The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 10, 2017, 10:08 PM   #1
rjinga

Ammo Question: Why and How?

This isn’t your typical “how much ammo do you have” question. Instead, I’m asking for the reasoning behind the amount of ammo you have. And, does that reasoning affect how you store your ammo?

For example, my “why” is practice/recreational shooting, and WORL situations. Therefore, my “how” is to try and keep my ammo in smaller, easily portable, cans. And, most of it is already in mags or on clips: 800 rounds of 7.62x51 in 40 mags in 10 4-pouch bandoliers; 800 rounds of 7.62x39 on 80 stripper clips; 60 rounds (and one in the chamber) of 9mm in four mags. As a further specific example, included in the previous numbers is a “combo” can with one 4-pouch 7.62x51 bandolier, 12 7.62x39 stripper clips (bandolier or pouches TBD), and a 2-mag belt pouch of 9mm. It is my “the SHTF and I only have time to grab one thing” can.

So, are you buying ammo for shooting whenever you find a good price, and then whatever is leftover goes to your heirs after you’re gone? If so, then 30k rounds in your basement in 200 lb containers isn’t a problem. However, if you’re a prepper, how many of those containers can you lug to your vehicle and/or how quickly can load loose rounds into your weapon. Do you just drop by Walmart and buy what you need on your way to the range or hunting spot? Or, are you concerned about a long-term disruption, or eventual ban, in ammunition availability?

For the sake of brevity, if your only contribution to the discussion is “you can never have too much” or “better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it” or “that’s a good start” just put this emoji on your post and we’ll all know what you mean.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old December 10, 2017, 11:12 PM   #2
Sevens

Well, I'm a hobbyist handloader. I enjoy making my ammo nearly as much as I enjoy shooting, but it takes time and my time is appropriated many ways. So I tend to have enough ammo to support my shooting and to do so without ever feeling like I need to rush ammo... rarely do I have more than a nice buffer.

Also, I am constantly experimenting with loads, so it's fun to not have 1,200 rounds of any one load/caliber.

Don't know if that answered the question.
Old December 10, 2017, 11:22 PM   #3
Scorch

I keep enough ammo on hand to feed my firearms for about a year. That sounds like a big number, but in fact may not be, depending on which gun you are talking about. Yes, I have several thousand 223s, and about 10 bricks of 22lr, but only about 100 rounds for each of my hunting rifles, about 500 rounds for each shotgun gauge, and about 100 rounds for my old obsolete cartridge guns (mainly 32-20).

Last edited by Scorch; December 10, 2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old December 11, 2017, 12:03 AM   #4
Charlie98

My 7.62 and 5.56mm ammo is in bandoliers, for portability, and I keep a few mags loaded up, but nothing excessive. Because I'm not worried about the end of the world, mostly just civil unrest and bumps in the night, I don't need a combat loadout, and the first firearms I would reach for are either my handguns or the 12ga, not a high-power rifle.

The ammo that isn't in bandos is in ammo cans... not necessarily for portability, but for organization and general storage.

As far as anything not 5.56 or 7.62mm, I reload for it almost 100%. I reload in batches (say 1000rds of .45, 1000rds of .41, 500rds of .30-06, etc...) so sometimes I have a lot, sometimes not. I'm not a big 'pet load' chaser, I just find what works and move on to the next thing.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 11, 2017, 12:42 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Several reasons I have a decent-sized ammunition inventory.

I want to have enough on hand that I'm not held hostage to the whims of the panic-buying crowd whose predictable paranoia causes periodic and sometimes extended ammunition shortages and price spikes.

Prices, over the long term tend to go up. Buying large quantities when I can find a good deal means that in the long run I pay less for it. I'm still shooting .22LR that I purchased for less than 2 cents a round, 9mm and 7.62x39 that I bought for about around 10 cents a round, and 7.62x25 that I bought for under 7 cents a round.

I may not always have the disposable income that I do at the moment. I use some of that income to build up a stockpile that will be available later in life.

Finally, it gives me a nice warm feeling to know I have a lot of ammo.
Old December 11, 2017, 01:05 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I’m asking for the reasoning behind the amount of ammo you have.
My reasoning for what I have is simple, I wanted it, and I bought it (or bought components and made it).

The main reason I have as much as I do is that I bought more than I used up, over the last 40+ years, especially components, primarily bullets and brass.

I'm set up to load for over 30 different cartridges, and I do like to have a hundred or so rounds on hand for each, when possible. In calibers I have multiple guns for, I have considerably more...

I have also made bulk purchases of ammo on occasion, and haven't used it all up, yet, either.

I don't live where any natural disaster that would both require, and allow me the time to move important goods can happen without at least a few hours notice, and a few days is more realistic. The idea that having only what you can have loaded up and ready to go, to throw in the truck and beat feet to some safer place has merit, but I don't think it's all that applicable to some of us. If it is, for you, then by all means, prepare for that.

I learned the hard way that one should store their ammo in cans/boxes no bigger than you can conveniently lift, by yourself, no matter how many that takes. Trust me, a wood crate (3.5" rocket) full of .44 Magnum ammo becomes a danger to your back, especially as one gets older. My max now is .50 Cal ammo cans. (which hold 5,000rnds of .22LR quite nicely )
Old December 11, 2017, 08:07 AM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
I want to have enough on hand that I'm not held hostage to the whims of the panic-buying crowd whose predictable paranoia causes periodic and sometimes extended ammunition shortages and price spikes.
This describes my rationale perfectly. My planning is based on how often I shoot plus the period of the longer panics we've seen (18 months in some cases). So, maybe not much M2 ball on hand; but a lot of 9mm and 5.56.
Old December 11, 2017, 10:50 AM   #8
peterg7

Ammo Question: Why and How?

Handgun: self defense ammo is stored in ammo cans separated by caliber, plinking is the most used together in cans.

I keep handguns for SD and plinking, shotguns for hunting.

Handgun ammo is about 1K per caliber in .380, .45acp and .40S&W bulk being fmj bought locally with cash because I don’t believe in Credit cards.

Shotgun I roll my own in bird and buckshot, buying slugs and sabots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by peterg7; December 11, 2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old December 11, 2017, 02:15 PM   #9
DMK

I agree with everything JohnKSa said and the majority of my ammo is milsurp in cases and spam cans.

I do however have two clearly marked 50 cal ammo cans that I can grab and go for an emergency.

One can has hollow point ammo for my primary CCW handguns and BUGs (9mm, 45ACP and 38 special). This ammo is in boxes, since the mags for those guns are already loaded and on my person, in my car and in my go bags. The second ammo can has loaded AK and AR mags.
Old December 11, 2017, 02:54 PM   #10
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Several reasons I have a decent-sized ammunition inventory.
Well said!

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old December 11, 2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Targa

Depends on what gets alot of range use. I like to keep a couple thousand in stock for .22lr and .223 (wife loves range days with the AR). At least a thousand of 9mm and 7.62x39. A couple hundred .380acp, .44 mag, 45lc and .45acp. A hundred rounds on hand for the .454 is plenty... I also keep a couple hundred rounds in stock to feed the 12 gauges.
This isn’t for end of the world stuff, I don’t play that game but more to just have some rounds available to play with when and if the shelfs are a bit sparce or expensive.
Hunting stuff I kind of just buy as I go.
Old December 11, 2017, 03:04 PM   #12
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
I learned the hard way that one should store their ammo in cans/boxes no bigger than you can conveniently lift, by yourself, no matter how many that takes. Trust me, a wood crate (3.5" rocket) full of .44 Magnum ammo becomes a danger to your back, especially as one gets older. My max now is .50 Cal ammo cans. (which hold 5,000rnds of .22LR quite nicely )
I started with .50 cal cans, but now I'm using mostly .30 cal cans. My combo can (mentioned on opening post) is a .50 cal can and it weighs in at 17.8 lbs. My 7.62x51 bandoliers are in three .50 cal cans also. Each can has 12 mags with 240 rounds; 22.4 lbs. However, a single .30 cal can will hold 400 7.62x39 rounds on 40 stripper clips; 19.6 lbs.

Old December 11, 2017, 03:09 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

I keep enough on hand to be able ride out a 4-5 year lack of availability.

Other than 9mm and rimfire stuff, there isn't much loaded ammunition on hand, though.
The last few years have seen only a few boxes of loaded ammo maintained on-hand for many rifles and some rarely-fired handguns, and often little more than 200-300 rounds ready to roll for most of the other firearms.
And, for a few things, like the .475 Tremor and .480 Ruger, I don't keep more than one to two boxes (20-50 rounds) of loaded ammo on hand, just because it's far too easy to shoot it all ... and it ain't cheap to replace!

The majority of my "ammunition" is in component form. Lots of brass. Plenty of powder. A nice assortment of primers. A buffet of bullets. And, of course, bullet molds, lead alloys, sizing dies, and plenty of lube ... just in case a 'dry spell' lasts a decade too long.
I put it together when necessary.

Nothing lives in a container bigger than a box the same size as, or an actual .50-cal ammo can (heavy stuff); or a Kirkland animal cracker container (lighter stuff, like brass).

One of the biggest factors contributing to keeping low numbers of loaded ammunition on hand over the last few years has actually been the discontinuation of so many bullets that I had been using (I'm looking at you, most of all, Speer!). As such, I've had to do a lot more development of loads using alternative bullets, and it's rarely a good idea to load up a whole bunch of untested ammunition.
Old December 12, 2017, 08:32 PM   #14
kenny53

I have a lot of ammo for all calibers I have. I still buy more, I think it's a disease. Some of it is SHTF, EOTWAWKI type stuff. I do know when the 22 shortage happened it did not effect me. I could go a year or two not replacing ammo I have shot and I would still be okay. I try and keep most my ammo in NATO calibers.