The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 17, 2001, 11:26 AM   #1
Poodleshooter

Duck hunting

How do you guys do it? Personally, I'm planning on doing a float trip in my canoe down local rivers and jump shooting 'em. ( I don't have any private land to hunt from a blind from). Lets hear some stories, cause the early seasons are only a month away!
Old August 17, 2001, 11:53 AM   #2
sapienza

Personally, Duck Hunting for me usually takes on the form of a Nintendo Entertainment System and being laughed at by some damn dog.

YMMV, of course!
Old August 17, 2001, 02:16 PM   #3
CD1

We hunt private land in AR. We have 2400 acres of flooded rice to hunt. We mainly hunt from blinds (land just got leveled and we are in the process of putting the pits back in). Last year we got about 5 weeks worth of frozen fields. We couldnt bust enough ice to hunt. In that situation we hunt the dry parts of the farm. Ducks were were in the dry rice by the tens of thousands when everything froze up.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to bring the campstove to cook the bacon, eggs, and fresh duck. A friend of ours has a 15 man pit with a full size gas stove in it. Thats nice because he can cook bisuits too. One of the best duck recipes Ive had was a duck that we just shot, cut the breast out of, and cooked in the pan that we had cooked bacon in earlier that morning. Very good.
Old August 18, 2001, 09:10 PM   #4
ralphtt

Stay on the inside of the turns . . .

in the river and you'll jump plenty of ducks within shotgun range. Used to float the S. Holston River here in NW Tennessee, especially during our wood duck season in September and had good luck, especially on the first couple days. After that, the ducks seemed to wise up, but it was only a five day season.

Floating the river works OK during the later duck season too, but it's getting kinda' cold by then and have to be REAL CAREFUL to keep the canoe away from any white water!

Now, I mainly jump shoot ducks off several farm ponds where I have cultivated hunting privileges through the years. Keeps me out of other kinds of trouble during the winter months.

Good luck . . . you're gonna' enjoy yourself!
Old August 20, 2001, 07:54 PM   #5
Turk

I usally hunt an irrigation reservoir which only has 3-4 blinds. I also do some jump shooting in farm ponds.

Turk
Old August 23, 2001, 06:04 PM   #6
Poodleshooter

Got my Federal duck stamp and my HIP number today....c'mon September 1st!!!!! That's the opening day of native Canada season here in Virginny -early teal starts 2 weeks later