The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2012, 09:47 AM   #1
BPowderkeg

Lee .223 Rem. Sizing Die Problems ?

anyone using a Lee resizing die with the decapping rod with inside expander and broke the pin ? i did twice, once when the dies were still under warranty, and was sent a new decapping rod, then just this week that one broke, i discovered the pin is pressed in, i drilled out the broken pin, then using a bigger drill drill bit drilled it to the dimensions of an RCBS decapping pin and pressed it in, in the future if i break that pin i know what to do, i will NOT pay the outrageous price Lee asks for a new decapping rod !!

if anyone wants the exact sizes of drill bits needed i will post them later, my info is recorded in my log book and it is not within reach.
Old September 30, 2012, 10:29 AM   #2
5R milspec

my question is to what brass or to just what are you doing to break them.I have had all my Lee dies now for years and never broke one.

But like you I to play and come up with a fixer upper from time to time.My best so fare is the use of a finish nail in my RCBS depriming die.
Old September 30, 2012, 10:35 AM   #3
brokenanew

I was using Lee resizing. Never broke BUT it would not size well enough
To work in my AR w/o sticking in chamber badly, no matter how I adjusted the die. I ended up getting a Redding
Residing die and haven't had any probs. I use Lee for everything else though w/o probs
(shrug) that's my exp