The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 5, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1
rebs

gun safe ?

You guys that have a gun safe, do you keep other valuables in it or do you have a second safe for other valuables ?
Old March 5, 2013, 04:13 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Re: gun safe ?

I keep a couple valuable things in mine, but for my most valuable things I use a bank security box.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:31 PM   #3
swcc22

I keep some gold sliver and a little cash in mine but mines water proof, and good for an hour in a fire.

It aslo has a 12 bolt door.

I dont like banks just me.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:37 PM   #4
RonR6

I keep one shelf for jewelry/valuables and I also have a shelf for mags, choke tubes and other important firearms parts
Old March 5, 2013, 04:48 PM   #5
orangello

I don't have much else of any real value, but there are door compartments in mine for documents and some zip pouches for jewelry or whatever. I do keep a really nice pocket knife in there.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:00 PM   #6
rebs

Have you guys considered that if someone were to break into your gun safe that they will get everything you have in there.
I am leaning toward a second smaller safe that can be hidden and bolted to the floor. Use the smaller one just for some jewelry, cash and coins etc.
Do you think I am being paranoid ?
Old March 5, 2013, 05:05 PM   #7
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
Have you guys considered that if someone were to break into your gun safe that they will get everything you have in there.
I am leaning toward a second smaller safe that can be hidden and bolted to the floor. Use the smaller one just for some jewelry, cash and coins etc.
It would take a whole lot to get into a decent gun safe. With other security measures in place (alarm connected to a company that can contact police) I would not be too worried about it even if I were going to be on a vacation. If I was only going to spend $300 on a safe? Then yeah, I'd worry because it won't stop a burglar for too long at all.

I have a decent safe, but I still feel better keeping my most valuable items in a bank because the bank still is a little safer.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:12 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Jewelry, passports, titles, death certs, old coins, extra blank checks, etc., etc., etc.,

Quote:
THAT depends on where YOU live and your local crime scenario. Where I live it is VERY low
Old March 5, 2013, 05:32 PM   #9
tynman

Why do you know some thieves that might be looking??? LOL

Well I have a few steps of security before you can get to my safe.
1 alarm on home
2 100 lbs dog sleeping at the front door
3 then ME the owner
4 then the safe (and a good one)

So Im not to worried about it.

I do keep diffrent things in there but Im slowly running out of room as my collection grows.... LOL
Old March 5, 2013, 05:56 PM   #10
sunaj

I will add that leaving all your guns in your safe also tells a thief exactly where all your guns ARE,
safes are not as hard to break as some people think, at least the cheaper ones
Old March 5, 2013, 08:32 PM   #11
rebs

I don't really like banks either and they won't let you keep cash in a safety deposit box. I had a friend that had a checking and a savings account, the irs took just over 5000.00 from him before even letting him know there was a mistake on his tax return. It turned out when he got a tax lawyer there was no mistake and they made him jump through hoops to get his money back, it took several months. A gun safe is difficult to hide, thats why I am looking for a smaller easier to hide safe that can be bolted to the floor
Old March 6, 2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Hardcase

I keep some important papers, passports and such in a firebox in the safe. Sort of belt and suspenders, I guess.

What a couple of guys have said about a determined thief breaking into what we call a safe is certainly true, but that's not why I have a safe...er, residential security container. My aim is to protect against some tweaker who's looking for stuff to steal to make his next meth buy or to safeguard the stuff inside in case there's a fire or flood. It's sort of like locking up my car at night - if somebody really, really wants it, a locked door isn't going to stop them.

Besides, there's plenty of other stuff not in the safe that's awfully inviting to a thief.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:22 PM   #13
tynman

I can give you a few diffrent ways to hide your guns and other stuff but like you said its hard to hide a safe...LOL But I dont know how fast you will be able to get to them when you need them....
Old March 6, 2013, 05:37 PM   #14
velillen

My main safe houses most of my guns (all valuable ones), some ammo, and documents (big item receipts, passport, house stuff, ect)

I have a smaller one that is electronic keypad that I use daily. It houses my edc gun when not in use and my bedside gun when not home. It also has ammo in it
Old March 6, 2013, 07:01 PM   #15
bluewaterlover

my safe has all of my valuable weapons in it plus the important reloading stuff and ammo stuff, then a small amount of room for the wife's important stuff -- that's getting smaller all the time, ha ha
Old March 6, 2013, 10:13 PM   #16
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I don't really like banks either and they won't let you keep cash in a safety deposit box.
And how would they know WHAT you have in there?
Old March 6, 2013, 10:22 PM   #17
TDL

There are a whole bunch of variables you need to consider.

For some people, over a 10 year period 100 people or more might see a safe in a basement or garage, and for some people no one may see it.

If it being seen by strangers, various HVAC service people, various plumbers, electricians, meter readers, guys servicing your water heater, other guys servicing your soft water system, also your washing machine, various cleaning ladies, they guy and his workmen doing your bathroom tile and washing out their buckets in your basement utility sink, teenage friends of your teenager, etc etc, a huge number of people could see it over 10 years.

Is the house empty 8 hours every day? Do you go away for weekends? how is the general security and crime rate in your neighborhood?

Are you protecting against young kids, older kids, theft, pilferage, and or fire etc? each of those actually may have very different solutions.

. Home valuables fall into two classes, things that cant be replaced and things that can be insured and replaced. If you have valuable things you are really better off photographing them and storing the images and some kind of inventory in the cloud. If your wife has a $10k ring and $15k in other jewelry you are 100x better off getting a cheap insurance rider and not worrying about getting them in safe.

Safes are much much easier to defeat than most people think. If they are seen by anyone they are actually an attractant for criminals to target your home
Old March 7, 2013, 01:27 AM   #18
KO3422

I have one safe for everything that can fit, but....I also have a smaller safe that house the everyday stuff that I access alot.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:44 AM   #19
JimmyR

Before I moved to my new place, I lived in a 1BR apartment on the 2nd floor. I didn't feel comfortable in my floors holding a heavy gun safe (or my back to carry it). I ended up getting an under-bed style safe that I slid under my dresser. The drawer slid out enough to get to it, but unless you were looking for it, you probably never would notice it. It didn't have a whole lot in terms of size, but held 8-10 handguns plus the bolts to my 2 bolt action rifles without a lot of bumping and scratching...
Old March 8, 2013, 03:34 PM   #20
Rembrandt

Have a couple, keep items that wouldn't want to loose in a fire.....photos, tax records, family keepsakes as well as guns. Why trust a bank safety deposit box when you can have your own vault at home.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:38 PM   #21
rebs

I heard that with a safety deposit box at the bank it can only be opened with both your key and the banks key, I don't really think this is true because what if you loose your key, then the box can never be opened ? There has to be a way the bank can open it without your key.
Old March 9, 2013, 03:31 PM   #22
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm all for a secondary safe for things like magazines, ammunition which is so expensive you might as well have bought gold or silver, spare optics and other accessories.
Old March 9, 2013, 05:27 PM   #23
ConstantChange

Right now, it's only firearms, ammo, etc... Besides some family photos, I don't really have much that isn't replaceable.
Old March 9, 2013, 05:28 PM   #24
Hardcase

Quote:
I heard that with a safety deposit box at the bank it can only be opened with both your key and the banks key, I don't really think this is true because what if you loose your key, then the box can never be opened ? There has to be a way the bank can open it without your key.
It can be opened. If you lose your key, the bank will have the lock drilled (at your expense, of course).
Old March 9, 2013, 07:12 PM   #25
rebs

Do they really have to have it drilled and that is the only way they can get in it ? If that is the case then maybe they are very secure.