The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 27, 2015, 04:10 PM   #1
Jay24bal

Barrel Swap

Hey Guys -

I have done a fair amount of online research, but have yet to talk to a smith in person about this to confirm my thoughts, and wanted to make sure I have this straight before I do.

It is my understanding that I can take a rifle chambered for .308 Win., and simply by replacing the barrel, I can turn it into a 6.5 Creedmoor without having to swap the bolt head and that even the .308 Win magazines will work, correct?

There are several Savage 308's for sale on used racks around me for cheap as the stocks are cracked or the barrels are pitted, but the actions appear to be rock solid. As a project, I am thinking about converting one of them to a 6.5 Creedmoor, and since it would be a Savage action, the process is much easier since you just replace the barrel, confirm headspace, and are good to go.

Thanks for the feedback.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 27, 2015, 08:19 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Check the diameter of the two cartridges. If they're the same, then the same bolt should work.

Anytime you change a barrel, you should check headspace. It's for those times you may have tightened the barrel more (or less) than the last time.
Old January 27, 2015, 08:54 PM   #3
Jay24bal

Thanks Gary.

According to my reloading manuals, the case diameter at the base is identical as I believe the 6.5 CM was created from 308 brass.

I've swapped barrels before, but always replaced it with another of the same exact caliber so I wanted to make sure before I went ahead and bought an action and/or the new barrel.

I'm looking forward to playing with the 6.5 CM.

Old January 28, 2015, 04:11 PM   #4
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
just the barrel

I have swapped barrels for this combo more than 30 times, with no bolt change out "ever".
Some ask me if I would like the .308 barrel for a little trade. so if it a good barrel I will give some money off the job, but not a whole lot.

Pick the contour and length of barrel then what you want the barrel made of, steel or stainless steel.
Then just find a smith that will do the work!

ed

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"
Old January 28, 2015, 07:04 PM   #5
olddav

Jay24bal
If your handy with tools and such you may be able to swap the barrel yourself. I've done a couple, one was a breeze the other a bit of a bear (barrel nut would not break free). Anyway go with what you fell the most comfortable with and good luck.
Old January 28, 2015, 11:23 PM   #6
Jay24bal

Thanks guys.

I plan to do it myself, and I have done it before but always putting on a new barrel of the same caliber as the old one. It's just so easy with the Savage barrel nut design.

A couple guys at my club have the headspace gauge and said they'd be happy to let me borrow it.