The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2017, 06:50 AM   #1
Fox84

My Mossberg truck gun rusting

A week ago I put a shockwave pistol in a compartment inside my SUV. The gun is in a scabbard with just the grip sticking out. I checked it yesterday and signs of rust already covering barrel. I was thinking being parkerized would help. I was thinking oily gun sock next. Any better ideas?
Old November 29, 2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Virginian

Is that real Parkerizing or matte bluing ?
Old November 29, 2017, 08:35 AM   #3
Fox84

Not sure on the finish. It could be Krylon matte black soon.
Old November 29, 2017, 11:31 AM   #4
sixgunnin

as long as it will not eventually hurt functionality I wouldn't worry about the rust, I am not that bothered by rust and I don't think someone that sticks a knife in your window would be either
Old November 29, 2017, 12:33 PM   #5
WarPig1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox84 View Post
I was thinking oily gun sock next. Any better ideas?
That will just trap moisture. I'd money it's matte blue and not park. Nice cheap way to put a "finish" on a gun.
If it's going to live in the truck get hold of some Minwax or Johnson's paste wax.
Use a hairdryer to heat the metal and melt the wax on. Car wax works too just less durable. Waxing is an old duck hunter trick.
Old November 29, 2017, 12:56 PM   #6
Dufus

Sometimes a cheap leather holster (aka scabbard) can rust a gun.

You also can get a gunsock that is impregnated with silicone that will offer some protection.

If you use a wax, I would use a good car wax. The are made for protecting finished metal stuff.
Old November 29, 2017, 01:44 PM   #7
GorillaGunworks

Quote:
You also can get a gunsock that is impregnated with silicone that will offer some protection.
^^^ I agree with Dufus and a Cerakote Paintjob would help protect the metal from corrosion.
Old November 29, 2017, 03:56 PM   #8
Fox84

The finish is a matte bluing. I sprayed with rust inhibitor and the rust wiped off with a rag. The scabbard is nylon and possibly was damp when put away.

I'll check again next week.
Old November 29, 2017, 05:20 PM   #9
WarPig1976

Gents, I can not stress enough how detrimental storing a firearm in a gun sock or case can be to the finish. Though not applicable in this case, I have had countless stocks through my shop with the pattern of the gun sock or case embedded into the wood finish. Moisture and/or heat being the culprit.
What is applicable here is socks/cases will trap moisture. I can't think of any place with a greater potential of condensation forming on a stored firearm then in a truck. Hot to cold "AC" to hot again and vise verse, cold to hot to cold over and over again.
Other then one of the epoxy finishes on the market or a rattle can of Rustoleum waxing is your best chance of not having that matte finish rust, oiled or not.
Waxing is a time tested way to protect metal from rusting, look it up there's info out there.
From firearms to tools to relics dug from the earth.
That's my professional opinion anywayz...
Old November 29, 2017, 06:08 PM   #10
BigJimP

Wax....or a light spray oil..like Rig #2 or Rem Oil...and then wipe and wrap it loosely in a silicone gun rag../ and check it a couple of times a week.

Condensation is your problem..hard to prevent in a metal item that you leave inside a vehicle...regardless of finish type/ keeping it out of a scabbard or pouch where you get some air circulation, thru breathable material, is better than inside a pouch.
Old November 29, 2017, 11:17 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

won't matter to you anyways.

If it's in a car, the next person who takes it will have to worry about it.
Old November 29, 2017, 11:18 PM   #12
shootniron

Truck guns are supposed to rust...
Old November 30, 2017, 09:20 AM   #13
Fox84

I wonder why my car pistols have not rusted over the years. I'am going with a damp scabbard being the cause.
Old November 30, 2017, 09:59 AM   #14
WarPig1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox84 View Post
I wonder why my car pistols have not rusted over the years. I'am going with a damp scabbard being the cause.
Polished blue VS matte blueing. Matte will rust if you look at it funny.
That's why I said whether you oil the gun or not it will rust in a vehicle.
The metal has hills and valleys with a matte blue. Oil doesn't stay where you put it so the hills are not protected almost immediately. Regardless, this isn't an essay on gun finishes, take the advice or not.....
Old December 1, 2017, 09:22 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Damp scabbed and blued gun equals rust.

A silicone gun sock should help with rust going forward.
Old December 3, 2017, 11:18 AM   #16
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Left a nasty Remington Viper .22 in my trunk for years----no case, just in the trunk left to the elements---it never rusted and always worked fine when I pulled it out to shoot it.

I didn't give a crap about that nasty thing and didn't care what happened to it---was left in the truck to roll around with whatever else was in there---but it always worked despite my neglect.
-------Metallica
Old December 3, 2017, 12:33 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...thinking being parkerized would help..." It would, somewhat, but only if the steel was kept oiled. That's the purpose of Parkerizing. Otherwise, the humidity in VA will overcome pretty much anything. Stainless Steel is your friend.
"...Waxing is a..." Yep, except there's no waxing the insides of barrels.
Old December 5, 2017, 07:48 PM   #18
Dfariswheel

There are a couple of ways to easily prevent rusting on a vehicle gun.

One is to apply a medium-heavy coat of Johnson's Paste Wax and let it dry 30 minutes, then without wiping it off, store the gun.
This is a trick used by saltwater duck hunters to keep their guns from corroding.
Many of them apply the coat of wax then warm the metal with a hairdryer to melt it. This gives a uniform coating that cools to seal the metal.
Note that car wax is NOT suitable for this use.
You can buy big yellow cans of Johnson's in most hardware stores and many Walmart's.
It's also a perfect treatment for gun leather.

A second great treatment is to use Boeshield T-9.
This is a rust preventer developed by Boeing Aircraft to prevent corrosion inside sealed wings and other areas that can't be inspected later.
This is a wax base that's sprayed on in a liberal coat, and then drys leaving a wax coating that seals the metal.
This widely used and recommended to prevent rust in many industries.
Buy online.
Old December 6, 2017, 05:17 PM   #19
mellow_c

Just buy one of these

http://palmettostatearmory.com/mossb...gun-50658.html

Of course, I dont see anything talking about extra protection for the barrel, just the receiver. So who knows?
Old December 9, 2017, 12:28 AM   #20
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow_c View Post
Just buy one of these

http://palmettostatearmory.com/mossb...gun-50658.html

Of course, I dont see anything talking about extra protection for the barrel, just the receiver. So who knows?
That's a real head scratcher... I looked up the specs on that model and the barrels are advertised as blued. So what in the hell is the point of the Marinecote applied to the non-corroding alluminum receiver, but leaving it off the barrel and magazine tube which are carbon steel???

Anyway, the standard Shockwave is advertised as parkerized. It may be matte bluing, but the one on mine does seem like the same parkerization found on the 590A1. Parkerization in and of itself doesn't protect against rust. What it is is something like a sponge... it is porous and soaks up oil nicely, providing a barrier to ward of atmospheric conditions.

You should cure the parkerization with a good corrosion preventative lube. Lots of info how to do that on the web. Basically it involves slathering the parked surfaces with the lube and applying heat and or time. This will protect nicely against rust even in humid locations.

Now I'm off to Mossberg' contact info page to let them know how stupid their marinecote Shockwave is...
Old December 30, 2017, 11:58 AM   #21
Koolmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfariswheel View Post
There are a couple of ways to easily prevent rusting on a vehicle gun.

One is to apply a medium-heavy coat of Johnson's Paste Wax and let it dry 30 minutes, then without wiping it off, store the gun.
This is a trick used by saltwater duck hunters to keep their guns from corroding.
Many of them apply the coat of wax then warm the metal with a hairdryer to melt it. This gives a uniform coating that cools to seal the metal.
Note that car wax is NOT suitable for this use.
You can buy big yellow cans of Johnson's in most hardware stores and many Walmart's.
It's also a perfect treatment for gun leather.

A second great treatment is to use Boeshield T-9.
This is a rust preventer developed by Boeing Aircraft to prevent corrosion inside sealed wings and other areas that can't be inspected later.
This is a wax base that's sprayed on in a liberal coat, and then drys leaving a wax coating that seals the metal.
This widely used and recommended to prevent rust in many industries.
Buy online.
+1 on the BoeShield. I first heard about it on a tool forum as a fix to prevent rusty tools. It has kept all my blued finished gun from any rust. I live on Cape Cod where the weather can be quite humid. Vehicles parked outside are often coated with moisture (like a lot of places I suppose), but when that moisture dries the vehicle is covered with salt streaks. It doesn't help that the village I live in has salt water on 3 sides.

Last year I bought a Henry Big Boy in 357 Mag with a blued finish. When I brought it home I coated it with the BoeShield, but missed a tiny spot under the lever. When I took the gun out of the safe a few days later everything was shiny new except for that tiny rust spot.