The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 9, 2001, 03:43 PM   #1
RickB

.22-.45 extractor

I noticed that the extractor of my Colt .22-.45 Conversion does not apply any apparent spring pressure on the case or rim. The tip of the hook does not contact the case, and the slot (behind the hook) does not contact the rim. There is tension on the extractor, but it is exerted against the slide. When I hand-cycle the gun, loaded rounds slip down the breechface as they are extracted. I have an occasional failure to eject. Should I thin the extractor so the hook contacts the case (easy), widen the cut in the breechface so the rim contacts the slot (hard), shop for ammo with a larger-than-average rim diameter? Or what? Is the extractor supposed to apply tension to the case, or is the springiness just to allow it to be cammed out by the cut in the face of the chamber?
Old November 10, 2001, 06:53 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Rick, I'm not all that familiar with the conversion unit but the extractor has to apply enough tension to not slip back over the case rim and to hold the empty tightly enough to be kicked out by the ejector. George
Old November 11, 2001, 12:28 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

As George says, the conversion unit extractor must hold the case, just like the .45 extractor. But the c/u extractor has to be bent more since it has to reach further in toward the center of the slide. They can lose tension, though it is not common as there is little actual flexing.

If you want to remove it, take out the firing pin retainer and firing pin, then use a plastic or brass punch to push the front of the extractor to the right and back. You can't pry it out from the rear like you can a .45.

Actually, the most common cause of extractor problems on those units is buildup of crud under the extractor and in the extractor hole. Remove the extractor and clean things out well and your problem may be solved.

Jim
Old November 13, 2001, 04:14 PM   #4
Bottom Gun

Don't forget about the floating chamber in the Colt conversions. I'd check it to make sure it isn't intended to be a bit sloppy because that chamber is going to travel about 1/8 inch or so when you fire the gun.