The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 2002, 10:44 PM   #1
ACP230

Bronco .22/ .410

Does anyone remember the old Bronco or Bauer .22/.410 over and under? They were cheap to buy and had skeletonized metal stocks. The Bronco's had a crackle brown finish and the Bauer "Rabbit" version had a black finish.
Anyone got one they'd like to part with?
Old June 17, 2002, 10:54 AM   #2
Jhp147

blast from the past

Boy, I haven't thought about that gun in a while. A friend of mine's dad had one in 1976 or so. I remember the funny crackle coat paint finish, and the skeleton stock, especially. Remember how you "broke it open?" Seems like there was a trigger in front of the real trigger that slid back to allow it to open, and the bbls. pivoted sideways instead of breaking open. Haven't seen one in years. Seems like they were made/marketed by Garcia, the fishing reel folks, but I'm not sure. Funny little combo guns interested me so much that I bought a Savage .22/20 when I was a bit older.
Old June 17, 2002, 08:06 PM   #3
wp

ACP230
A friend of mine had something like you describe and was not very robust,in fact it needed some work and that is how he got it so cheap. I have a M-6 by springfield armory and they are built like a tank in comparison,so for the money i would at least check out the M-6 first. Good Luck
WP
Old June 17, 2002, 09:50 PM   #4
Jeff White

I've got one...

A Bauer Rabbit. Bought it in like new condition for $75.00 about 15 years ago. I modified a case that the Army uses for aiming poles with the 60mm mortar to carry it and it's spent many a trip to the wilderness strapped to the outside of my ruck. Also took an M16 nylon cleaning kit pouch and added some velcro straps, filled it with ammo and strapped it into the skeleton stock. All in all a nice compact survival weapon. Not neary as pricey as the Springfield M6 and it has the benefit of a standard trigger, not the lever arrangement the M6 uses.

I've not shot it a lot, but mine seems very sturdy.

Jeff
Old June 17, 2002, 10:25 PM   #5
Andrew Wyatt

I've got one i'm willing to part with, assuming you can get it to work. no matter what position the selector is in, the firing pin doesn't hit either cartrige with enough authority to set it off.
Old June 17, 2002, 11:11 PM   #6

I had one, but it was a single barrel .410. I topped it off with a piece of 1/4" nylon cord as a sling. I carried it in my truck for years. I shot it to some extent. It seemed to be solid. One of my first paramedic partners quit working the streets and moved into an office job. She took it away from me and hung it on the wall in her office. Today, I suppose, upper management would call in a SWAT team if she walked in the office with a shotgun. I don't remember if she cleaned the undercoating off it or not.
I saw one at a gun show a couple months ago. I believe the one I saw was made (or imported) by FIE. I think it was something like $75. I was going to buy it, but that would have meant standing in line for hours to fill out the paperwork. Not worth the wait for something like that.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old June 19, 2002, 08:54 AM   #7
Hemicuda

I have a Garcia-Bronco .410... fun little gun! not much to it... and for a .410, kicks pretty good!

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old February 17, 2008, 09:49 PM   #8
lsimpson

Bauer Rabbit

Andrew Wyatt,

If you are still willing to part with this, what is your price?
Old February 18, 2008, 10:54 AM   #9
classic095

gun

I remember the Hamilton and Sons .22/410, with what looked like a coat hanger stock. Used to get em with a 5.00 dollar Fill up of gas back in the late 30s early 40s The retail price on those at the time was 2.00 dollars..

Last edited by classic095; February 18, 2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: info
Old February 13, 2011, 02:48 PM   #10
ubu

+++++Still Interested 2011+++++

I am still interested in any one of these. Feb. 2011 I like ugly guns.
[email protected]