The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 23, 2008, 03:55 PM   #1
jdc48160

Knife reccomendations

I'm looking for a new daily carry folder.

I currently carry a Benchmade Griptilian with the axis locking system.

I want another folder, obviously, but I DO NOT want a linerlock. I can't stand them.

I'd prefer a straight blade, no serrations, and I'd really prefer a tanto style blade, but can deal with a normal drop point blade.

I like to consider myself pretty knowledgable about knives, but I just can't seem to find anything that matches what I want other than what I currently carry.
Old March 23, 2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

SOG Flash series.
Old March 23, 2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Adrian

I've carried a Cold Steel Recon 1 for close to five years now as my general working knife. Cold Steel's marketing is really annoying, but they ship a pretty good knife in this case. I've had to sharpen it a couple times, and once in a while I put a drop of oil on the workings. Other than that it cheerfully handles all of the abuse I throw at it.
Matt.25:40
Old March 23, 2008, 08:09 PM   #4
RandyStacyE

I've always like my Smith & Wesson S.W.A.T. Special Tactical folding pocket knife. It's 4-3/4" closed and the blade is approx 3-3/4" long. I've had it for years though I do not use it every day. I picked it up at my local T.S.C. Farm Store. I've been a fan of the Smith & Wesson knives for a while, they seem to be well made.

Old March 23, 2008, 08:57 PM   #5
jdc48160

Are the S&W SWAT knives linerlocks? If it's a linerlock, I want nothing to do with it.
Old March 23, 2008, 08:59 PM   #6
sholling

The Gerber haters will flip but when I went looking for a new folder I checked out Kershaw and few other 'kewl' brands, and didn't like them. Then I stumbled across a Gerber Presto 3.5" Fine Edge. They are also available in a serrated edge version and in 2.5 and 3" versions. It's light, the feel is right on, the grip is very grippy and it has the fasted assisted opening system that I've seen short of a switch blade. It's so fast that it's just barely California legal, and a defective one might not be. Now here is a great part. Gerber discontinued the fine edge version of the 3.5" Presto and dealers are blowing them out for $25-$55 and Amazon charges $38 for the 3" with stellar reviews.
Combo edge version shown.
Old March 23, 2008, 09:11 PM   #7
UGAdawg

Kershaw

You might try looking at the Kershaws, straight blade and assisted opening. customer service is amazing. I sent mine in to get sharpened (it has a finish on it that makes it kind of tough to get a good edge) and they just gave me a new one for free, back in about a week. Really good prices too.
Old March 23, 2008, 09:12 PM   #8
jdc48160

I had a Gerber knife that I used to carry, I still have it, just don't carry it anymore. It was a great knife. I also had one of the Gerber multi-plier tools way back. That thing was great. I lost it somewhere years ago.
Old March 23, 2008, 09:16 PM   #9
jdc48160

UGAdawg, I may have to break down and get a Kershaw. I've had a thing about not buying one for the longest time because I had bad luck with them. Every one I would touch would cut me. Maybe it's just in my head.

I'll talk with the Snap-On guy this week, he sells them on his truck, and I'll see what he has.

And upon further review of that Gerber, no way. The pocket clip is mounted at the pivot end of the knife. That means when I pull it from my pocket, I have to rotate the knife 180 degrees in my hand before I can even open it. With my Benchmade I currently have, it's just draw and open, one hand, one motion.
Old March 23, 2008, 09:17 PM   #10
gmoney

I highly recommend something from the Kabar line of knives. very solid
Old March 23, 2008, 09:30 PM   #11
jdc48160

gmoney, I'll look into them too. Kershaw has some sick knives, but then I go to the features list and see linerlock, and I get pissed off. It's a bad-ass knife, then I see linerlock and am instantly turned off on the knife.

It's hard finding exactly what you want.

I think I had an easier time finding the guns I wanted than finding a damn knife.

BTW, does anyone know the laws about carrying a fixed blade knife in the state of Michigan? I could be swayed to a fixed blade if I can carry it legally without a concealed weapon permit.
Old March 23, 2008, 09:53 PM   #12
sholling

I usually toss pocket clips and buy a sheath, but to each their own. It beats the crap out of the stiff Kershaw Onions. Good luck in your search.
Old March 23, 2008, 10:48 PM   #13
bigshooter

gerber products are brittle and cheap, they used to be quality about 6 years ago, but they've gone way downhill.

i have broken 2 blades and one plier, just snapped right off. i'll never buy gerber again.
Old March 23, 2008, 11:19 PM   #14
UGAdawg

jcd48160

Haha, too true on the bad luck. I almost cut the tip of my index finger off the day I bought my Kershaw. Sharp little buggers.
Old March 24, 2008, 03:37 AM   #15
KD5NRH

Quote:
I currently carry a Benchmade Griptilian with the axis locking system.
What's wrong with it? My wife and I have carried Griptilians for a couple of years now, and barring some major confidence-destroying failure, when they wear out, they'll be replaced with current model Griptilians.
Old March 24, 2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Inspector3711

I'm a big Kershaw guy but last summer I bought a Boker 1001. I use knifes almost daily in my work and the Boker is starting to need a sharpening for the first time since August. I always sharpened my Kershaws monthly. I bought a set of Wusthoff kitchen knives a couple of years ago which was my first introduction to steel made in Solingen. So far I'm impressed with Wusthoff and Boker. Soligen steel is mighty fine in my book. Boker isn't cheap. I think these retailed for $145 but I found one on clearance in an outlet store (I think it was Sierra Trading Post) in Cody for $59.
Old March 25, 2008, 05:04 PM   #17
jhansman

Kershaw's Ken Onion series of knives are outstanding, especially the Scallion. Yeah, it's a liner lock, but mine has never once failed me, if that is your concern. As for opening, I'd put the speed of this series up against any AO folder on the market; an easy flick of your fingertip has it deployed very quickly. I holds an edge better than any knife I've owned, and I've owned a few. Check it out.
Old March 25, 2008, 08:26 PM   #18
Inspector3711

The scallion is nice. I like mine because I could open, cut, close, and put away with one hand. I'm frequently carrying with one hand and cutting with the other so that works out well. That said, it could hold an edge a little longer (but on the other hand it's easy to get a good edge). The lock on mine was broken by a friend. As I was saying "unlock it first" he ignored me and deployed the blade snapping the plastic (should be metal) safety lock. I carried it after that without the lock and did have 2-3 close calls because of it. After about a year and a half the blade would no longer open on it's own. I cleaned and oiled it with no success. I haven't taken it apart yet to find out why it's sticking. I bought the Boker and have been so happy with it that I have put off fixing the scallion.
Old March 25, 2008, 08:40 PM   #19
odsixer

+1 kershaw.
Old March 25, 2008, 09:39 PM   #20
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Lots of good knives are on the market~! I too, prefer Kershaw folders; but
Benchmade and Browning have their place as well~!
Old March 29, 2008, 06:22 PM   #21
Mainah

First of all where's Tourist? Until he responds I'll jump in with a Cold Steel recommendation, but only because you don't like liner locks. I respect your dislike for them, I used to feel the same way. But I'm okay with them now, and I currently carry a CRKT.
Old March 29, 2008, 06:29 PM   #22
tplumeri

I carry a smith and wesson auto. does have serrations but its a great carry, if you can find one. its nothing fancy but its durable and the auto machanism is tight.

2008_0329vaquero0021.JPG
Old March 31, 2008, 01:24 PM   #23
UniversalFrost

I have the CRKT K.I.S.S serrated model 5510 and love it. the lock has not failed me once.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old March 31, 2008, 02:09 PM   #24
Hard Ball

Take a look at an Emerson Commander.
Old March 31, 2008, 02:48 PM   #25
The Tourist

Normally, this would be about my last choice, but it fits all of your criteria.

A Cold Steel Recon 1 Plain Blade Tanto.

Personally, I like liner and frame locks. My strongest knife, short of a fixed blade, is a liner lock Strider AR. Their SnG is a frame lock, equally as strong.

However, I do understand personal prefences, and the Cold Steel meets your requirements.