The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2015, 08:44 PM   #1
sixgunluv

9mm neck tension

I recently acquired some "Zero" 147gr. HP's for reloading. I noticed that they are not tapered but yet smaller at the base for easy bullet seating. Then i noticed that i could skip step 2 altogether on my 3 die single stage RCBS(belling). Has anyone else had experience with this same exact bullet? Does anyone think neck tension would not be as consistent if i skip Step 2?
They fit easily into the case mouth after sizing with no "belling" and finish step 3 with the typical slight bulge/coke bottle look and obviously have plenty of neck tension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.6 KB, 61 views)
Old May 6, 2015, 09:34 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Possible

Maybe beside the point, but what do you mean by "fit easily into the case mouth"? If just starting into the case mouth, OK. If any further than 1 mm or so, I would worry about tension.

Yeah, if there is a slight (narrowing) taper to the bullet, you may indeed not have to bell the case mouth or even expand the case neck in order to seat a bullet. You would probably find better stability in your rounds during handling and consistency in velocity and accuracy.

Drawback is that if the case neck is insufficiently belled or expanded, you may crush or wrinkle a few cases (due to tilted bullet placement or just the greater neck tension causing the case walls to collapse). Small price to pay for being able to safely skip a step and get more consistent ammo to boot. Just be sure to measure and fit your finished product (also known as Quality Control "QC" or Quality Assurance "QA").

Test your finished ammo (every round at first) to ensure they will chamber (at first in just the chamber of your disassembled gun) and that you don't get cycling problems through your magazines and action of a small quantity run and lastly, that the ammo produces the cycling, pressure and velocity you expect.

After that, statistical sampling of size and cycling that all reloaders do.

You are using the scientific method to operate in your private ballistics lab and your personal ammunition factory. You are on your own, so be safe, always, all ways.

You are doing well to think about the issues, design a methodology, check with other loaders, and then proceed with caution. Scientists do this all the time. They formulate a theory, check the literature to see if someone else has previously worked on the same or similar theory, design an experiment to test the theory and evaluate results.

Go forth and prosper.

Lost Sheep

By the way, if those bulets are smaller at the base than the diameter throughout most of the bullet's length (before the ogive), I would call those bullets tapered. But I am sometimes generous with terminology.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; May 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old May 6, 2015, 09:52 PM   #3
sixgunluv

Yes they fit easily into the case mouth, no they do not go more than a mm or2.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:09 PM   #4
skizzums

that's fine if they are just beveled at the bottom for seating. me personally, would still just give the absolute minimal "belling" to halp prevent splitting my mouths when seating fully. I love bullets that tapered at the base, have only seen it on 9mm when using 147's because they can sometime require excessive belling.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:04 PM   #5
sixgunluv

Quote:
Drawback is that if the case neck is insufficiently belled or expanded, you may crush or wrinkle a few cases (due to tilted bullet placement or just the greater neck tension causing the case walls to collapse).
That is what i was wondering...

Wouldn't the seating of the bullet have the same effect as the die expanding the case? any more risk of splitting the case upon expansion?

There is no worry seating the bullet straight, as i said the bullet 'easily' sits into the case mouth the same as one that has been generously 'belled' by the die.
If i can skip step 2, i think i'd shoot up what i got...eventually and focus on making this my go to bullet.

Quote:
Yeah, if there is a slight (narrowing) taper to the bullet, you may indeed not have to bell the case mouth or even expand the case neck in order to seat a bullet. You would probably find better stability in your rounds during handling and consistency in velocity and accuracy.
That's what i'm hoping for. Not having to do a step on a single stage press is a big deal.

The bullet does not appear to be beveled but instead smaller in diameter at the base. It seats better than a tapered/beveled/boat tail, no tilting, no slight lean, it seats like it was made specifically for the task.

9mm
Zero 147gr HP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2177.JPG (172.4 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by sixgunluv; May 6, 2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old May 7, 2015, 04:26 PM   #6
sixgunluv

No one has experience with this bullet?
Old May 7, 2015, 08:06 PM   #7
243winxb

RCBS 357 in photo

The bullet becomes the expander if you skip step # 2.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:29 PM   #8
sixgunluv

Quote:
The bullet becomes the expander if you skip step # 2.

Yup.. so unless there's a reason why that's not a good idea, i can skip Die #2. ........?

Old May 8, 2015, 12:14 PM   #9
243winxb

Using the Bullet as an Expander

Unless you have a very accurate 9mm, skipping the expander will not hurt if the jacket becomes scratched on seating. If the bullet has to expand the brass a lot, the seating stem may leave a mark on the bullets ogive. Plated and soft lead bullets may be sized smaller in diameter after seating. Let accuracy be your guide.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:43 PM   #10
sixgunluv

Test

Loaded 20 rounds. Please excuse the rough brass. You should have seen it before i cleaned it up.

There were no major scuff marks on the bullet, cases were not excessively bulged. Appears i have strong neck tension. I did not use any crimp on Die #3, i simply seated the bullets to 1.13 OAL.

Refer to Post #5 for a pic of the base of the bullet.

Pic of bullet before seating. Sized case without belling(Step 2). A regular base bullet of any type will not go into the case.

[IMG][/IMG]
Seated to 1.13 OAL
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by sixgunluv; May 15, 2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:36 AM   #11
cheygriz

Many bullet manufacturers taper the base specifically for allowing you to seat without belling.

This increases neck tension and helps prevent bullet setback.