand-made Rafter stuff around. It looks like it belongs in a museum! (I thought long and hard about getting the ostrich instead of the shark.)

KR
Old August 30, 2002, 03:21 PM   #13
Kentucky Rifle

Man~~This IS difficult to describe...

I just heard a knock at my front door. I answered, and it was the little mail lady with a priority package from "Rafter Gun Leather". Immediately, I thought of the order I placed two weeks and one day ago. The exact length of time my first order took to arrive at my front door. I liked the dark brown shark skin gunbelt from the first order SO much that I ordered the matching J-frame shark holster. In addition, I placed an order for a 1.5 inch black shark skin gunbelt with a silver buckle and matching black shark skin holster for my Glock 27. But, would the order be "right". Three items this time instead of just one. I opened the box slowly and...I was very pleasently surprised to find the order not only "right", but MUCH better looking than I had anticipated. You see, I've got this "thing" for shark skin. And THIS shark skin was absolutely beautiful!
I'm looking at the black shark skin gunbelt/holster combo with my G27 resting perfectly inside. Not one sliver of light passes through the trigger guard. The "light" (haha) Glock trigger is completely covered and snug. I'm wearing the brown shark gunbelt and my J-frame is in the brown J-frame shark holster. The stuff from Rafter is pure ART!!
I couldn't BE more happy with Rafter. Can you tell?
Oh, and one more thing. The prices were...well, fantastic!

Kentucky Rifle
Old August 30, 2002, 03:45 PM   #14
porschefan

Not only is the quality top notch, the service is even better.

I posted about this earlier, but I wanted to mention that I ordered belts from them a while ago and lost a bunch of weight waiting for them.

When i got them they didn't fit, and Steve and Della had me send them back and made me new ones. Can you believe that?

Now, I tell everyone that needs a gunbelt to check them out.
Old August 30, 2002, 04:07 PM   #15
garrettwc

Quote:
You see, I've got this "thing" for shark skin. And THIS shark skin was absolutely beautiful!
Been There Done That. It's so pretty you'll have to get a polished Caspian slide for your Glock now!
Old August 30, 2002, 04:54 PM   #16
Kentucky Rifle

Well, WaltherP...

The only thing I know for sure is that I'll be buying MORE from Rafter Gun Leather in the future!
And my black G27 looks great in black shark skin!

KR
Old August 30, 2002, 05:18 PM   #17
LASur5r

Kentucky Rifle

I must admit, they are some good looking leather....uh....skin.... uh, pelt?
Old August 30, 2002, 06:14 PM   #18
OF

I ordered a black 1.5" cowhide in 38" and when it showed up, it was waaay too small. I measured it, and sure enough it was the right measurement (38" to the middle hole). I ordered 38" because I wear 38" waist pants (both jeans and dress pants). Weird.

Rafter S had me send it back to them and I got a bigger one, which arrived today. It rocks

Great belt, great customer service.

- Gabe
Old August 31, 2002, 10:36 AM   #19
Kentucky Rifle

Gabe...

I wear 38" pants too. You have to order the belt in a 40" to allow room for the holster.
(Also, the belt, being a gunbelt is thicker. Thus, requiring a larger size.)
Both of my size 40" Rafter gunbelts, buckle in the third notch back from the end. One notch shy of the middle hole. But I'm on this damn diet and have lost 14 pounds. I expect the buckle to be in the middle hole in a month. Cholesterol and Triglyicerides were WAY too high, and heart attacks run in my family like brown hair. Five to ten more pounds down ought to do it for me. (Down to 220 now!) Actually, 220 doesn't look bad on a guy who's 6'3" tall. I'll probably look skinny at 210.
However, I guess it'll be better for the hip replacement.

KR
Old August 31, 2002, 02:11 PM   #20
OF

KR,

I never even got the holster on! I wear 38's with room for an IWB holster everyday, but the 38" RafterS belt wouldn't even buckle all by itself, even though it measured 38 to the middle hole. I guess it must be a combination of the belt being so much thicker than my old Don Hume (which was hardly even a gunbelt, really) and me getting so much...more pear-shaped lately.

The one I have now is a 42" and it fits like a dream. 4th hole from the end solo, and 3rd hole with my G29 and KyTac Braveheart. I'm in heaven!

I'm 6'2" 225 right now, I used to be 195. Ugh. But it's a small price to pay for all the great food my wife cooks me

- Gabe
Old September 2, 2002, 10:51 AM   #21
Kentucky Rifle

At first I thought it was my imagination...

I reckon it possibly could be the .25 inch wider belt, however I really do believe my G27 feels better in the Rafter holster than my J-frame. (Which weighs little more than half what the Glock weighs.) Perhaps I should have purchased my brown shark skin belt in the 1.5 inch width instead of 1.25 inch. Anyway, the Glock is (a little) more comfortable to wear. And, BOTH pistols are FAR more comfortable in the Rafter set-ups than anything else I've tried.
The only mistake I made was forgetting to order spare mag & speed loader cases.

KR