The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 21, 2013, 02:42 PM   #26
Revolver1

Congratulations! Don't worry about what to carry, you'll carry what the dept. issues you. Don't gripe about it. Become proficient with it.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:18 AM   #27
RoundsAMinute

Didnt expect it

Thanks for the information and gratitude. I'm honored to pursue this career and am also honored for the praise of you all. I will see what I can do about a .22. Sounds like a great idea to just learn with.
Old February 22, 2013, 04:51 PM   #28
Departed402

Don't ask us, ask a leo in your area

Instead of asking us, I would talk to a Law Enforcement Officer in your own state, who has been through your state's law enforcement training and can tell you the best way to approuch this.

As an example in Nebraska most students going through law enforcement training are hired by an agency and then sent to the training center on the agency's dime (sponsored), and sometimes agencies will have their new employee sign a contract to make sure they get a good return on their investment. Non-Law (non-sponsored) students pay the government training center a considerable amount of money for training, and items like guns, duty gear, and vests are provided for the duration of the training (unless you have a gun you would prefer to use).

If your state is the opposite where you go through the training, then get hired by an agency then I would have to agree with most of the respondents and tell you to go with a Glock 17, 22, or 21. On second thought, since you said price is no object you might as well spring for a SIG Sauer P226 in either 9 or 40.

Last edited by Departed402; February 23, 2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: follow-up
Old February 22, 2013, 11:50 PM   #29
BuckRub

I carry the Glock 22. 40 my favorite caliber of all time. Next I'd carry a 9. We have to carry a 40 or above. And supply our own handgun.