The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2002, 11:34 PM   #1
Mike Davies

Has anyone loaded .45ACP with Hodgdon Longshot?

I've "inherited" a pound of Hodgdon Longshot, and was wondering if anyone has loaded .45ACP with this powder. Hodgdon doesn't list .45ACP in their new data for this powder, yet they list Longshot loads for .40S&W, 9mmP, .38 & .357, etc....Is there a reason why .45ACP was omitted, I wonder?
I use 200gr lead SWC's.
Old September 7, 2002, 02:58 AM   #2
jtduncan

Sorry but Longshot is too too slow a powder for a low pressure round like 45 ACP with lead bullets.

Sorry but Universal is slow as most of us go with a target round like 45 ACP.

Use it in 9mm, 40SW, 10mm, or one of the magnum rounds like 44 mag.

It's a good 357 sig and 40SW powder - that's what I've used LS for.
Old September 7, 2002, 11:59 PM   #3
Mike Davies

jt: Thanks, that's what I suspected.
I'll use it for my .40cal and 9mmP loads as you suggest.
I'll stick to my W231 for my .45ACP loads.
Much appreciated!
Mike
Old September 8, 2002, 01:41 AM   #4
Shoney

Hodgdon put out a loading pamphlet a few years ago that had 45ACP loads for Longshot. I've loaded Longshot in 45, 40, 9X19, and 9X18. The results in the 45 weren't that bad, but Universal was still much better.

However, Longshot really was impressive in the 40, producing extreemly good accuracy, clean burning, metered well, low flash, and very high (upper mid range 10MM) velocities. The 180gr's did very well at max, and this is now my personal defense load with Gold Dots @ 1100fps in an under 4" barrel.

The results in 9X19 and 9X18 were underwhelming, as I got much better velocity and accuracy with HS6. I did not shoot the heavier bullets in the 9MM's but the Longshot may perform well with heavier bullets in the 9X19.

Shoney
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old September 8, 2002, 10:48 AM   #5
EchoFiveMike

I tried Longshot in 45ACP but was unimpressed. It was just too slow a powder and problems resulted. OTOH, I now am moving to it almost exclusively for my 200gn 10mm Auto loads. 7.6gns gives me an easy 1100fps from the Delta Elite with XTP's and recoil is similar to GI ball 45ACP. Accuracy is good and reliability seems good so far.(24lb spring, but only 150rds fired, so I'm reserving judgement) S/F...Ken M
Old September 10, 2002, 01:47 PM   #6
john kilgore

My only experience with Longshot is with the .40 S&W. I didn't get anywhere near the velocities that Hodgdon claims in their website data. The accruacy and pressures were OK, but the velocity was no more than what I get with much lighter charges of slightly faster burning powders. I've just had too good of luck with Win Superfield in the .40 to use Longshot. With the .45, the Universal Clays and Win231 will do the same thing with far lower charge weights. I guess I'll have to try some in my 9mm's after the Nationals. Who knows, it may the best new thing !