The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 24, 2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Mike19

Which ruger p to buy?

Next week, when my Social Security payment comes in, I'm going to buy a Ruger P series pistol from a LGS. I just don't know which model to get - I like them all, but can afford to buy only one.

They have a new P95 for $400; a used P95 for $375; a used P94 for $375 and a used P89 (Hogue rubber grips) for $350. The one concern I have is that the P89 slide has no serrations for pull-back.

I would appreciate any advice.
Old August 24, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
spacecoast

There are new P95s on Gunbroker as low as $310, plus shipping. Save yourself a little money for ammo. I have no experience with the others, but the P95 is a tank of a pistol and a great value.
Old August 24, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Topher127

Ditto the p94. Built like a tank, runs whatever i put through it with no failures. Mine came with rubber grips, which i prefer. I'm not a fan of the sights, but that's just me.
Old August 24, 2013, 06:48 PM   #4
ryanmac

They are all tanks. I'm sure you'll do well with any. On the issue of the lack of serration on the 89, it's never been a problem on mine. The previous post on prices are dead on though. You can probably do better on those prices.

Good luck.
Old August 24, 2013, 06:59 PM   #5
BuckRub

They're all good. I'm a 40 fan and use to own a P94. Bought the Hougue wrap around for $19.00 and the gun would eat anything and everything. Very accurate also. Buying used is also fine.
Old August 24, 2013, 07:05 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
They have a new P95 for $400; a used P95 for $375; a used P94 for $375 and a used P89 (Hogue rubber grips) for $350. The one concern I have is that the P89 slide has no serrations for pull-back.

I would appreciate any advice.
Prices vary, but those seem high.

I wouldn't worry about new P95 vs. used P95. Ruger will support it, either way. The used one might be the older model. (Ruger changed the P95 in recent years. Changed to a rounded trigger guard, added a rail, changed the outside texture.).

Quote:
Next week, when my Social Security payment comes in, I'm going to buy a Ruger P series pistol
The P series is just about extinct. The P95 is the only model currently made. Any particular reason you're going with that?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 24, 2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

The P95 may need a new extractor as they have had issues with them not being hardened and become bent causing FTE'S. They may have corrected this but I have not heard publicly that they have.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...m-fixed-25389/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy8WBpB1cAc
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/133...functions.html

P89 (have one) have an alloy frame and weigh a little more. As far as working the slide on it, no problem for me. just grab it at the rear where the Ambidextrous safety/de-cocker is. They have a good ejector on them.

Also I am seeing the P95's going for about $340 new here.

http://www.oeoutfitters.com/scripts/...?idproduct=957
http://www.oeoutfitters.com/scripts/...idproduct=1330
Here's my 89 and 90

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; August 24, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old August 25, 2013, 01:28 AM   #8
Mike19

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I like the P series because of size, weight, DA/SA action, de-cocker, easy trigger and slide traction, looks and price value. The other pistols on my short list were Sig 2022, Baretta Storm full size, used Glock 17 (G2) and a used Glock 19 (G3). I realize the Glocks are probably the best of the lot, but I prefer the DA/SA type action and I just don't like the look of the Glock line.

BTW, I stopped in at the local Academy and they got in yesrerday the P95 for $360
Old August 25, 2013, 03:46 AM   #9
hexidismal

My personal favorite by far in the P series is the P345 , but I guess a .45 cal wasn't among your choices.

Congrats on the P95. Good luck, stay safe, enjoy it.
Old August 25, 2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Pukindog12

The P series from Ruger are good guns.

Might want to try out also the Bersa Thunder series or Stoeger Cougar series. These also are excellent firearms for what you want along with the others on your list.
Old August 25, 2013, 11:34 AM   #11
mrcharlie3531

Mike,

I think your making a great decision on purchasing a P series Ruger. I believe your local gun store is a bit high on their prices though. You should not pay more than 350.00 for the new P95. They are not rare and readily available. I see it coming already, people will say 350.00 is to high for the P95

My gun knowledge equates to a rookie-novice expertise. My good friend is a avid firearms collector. I have been with him on several buying sprees. I have been with him at pawn shops, gun stores, gun shows and private sales. I can not tell you one time where he paid asking price. To make my point there is always room to negotiate on the price.

I just recently got rid a brand new P95DC (decocker model) A solid stout pistol. It is built like a tank. I paid 200.00 Cash plus I preformed 150.00 of computer work. Mike I wish you good luck on your future purchase. Charlie

I think the p95dc I had was a newer model with rounded trigger guard. Here's a pic for you.

Last edited by mrcharlie3531; August 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old August 25, 2013, 03:39 PM   #12

P-Series Rugers are rugged and reliable. I also very much liked the P-345 which had a novel locking system that rarely get's mention. It was a soft shooting .45 ACP.

For just a few more dollars I would definitely recommend an SR polymer framed pistol in whatever caliber you like which sounds like 9 x 19mm. I have an SR9 and an SR45. Without a doubt, these are the finest pistols Ruger has ever made and they are world-class. After you fire 300 rounds or a little better, you'll get a trigger that's about as good as it gets for a combat pistol. The bore axis is very low and combined with Ruger's polymer, they absorbed recoil very well. I shoot mostly +P type handloads in the SR9 and my .45 ACP defense handload is similar to the Remington 185 gr. +P Golden Saber. Accuracy is very good with these pistols. As has been mentioned, the only P-Series pistol still in Ruger's catalogue is the P-95. That's how I came to get an SR9 in the first place. I sent them a P-89 that needed some work and Ruger phoned back and said that they no longer supprted P series pistols and offered me an SR9 at a very attractive price. I liked it so much that a month later I sold my XDm in .45 ACP and bought an SR45.
Old August 25, 2013, 04:28 PM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
I also very much liked the P-345 which had a novel locking system that rarely get's mention. It was a soft shooting .45 ACP.
It's got a cam block system that I think they used on the P95 and all P-series guns following.

Quote:
I sent them a P-89 that needed some work and Ruger phoned back and said that they no longer supprted P series pistols and offered me an SR9 at a very attractive price.
Is that exactly what they said? Because that is disturbing.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 25, 2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Wreck-n-Crew

Did want to add that the empty take-up space on the P89 and 90 are not the ideal trigger.

Don't bother me none got use to that quickly but the P95 and P345 doesn't have that empty space.

Both triggers (after break-in) are smooth.

Somewhere I read a modified 95 trigger in an 89/90 will clean up the empty space.

OH yeah, the P90 8 round mags are hard to find!
Old August 25, 2013, 05:04 PM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
OH yeah, the P90 8 round mags are hard to find!
The difference is a Chip McCormic follower. Shouldn't be too hard to find that and swap it in to a 7 rounder.

Quote:
Somewhere I read a modified 95 trigger in an 89/90 will clean up the empty space.
Writeup on Rugerforum.com somewhere. You buy the P95 trigger straight off Ruger's site, and dremmel out a notch so that the trailing link on the older P-series barrels has clearance.

Quote:
Both triggers (after break-in) are smooth.
The trigger on my P90 is (how to describe it?), kind of "mushy" and indefinite. I shoot other guns better. I don't sell it off because I don't think I'd find as good a gun for the money.
Old August 25, 2013, 05:21 PM   #16
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
The difference is a Chip McCormic follower. Shouldn't be too hard to find that and swap it in to a 7 rounder.
Sorry the 7 rounder too. Forgot that.

But for a back-up the 10 rounder's are out there.
Old August 25, 2013, 08:12 PM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
But for a back-up the 10 rounder's are out there.
Promags. MMmmmm....

I'll stick with factory magazines, if I can.

Quote:
Sorry the 7 rounder too. Forgot that.
I imagine it's not going to get much better, with all of the P-series .45s out of production. I've got 8. I don't think I paid more than $15 each for any of them. Just kept my eyes open on gun boards and ebay.
Old August 25, 2013, 10:24 PM   #18
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I imagine it's not going to get much better, with all of the P-series .45s out of production. I've got 8. I don't think I paid more than $15 each for any of them. Just kept my eyes open on gun boards and ebay.
Agree and will do.

Just got an offer to trade my P89 for a Taurus PT145 millennium Pro
http://www.armslist.com/posts/204083...-pt-145--45acp
Gotta check the reviews on this one!
Thanks
Old August 26, 2013, 12:32 AM   #19
Quentin2

Since you're leaning toward DA/SA, try to handle the S&W 5906, 5903 and 6906 which can be found in the $400 range for a good one. The 5906 is all stainless so a little heavy but the other two have alloy frames and stainless slides.

They're school like the P series Rugers but soooo nice. Definitely take a look at the Smiths before you buy.
Old August 26, 2013, 06:40 AM   #20
lee n. field

Quote:
Just got an offer to trade my P89 for a Taurus PT145 millennium Pro
http://www.armslist.com/posts/204083...-pt-145--45acp
Wow. He sure thinks highly of that gun.