The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 8, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
mekelly

Age/Value of Gun

Hi, I recently inherited what I believe to be a Browning FN 1910 with two magazines. It has the .32ACP barrel. I am not a 'gun guy' so I apologize up front for any misuse of terms or lack of understanding!

I have seen some great posts on this forum where people help to determine the approximate age and value of this gun. I am hoping people are willing to do the same as we try to figure out whether it's worth the estate selling the gun or just holding on to it.

I have also heard the ammo is expensive for this gun as it's not widely used anymore. I understand they made a .380ACP barrel that's interchangeable with this gun. Would that ammo be less expensive? Where are some likely sites to look that might have this barrel for sale? Where's the best place to look for ammo for this gun?

I have attached some pictures that will hopefully help. Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9452_edited-1.jpg (61.1 KB, 120 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SN.pdf (287.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: pdf Markings.pdf (679.6 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by mekelly; September 8, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old September 8, 2013, 10:59 AM   #2
PetahW

Welcome to TFL, mekelly !

Both .32ACP (7.65mm) & .380 (9mmKurtz) ammo costs run about the same, both have factory ammo with premium boolits available - but the power nod, low that it may be, between the two goes to the .380ACP.

The best way to determine the value of any firearm would be to find out how much $$$ John Q.Public's actually been willing to pay recently (not whenever) for another example in like condition.

That can be done via surfing (only) sold/closed widely-attended gun auctions (usually online, like gunbroker.com or gunauction.com ).

While doing so, consider that any "unsold", "unbid", "opening bid", or "buy-it-now" (BIN) dollar amounts are NOT values - they are merely the seller's expectation (many times, unreasonable).

Old September 8, 2013, 11:18 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That gun, or at least the slide, has been buffed and reblued, hurting any collector value. I concur on checking sales, but FWIW, I would estimate the retail value at around $300. You might expect to get about $150 from a dealer on a sale, more on a consignment sale.

Jim
Old September 8, 2013, 12:54 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to TFL!

That FN was another one of the successful Browning designed guns made and sold by FN. It was a pretty popular gun in its day, and they made a lot of them. While not common any more, they are not really rare. Not a high interest in that design these days, as it is considered a large pistol for the small calibers it shoots.

.32acp aka 7.65mm Browning is still quite alive and well, and commonly available (or at least as commonly as anything seems to be these days). Go online to any ammo seller, and check prices vs. the .380acp (aka 9mm Kurz). About the same, more or less. Not as cheap as mass produced 9mm, but then, its a smaller market.

While there are collectors, and some of the FNs do have historical significance, that only applies when there is some kind of specific documentation or special markings. Other than that, the gun's historical significance is that an FN Browning (I think it was that model) was used in the assassination that lead to World War I.

Buying one (in good shape) yeah $300ish. Selling one? half that, maybe a bit more, depending if there is local interest in that kind of thing.
Old September 9, 2013, 07:29 AM   #5
mekelly

Thanks for all of the great replies! Any idea on it's age? The serial number is 579... so it's got a relatively new manufacture date I would assume.

I have seen some pretty specific manufacture dates on the forum for other guns of this type. My dad served a tour in Vietnam in 1966-67 and I am curious whether he might have had this pistol with him as a backup weapon.

Thanks again!
Old September 9, 2013, 12:23 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

A lot of guys in combat areas come to the conclusion that having a pistol (any pistol) in addition to what the military issued them is a good idea. And while military regs are really down on private arms in troops hands, in combat zones generally commanders recognize that some degree of flexibility about that is a good idea.

Those FNs have been sold all over the world, for a long, long time. Your Dad could have picked it up in Vietnam, in any number of ways. Might have carried it as a backup, or just had it around for "just in case".

Lots of times guys will do that, with whatever they can get their hands on. Often those guns get left behind, sold, or passed on to others. Sometimes they come home with the troops, too. It is certainly possible that's where, and why he got it.
Old September 9, 2013, 03:44 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

FN Model 1910's in 9mm Browning Short (.380 ACP) were used in the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, the incident that led to WWI. An American gun writer erred many years ago and said the murder weapon was an FN Browning Model 1900 in 7.65mm. That error has been repeated many times since, but it is not true.

Jim
Old September 9, 2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Two Old Dogs

The model 1910 was manufactured between 1912 and 1983 by Fabrique Nationale, Liege Belgium. It was imported into the U.S. until January 1, 1969 when it was prohibited further entry by the 1968 Gun Control Act, being classified as a "Saturday Night Special" because of its size.

Pistols imported between 1954 and 1968 will be marked "Browing Arms Company".
Old September 9, 2013, 08:50 PM   #9
mekelly

Interesting

So, either my father purchased it before 1954 (unlikely) or did pick it up in Vietnam or elsewhere. Great information, thanks!
Old September 11, 2013, 07:37 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

FN pistols were not imported into the U.S. prior to c. 1954 because FN had a deal with Colt that Colt would not market in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, while FN would not market to the Americas. Eastern Asia was open to both companies. After WWII, Colt chose not to renew the agreement.

Jim
Old September 14, 2013, 04:01 PM   #11
ricko

I just bought a (.380) 1910 yesterday on my way home from work, paid $300 for it so I guess that's one current data point. Took it to the range today and it's really nice to shoot: goes where you point it (which would mean it hits the target, if I pointed better), trigger feels very good, and there's certainly no question of a FTE - it throws the cases a long way.

I'm not sure about the "considered large" comment - I guess it's large compared to some of the .380 pocket pistols being sold now, but I wouldn't want one of those anyway. It's the same size in all directions as a Walther PPK, and smoother since it's hammerless and has flush recessed sights.

Mine has serial number 514xxx - I Googled a serial number list that indicates this was made in 1965 (though it looks much older, the finish is more brown than blue and has a distinctly prewar look to it). According to this list, your 579xxx serial number would date from 1966.

Here's the list - click on "Mod 1955 380" at the left. The FN 1910 was imported to the USA as the Browning 1955, from 1954 to 1968.

http://www.proofhouse.com/browning/index.html