The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 26, 2018, 05:18 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

I once heard a poor shot referred to as an "Onion Juggler".

I assume the insinuation is that they can't see to shoot straight, since the only other use of the term that I know of is for a sloppy cook/chef that has been demoted to prep work.

"That's the dangerous end..." -Crocodile Dundee
Old June 26, 2018, 05:27 PM   #27
kkb

Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!
Mrs. Parker: No, you'll shoot your eye out.

A Christmas Story
Old June 26, 2018, 07:12 PM   #28
10-96

My current favorite was attributed to Col. Jeff Cooper- "If your shooting stance is good, you’re probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly."

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 26, 2018, 07:53 PM   #29
Mainah

From my father-in-law, he taught me how to shoot and buy guns; “I’m practical, not tactical.”
Old June 26, 2018, 09:24 PM   #30
Bimus

They will embarrass you

From the newer movie True Grit
Old June 27, 2018, 01:01 AM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

there are so many good lines, (mostly from movies) its tough to say, and many of my favorites have already been mentioned.

one I'll mention (because its unlikely anyone else will ) is from The WAR WAGON...

John Wayne and Kirk Douglas walk out of a saloon and face a pair of badguys in the street. Both draw and fire at the same time, dropping the villains...
Douglas says "Mine hit the ground first!"
Wayne replies "Mine was taller."

Old June 27, 2018, 06:16 AM   #32
piedmontqc

"When you have to shoot...Shoot, don't talk"---Tuco.
Old June 27, 2018, 07:22 AM   #33
reinert

Back in the days when I used to compete with muzzleloaders, and especially when competing with a flinter, it was common courtesy to give clear, audible voice to the shooter next to you, and for me that was mostly for the feller on my right on the firing line. As the rifle was shouldered, and the sights started their alignment on the bull, there was plenty of notice time offered when you said, "Fire in the Hole!" I always loved that cool warning phrase. And you only needed to say it once, as that was traditional, heeded protocol.
Old June 27, 2018, 03:08 PM   #34
griz

A couple that have something in common.

One from the movie Unforgiven but sort of attributed to Wild Bill Hickok, when they were loading up to go to a gunfight a deputy was asked why a man with one arm would need three guns. He responded:

"I don't want to get killed from lack of shooting back"

And I don't remember who came up with this bit of advice but I like it:

"you may be killed with your own gun but you better have been beaten to death with it because you should have already shot it dry".
Old June 28, 2018, 02:35 AM   #35
Scorch

I said I didn't have much use for them, I didn't say I didn't know how to use one.- Quigley

If 7 rounds of 45 doesn't solve the situation, you've made a serious tactical error- Jeff Cooper
Old June 30, 2018, 04:54 PM   #36
Auditor

Natural cause.

Reporter: Sheriff, do you know the coroner ruled he died from natural causes?
Sheriff: Yeah, well if you get shot 17 times you're natuarlly gonna die.
Sheriff Grady Judd.
Old June 30, 2018, 07:29 PM   #37
akguy47

" You haven't seen hell but it's coming! and I am bringing it with me! Wyatt Earp Tombstone.
Old June 30, 2018, 08:48 PM   #38
blackwidowp61

From Full Metal Jacket

JOKER hears a muffled sound. He isn't sure where it comes from. He slowly enters the latrine.
Running his flashlight across the room JOKER Sees PYLE sitting on a toilet, loading a magazine for his M-14 rifle.
PYLE looks up at JOKER and smiles. It is a frightening smile.
PYLE (strange voice) Hi, Joker.
JOKER stares at PYLE for a few seconds. PYLE has clearly snapped.
JOKER Are those ... live rounds?
PYLE Seven-six-two millimeter, full metal jacket.
PYLE smiles grotesquely.
JOKER Leonard .. . if Hartman comes in here and catches us, we'll both be in a world of -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-.
PYLE I am .. . in a world . . . of -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-!
PYLE gets to his feet, snaps his rifle to port arms, and starts executing the Manual of Arms.
PYLE (shouting) Left shoulder ... hut! Right shoulder ... hut! Lock and load! Order ... hut!
PYLE picks up the loaded magazine, inserts it into the rifle and smartly brings the rifle down to the order arms position.
PYLE (shouting) This is my rifle! There are many like it, but this one is mine.
By now the platoon is awake.
HARTMAN bursts from his room, wearing his skivvies and D.I. hat.
PYLE (offscreen) My rifle is my best friend! It is my life!
HARTMAN Get back in your bunks!
PYLE I must master it as I must master my life! Without me ...
HARTMAN Storms into the latrine.
HARTMAN What is this Mickey Mouse -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-? What in the name of Jesus H. Christ are you animals doing in my head?
(to JOKER) Why is Private Pyle out of his bunk after lights out?! Why is Private Pyle holding that weapon? Why aren't you stomping Private Pyle's guts out?
JOKER Sir, it is the private's duty to inform the Senior Drill Instructor that Private Pyie has a full magazine and has locked and loaded, sir!
HARTMAN and PYLE look at each other. PYLE Smiles from the depths of his own hell.
HARTMAN focuses all of his considerable powers of intimidation, into his best John-Wayne-on-Suribachi voice.
HARTMAN Now you listen to me, Private Pyle, and,you listen good. I want that weapon, and I want it now! You will place that rifle on the deck at your feet and step back away from it.
With a twisted smile on his face Pyle takes a ready position and points his rifle at HARTMAN.
HARTMAN What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!! Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?!!!
BANG! The round hits HARTMAN in the chest. He falls back dead.
JOKER and PYLE stand looking at the body. Then PYLE looks at JoKER and slowly raises his rifle.
JOKER (trembling) Easy, Leonard. Go easy, man.
PYLE breathes heavily, and keeps the rifle aimed at JOKER. JOKER is scared -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-less. PYLE looks at JOKER for several seconds and slowly lowers the rifle. Then he stumbles back a few steps and sits down, heavily on the toilet.
PYLE turns away from JOKER and stares into space, a strangely peaceful look transforming his face. He places the muzzle of the rifle in his mouth.
JOKER No!!!
BANG!
PYLE pulls the trigger and blows the back of his head over the white tiled wall behind him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old July 2, 2018, 01:53 PM   #39
blackwidowp61

Geez folks, I didn't mean to shut this thread down with that last post when there are so many more out there. Here's a few more:

"This is the AK47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy; and it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you, so remember it."
Clint Eastwood "Heartbreak Ridge"

"You make a noise Mr 44 makes a noise. You ask a question, Mr. 44 answers it.
If you try to run I got six little friends, and they can all run faster than you."
George Clooney: From Dusk Till Dawn

"I figger if the time comes I need one of those toy guns, there'll be plenty of 'em lyin on the ground...” First Sergeant in We Were Soldiers

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless, without my rifle I am useless. I must fire my rifle true, I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Full Metal Jacket

There are two types of people in the world – those with a gun, and those who dig. Now dig! Clint Eastwood The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all… your fault, my fault, nobody’s fault… it won’t matter – I’m gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed, I’m gonna blow your head off. Big Jake

"Get yourself a Glock and get rid of that nickel-plated sissy-pistol." Deputy Marshall Sam Gerard

It ain't always being fast, so much as being willing. Lot of guys are fast, but then they'll draw a breath or think, or hesitate to pull that trigger. I won't. John Wayne in The Shootist

No, I shot him. Bullets and the fall killed him. Vince in Collateral

When a man with .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot. Clint Eastwood A Fistfull Of Dollars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old July 2, 2018, 05:47 PM   #40
Erno86

Nobody: "Did you kill the white man who killed you?"

William Blake: "I'm not dead. Am I?"

Dead Man (1995)

--- George Orwell
Old July 2, 2018, 09:31 PM   #41
rickyrick

Don’t really have a favorite, but I detest “skin that smoke wagon” not sure why I hate it but I do.
Old July 2, 2018, 10:02 PM   #42
HWS

I just read it on this forum. Someone was saying a member should get an AR15:

"Come over to the dark side".

Black rifle--get it?
Old July 3, 2018, 02:53 PM   #43
mr bolo

"he who lives by the gun shall die by the gun"
Old July 4, 2018, 01:38 AM   #44
Husqvarna

Aim small miss small
Old July 4, 2018, 09:52 AM   #45
Prof Young

Got more?

"What else did you bring?"

Spoken to me by grandson after we'd shot the 22 cricket and 22 SA revolver for a while.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 4, 2018, 11:19 AM   #46
mr bolo

HENRY RIFLE during the Civil War:

After an encounter with the 7th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, which had the good fortune to be armed with Henrys, one Confederate officer is credited with the phrase, “It’s a rifle that you could load on Sunday and shoot all week long.”

“God created men; Col. Colt made them equal.” So goes the oft-repeated quote about Col. Samuel Colt and his legendary firearms.
Old July 4, 2018, 09:38 PM   #47
44 AMP
Staff

I've always heard that quote in reference to the Spencer, not the Henry...
Old July 5, 2018, 11:05 AM   #48
mr bolo

"an Armed Society is a Polite Society"
Old July 5, 2018, 05:02 PM   #49
44 AMP
Staff

"Always place your weapons and your clothes where you can find them in the dark."

Heinlein
Old July 6, 2018, 12:17 AM   #50
armoredman

"If you don't practice wiping that safety off when you're going on target, you're gonna pull the trigger and it won't fire. First you're gonna look stupid, then you're gonna look dead."

About using the 1911A1.