The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 24, 2018, 09:55 AM   #26
Lohman446

Yeh - you wouldn't believe the clothing some people are wearing in the middle of winter when you show up in a tow truck. They are rather happy to get inside and wait. Of course then they crank the heater up to high and those of us dressed to be able to cope with the weather (at least for awhile) get to hop into a truck that is then WAY to hot.

We have, as a whole, taken for granted our climate control systems and many of us do not dress for the extreme weather we may be travelling in. It ends up with many people not having the proper attire.

I'm sure the people down south look at those of us in Michigan and the like and go "what idiot lives in those climates" For the record those of us in Michigan look at the Minnesota temperatures and say much the same thing in the winter.
Old April 24, 2018, 11:37 AM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
I'm sure the people down south look at those of us in Michigan and the like and go "what idiot lives in those climates" For the record those of us in Michigan look at the Minnesota temperatures and say much the same thing in the winter.
I'm in eastern Nebraska, but grew up in the much dryer west end of the state....... and I look at the people that live in the deep South and East and wonder how they don't drown in the summer, just breathing...... in the cold, you can always add layers ...... when it's hot and dry, you can always drink water and sweat ...... when it's hot and so humid that sweat doesn't evaporate much ...... what then? Estivate?
Old April 24, 2018, 05:53 PM   #28
turkeestalker

Quote:
..... and then I look at my own teenage son
One of the most difficult things to teach both of my sons was that a hoodie is NOT a coat.
Old April 24, 2018, 11:05 PM   #29
Buzzcook

An orange poncho is something I always carry. Keeping dry comes first.
Good rubber boots with boot liners and wool socks.
The rest you can buy at Goodwill.
Old April 25, 2018, 04:40 AM   #30
NHSHOOTER

In all the posts I have read about this subject Buzzcook is the one that hit the nail on the head, rubber doesnt need to be waterproofed and in todays footwear world they make some great comfortable rubber boots for both warm and cold weather!
Old April 25, 2018, 08:08 AM   #31
jimbob86

Quote:
in todays footwear world they make some great comfortable rubber boots for both warm and cold weather!
I've never seen rubber boots that were comfortable to walk in ..... and if you walk very far, especially if you are carrying anything, your feet will perspire enough that they become damp....... and then cold when you sit down....... "Water-Proof" does not breathe..... if it does not breathe, it'll keep your own sweat inside.

Wet feet are the first step to misery. They don't even have to be cold....... warm wet feet will prune up and the skin split, too.
Old April 25, 2018, 09:38 AM   #32
Bottom Gun

A good compass might keep you from taking the long way back to camp. I always carry a reliable fire starter and a map as well.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old April 25, 2018, 04:32 PM   #33
jimbob86

Quote:
A good compass might keep you from taking the long way back to camp. I always carry a reliable fire starter and a map as well.
I have used a compass to find my stand in the dark: the stand is on the other side of a heavily wooded creek, and there's one easy place through/across it, and it's 1/2 mile across an empty field from where one can park...... I found that if I follow a bearing taken in daylight from a landmark on the edge of the field where I park, I can hit that crossing on the creek pretty reliably in the dark.
Old April 25, 2018, 05:17 PM   #34
NHSHOOTER

Hey Jimbob, Try putting some reflector pins in a few trees, they light the way when hit with a flashlight and very unnoticeable in daylight
Old April 25, 2018, 07:18 PM   #35
DPI7800

For cold I really prefer wool. It is a bit pricey but well worth it.

Next I also like using down vest and jackets for windy conditions. Down stops the wind like nothing else, provides a real nice additional layer of warmth and it stuffs real nice into small little places.
Old April 25, 2018, 08:46 PM   #36
turkeestalker

I should've clarified this before, but my outer layer for fall/winter deer season is typically either my warm or cold weather rain gear.
I've got the same cold weather gear that I purchased before my oldest was born and it's still going strong.
He'll turn 23 in June.
Still using some of the heavy weight sweats.
Still using the same blaze orange pack vest and the same Filson blaze orange wool cap with flip down ear/neck flap and oiled canvas bill.

My boys are right, I'm an old phart and I look the part.

Last edited by turkeestalker; April 27, 2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old April 25, 2018, 09:49 PM   #37
Dufus

After you get your clothing in order, don't forget the toilet paper and a handy pack shovel to cover the evidence.

If you sit a lot, the cold creeps in. first the feet, so get some good socks. I like wool socks over a cotton sock. then the hands go. Good gloves are next on the agenda. Keep your hands and feet warm and the other parts will be mostly OK.

Down here it is usually a wet cold or a dry cold. Each requires a different approach. I can stay warm in a dry cold, but a wet cold is a whole nuther ball game.

Sometimes we get by with just wearing a blaze orange tee shirt. No joke.

BUT, you are gonna be in a much cooler climate.
Old April 26, 2018, 07:49 PM   #38
GeauxTide

As a young man, I used the military stuff, but in the late 70s, I discovered Merino Wool underwear and Gore Tex. Still hunting requires warmth and I suffered stand hunting until I got a set of Browning XPO. Last year, I hunted an open field at 25 degrees with a 15mph wind for over 6 hours. Only thing cold was my uncovered nose. Price, in the absence of value, is not a consideration.
Old April 27, 2018, 01:51 AM   #39
Buzzcook

Quote:
I've never seen rubber boots that were comfortable to walk in ..... and if you walk very far, especially if you are carrying anything, your feet will perspire enough that they become damp....... and then cold when you sit down....... "Water-Proof" does not breathe..... if it does not breathe, it'll keep your own sweat inside.
Jimbob, that's why you need boot liners and socks. They help your feet breath and wick away moisture. Liners also help with fit which makes walking easier,
Old April 27, 2018, 03:04 AM   #40
HiBC

Interesting. The word "hunting" conjures up a whole lot of different scenarios...legitimately.
We live in different parts of the country.
For maybe 15 or 20 years of my life,our "spot" involved parking the truck at 10,320 feet altitude,usually after dark,driving up after work.
Then putting on a heavy pack frame and following a ridge for about 3/4 of a steep mile to the junction of two creeks.
Whispering,no fires,just the Svea stove.Mountaineering tent and a good bag.Everything we needed,we carried in.
Depending on the which season we bought our tags for,it would be Oct/Nov.
Northern Colorado weather above 9000 feet can be interesting.
Boots? I used the RedWings that are pretty much the White Name Tag Army (Korea till about early VN) black combat boot,but with Vibram lug soles.Pretty good boots.Heavy packs and rocky slopes,the leather gets shredded and the lugs wear down to nubs in about 3 to 4 years.
Light Danners are easier on the knees.
Merino sox,for sure.

My lower half outfit evolved to layering GI polypro,covered by black nylon jogging pants.NOT thewaterproof ones,but wind shell pants. Over that,I had a pair of heavy,dense old German or Belgium army wool pants,but I had them cut off and hemmed just below the knee.Easier walking,but kept my butt and thighs warm. If the situation called for them,I have gaiters.I don't like wearing them.
Added the rivet on buttons for Carhart suspenders to the wool pants.
Love the Canadian Surplus leather palm trigger mittens with wool liners.Seldom used the liners,fingerless wool gloves instead.

Parka..Cabelas sells some nice ,soft,quiet breathable GoreTex type mountain parkas. Love mine. Get it big!. A polypro long underwear top,a couple of GI field jacket liners...(The arctic parka or Desert Storm digicam parkas had a nice liner!A little longer.) I'mtalking about the stuff that's like a poncho liner.
Very light,does not hold water. A fluffy down vest in reserve if it gets cold.
And a Ragg wool balcava.

2007 myself and two brothers backpacked into the Flattops Wilderness,Colorado.
We walked in on a muddy pack trail. Camp was dry dirt and pine needles.
A storm hit that night.Intense snow,lightning,thunder.
We woke up to this

https://thefiringline.com/forums/att...5&d=1476719890

We lived on what we packed in for a week. Pretty well,actually.
Once again,"Dressing to go hunting" can mean any number of things

Last edited by HiBC; April 27, 2018 at 03:46 AM.