The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2011, 09:20 PM   #1
flyguy958

Lee Hand Primer, Boo

Well I broke the handle on my Lee hand priming tool when I started using Tula primers. Read all the complaints about the handle braking before I bought the Lee, but also everyone said they would replace it. Lee change design in 10/10, no more parts. Since I hate to through anything out, so to the shop I go. Whittled this handle out after a bit. Needs a little refinement and polishing but operates good, don't think this one will break.

Also ordered a RCBS, guess I'll see which one I like best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lee.JPG (121.7 KB, 110 views)
Old August 1, 2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Miata Mike

A guy I work with says the newer hand primer handle will also work in the older Lee hand primer. Any others able to confirm this?

I stand corrected BDS-THR.

He did say he bought several new handles, but the newer ones look like they are engineered for strength. He must be ham fisted enough to seat a primer with a short stroke.

I just hope I don't break my handle as I like my old style primer.

Last edited by Miata Mike; August 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: I stand corrected
Old August 2, 2011, 08:43 AM   #3
BDS-THR

No, you cannot use the new handle with the old connecting rod/primer tray.

The new XR uses the same body, but the connecting rod end is larger and the handle's leverage angle is different. If you use the new handle with the old connecting rod/primer tray, the old connecting rod end will be loose in the new handle and you'll only be able to move less than 1" of handle travel, not enough to apply enough leverage/force to seat a primer.

To use the new handle, you must replace the connecting rod and the primer tray - effectively, a new XR. Only part that's interchangeable between the old Auto Prime and the new Auto Prime XR is the body.