The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2018, 07:03 PM   #1
ADIDAS69

Bear creek arsenal

Can anybody with direct user experience please let me know what kind of quality to expect from bear creek arsenal barrels?
Old March 4, 2018, 02:11 AM   #2
JoeSixpack

I bought a Ursid upper from them, Not sure who makes the handguard, it works for my purpose and seems solid but im not a "operator".

Everything was right 'n tight.. so no complaints from me but I guess it depends on your expectation.. are they top notch last a life time to hell and back bomb proof and battle ready? probably not.. but value wise Im happy.
Old March 4, 2018, 10:07 AM   #3
BobCat45

I bought a 20" Wylde 1:8 nitrided barrel to re-barrel my shot-out A2 Service Rifle because I'm building a flat-top 'optics' service rifle and will not be shooting the A2 seriously in competition, and the Bear Creek barrel cost half what a "good" barrel cost.

At 100 yards, prone, on the reduced prone slow fire target, it shoots little knots. I am shocked at how well it performs and wonder why it was so inexpensive. It may shoot poorly at 600 but I will not be shooting it at 600 in competition, so who knows?

So I can't really answer your question, but the barrel I bought from them exceeded the 'quality' I thought I was paying for.
Old March 4, 2018, 10:11 AM   #4
ADIDAS69

What kind of MOA are you getting ? The weirdest knock against their barrels that I’ve read from other sources is difficulty with steel cased ammo, any thoughts their?
Old March 4, 2018, 10:48 AM   #5
BobCat45

It is shooting knots about 1" - 1-1/4" diameter, except for called flyers - all the 7s I shoot are me being clumsy on the trigger and I see them as they happen. Those are what kill my scores but they have zero to do with the barrel, the barrel seems to hold around one or one and a quarter minutes at 100 yards.

I do not claim to understand the physics of how a barrel can shoot very well at the short line and fall apart at longer ranges. That seems like it would have to do with velocity inconsistencies but it is beyond me. I know several High Master shooters who are on opposite sides of that discussion, some claiming if it shoots well close it will group well anywhere, others saying any barrel will shoot well close in, the test is how it shoots at longer ranges. Beats me.

No idea about steel-cased ammo, I've never tried it.
Old March 4, 2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Kvon2

I have their complete 7.62x39 rifle and it has been solid so far.

I saw some people had reported some rust issues but mine came good and clean. I've shot many sub-1 inch groups at 50 yards but I'm also using a cheap truglo red dot...and going for an eye appointment this week expecting to be told I need glasses for this first time...
Old March 4, 2018, 04:23 PM   #7
zipspyder

Quote:
I have their complete 7.62x39 rifle and it has been solid so far.

I saw some people had reported some rust issues but mine came good and clean. I've shot many sub-1 inch groups at 50 yards but I'm also using a cheap truglo red dot...and going for an eye appointment this week expecting to be told I need glasses for this first time...
Ditto for me but have a scope on my ruskie. Just went and rechecked the accuracy with my Ruskie AR15 (scoped) that I'll be hunting boar and ram with in a couple weeks. Banged around pretty good during deer season. One shot, 60 yards at the top 3" metal circle.

Old March 4, 2018, 08:12 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

My buddy and I built a 6.8 Remington SPC AR. He bought two Bear Creek barrels. One looked pretty good, the other looked petty rough with assorted machining marks.

He took the good barrel for his build and sold the other. We've had the completed AR to range a few times and no matter the scope or ammo, we can't get the gun to shoot accurate at all. It's acceptable out to 50 yards but losses accuracy beyond that.

This wasn't the first AR we put together and this is the only one we've had accuracy issues with for what it's worth.
Old July 20, 2018, 10:22 AM   #9
TrueBlue711

Anybody else have more experience with Bear Creek Arsenal? I'm looking at their complete 6.5 Grendel upper for making my AR a good hunting rifle.

Not looking for long range competition shooting. Just need it to function and be accurate enough to hit vitals of a deer up to 300 yds. I rarely shoot at game past that distance.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; July 20, 2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old July 20, 2018, 06:48 PM   #10
Nanuk

I put one on a 300 BLK build. It shoots MOA.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.