The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 20, 2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Icopy1

Stupid NFA Build Question

I am filling out the Form 1 for the first time. My goal is to add a foreward grip and a folding stock to my new MKE 94PK, creating an SBR. For those who don't know, this is a licensed copy of the MP5K made in Turkey. On the Form 1, the ATF asks for the overall length of the weapon. Does they want the overall length before I add the stock or after?
Old July 20, 2010, 08:24 AM   #2
full.tang.halo

Pulling up the Form 1 from the ATF website it asks for the barrel length and the overall length. Per ATI's website the barrel is listed @ 4.53" Depending on the folding stock you're probably looking at about 8"-9" onto the overall length of the AT-94k.

As for what "SHOULD" be put on the form to insure smooth approval, IDK, but when you're done tell me, cause I'm looking SBR my 94k too.
Old July 20, 2010, 08:35 AM   #3
ISC

My understanding is that the OAL for a weapon with a folding stock is measured with the stock extended.

I remember a while back when I first got my Uzi carbine that the OAL with the stock folded was only 25". It was imported that way and was approved by BATF so I didn't figure it was illegal, but the ATF is notorious for changing their minds after the fact (ex post facto is the term I think) and then putting people in jail or confiscating their guns.

I eventually sold it because I hated the ergonomics of the gun.

I would think that by making it an SBR the OAL becomes irrelevent.
Old July 20, 2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Joat

OAL is the gun in its registered condition. So OAL is with the stock installed and in the fully open position.

Joat
Old July 20, 2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Icopy1

So, I'll need to call Choate to get the length of the stock. Or, I would have to buy the stock, install it (breaking the law) and uninstall it. I love the ATF.
Old July 20, 2010, 02:04 PM   #6
ISC

I bet Choate would be happy to tell you the diminsions. I'd just buy it and measure it after it came in.
Old July 21, 2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Icopy1

I called Choate. The stock in its extended position will add 10" to the weapon in its current state. Now, all I need to do is get my Chief LEO's signature and I am good to go.