The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 1, 2014, 02:27 PM   #1801
Calla23

new to TFL. Started purchasing pistols a few years ago

Been around long rifles and shotguns through family and military but past few years my interests swayed to handguns. In this short time I've owned 4 GLOCKs, 2 SIGS, 1 H&K, and 1 Kimber. Sold all of them througout the past few years and now currently stock a Walther P5 & P38, FEG HP clone, Steyr S9-A1, Rohrbaugh R9 and Polish p64. My twin brother can't stand when I seell or swap a pistol out, but I want to fing what fits ne best. I;n not going to hold on to a gun I don't enjoy shhooting or can't shoot well with.
Old December 2, 2014, 11:01 AM   #1802
GunsmithFox

Hello from State College, Pennsylvania! I am an avid hunter and shooter. I am currently in school for Gunsmithing and plan on going to many other Gunsmithing schools to learn as much as possible. I am an Open Carry advocate but with a different view on what SHOULD and SHOULD NOT be carried (handguns yes, crazy mod rifles no.) I have a 5 year old daughter who I am working on gun safety with (Yes my guns are kept in a safe) and a girlfriend who I love scaring the hell out of with my 30-06.

I love clay shooting, target shoots, pretty much anything challenging. Though sometimes I have to be stopped because I love to see how far I can push the limits and see how far or how fast I can shoot targets (Safely of course!)
Old December 3, 2014, 10:13 PM   #1803
SARuger

Jon from SW Va, I like this forum. Its a very good community with helpful positive knowledge.

I have been around guns all my life. I collected Marlin lever actions at one time but had to sell them. I love Ruger anything(I hunt with a 10" SBH) and I prefer Sig over Glock but nothing at all bad about a Glock. When it comes to shotguns, one word, Remington! An interesting fun fact, I only like 20ga shotguns, its all I own.

Im a mechanic, I own 3 Jeeps and 7.3 Super Duty Ford. I'm not married and I have 3 sons. I coach youth football and lacrosse. I off road my Jeep Cherokee and I like to fish. I own my own home and its well protected
Old December 7, 2014, 09:43 PM   #1804
Chris32600

Hello,

Chris here from Wisconsin. Hopefully within the next week or two, I will have my new carry gun. I'm still deciding on what to get, but I've narrowed it down to about three or four. In the meantime, I will look over this forum for any tips, ideas and suggestions.

Last edited by Chris32600; December 7, 2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old December 10, 2014, 03:40 PM   #1805
1911Sig

All things smokeless powder

I am a sixty year old who lives in Georgia and Florida. I have returned to shooting sports after an illness took me away from flying planes two years ago. If it has a barrel and fires a projectile I'm impressed with it. I've owned guns and shot them since I was about ten years old (first was a 22 Marlin Mod 60). My favorites are 45 acp and 9 mm pistols and of course the old trusty Ruger MK II 22. My first love is a tie between the 1911 and Tanfoglio Witness target 45 acp. While I have my own preferences about makes and models, I believe modern guns in general are made to high standards and will perform better than what most of us can get out of those guns. There are a small percentage that won't measure up though. With so many choices in the gun industry today what we own is more about the individual personality of the gun owner or trying to explore and find that perfect match of the individual owner. See you around the forum! Greg
Old December 10, 2014, 08:38 PM   #1806
Boogershooter

Hello just another louisiana country bumpkin here lookin to learn a Lil and laugh alot! My family and I are country as turnip greens and love to hunt, fish, shoot and love the outdoors! Hope to enjoy some good conversations here but I love reading the arguments on best rifle brand and or caliber!
Old December 11, 2014, 05:08 PM   #1807
SMCA

New in GA

I like to shoot anything that will fire. I have a few milsurps and mostly modern polymer handguns.
Old December 19, 2014, 11:19 PM   #1808
drhoward1988

New Member from Alabama

Names Daniel and I'm 26

New member here. I've been around firearms most of my life and was an avid hunter up until a few years ago. I've got a few guns;
-Winchester Model 670 30-06
No scope for now.
-Remington 870 20 gauge
Youth model. Was my first gun
-Remington model 7 SS .308
Was my first big purchase. Scope: Leupold V2 3-9x40
-Remington model 597 .22
Given to me in rough condition
-S&W SIGMA .40
Home defense, wife loves to shoot it.

currently I'm working on restoring my 670 as it holds sentimental value (my dad's first rifle passed down to me)

Last edited by drhoward1988; December 19, 2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old December 20, 2014, 10:47 PM   #1809
80 Percent Arms

Hello from 80% Arms

Hello!

We are a leading manufacturer of 80% products, primarily AR-15 and .308 80% billet lowers, and jigs; both drill press and router based. Our manufacturing facility is located in Santa Ana, CA, where we also have our factory showroom.

We’re here to answer any questions regarding 80% builds. We can be reached by phone, PM, email, or in person at our shop. We have staff with expertise where it counts, that we incorporate into our products. Our shop foreman is a Marine with decades of metallurgical experience. Dan keeps our CNC mills running literally 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. Our office manager is also a Marine, with extensive combat experience in Afghanistan and Iraq. If you call us, you’ll more than likely be assisted by Jeff to help answer your questions. The rest of our staff members are also gun enthusiasts. We love what we do, and we take an active roll in fighting the anti-gun California legislature.

In a nutshell that is who we are. We’re looking forward to being a contributor at The Firing Line.
Old December 22, 2014, 10:31 PM   #1810
newman84

Hi I'm from Illinois. I'm 30 and into collecting guns and hunting. I have recently inherited a couple of old guns I am interested in learning more about.
Old December 29, 2014, 07:03 PM   #1811
Duster340

New Member from Illinois

Hey Folks,

New 50 something year old member from IL here. Enjoy Hunting and Target shooting. Love casting and hand loading for my .40 S&W, 44 Special and 44 Mag.

Be well all!
Old January 2, 2015, 04:05 PM   #1812
gojuice101

Hi y'all.

I'm 29 and from Spotsylvania, Virginia. New here but not to firearms. Been active on other forums, and reading here occasionally, just never joined until now. Guns have been a lifelong interest for me, more so in recent years when I had money to obtain a decent collection and get into gunsmithing and building. I'm also a reloader of many calibers. Seems to be a wealth of knowledge here so hopefully I'll be able to contribute from time to time.
Old January 3, 2015, 03:32 PM   #1813
Juggernaut12121

Heyo! I'm from Michigan and I enjoy shooting targets, skeet, and sporting clays, and of course plinking around. I've got a modest number of nice firearms made by Benelli, Ruger, Savage, Remmington, and CZ; and I must say I have a thing for bullpups (although I don't own any), and more tactical style guns.
I've made all sorts of cannons -guns running from a gaseous propellant rather than a solid- and plan to make one or two more (the latest and greatest of which should knock the pants off of most common firearms). I am, however, interested in trying my hand at making firearms.
And I aspire to become a mechanical engineer.
Old January 5, 2015, 01:18 AM   #1814
Thingfish

FNG

Getting a late start here. Had an old bolt action 22 when I was a kid that I'd shoot out back of my grandparents house at cans and bottles. Last year my wife and kids got me a Ruger 22 semi-auto rifle for Father's Day. I've returned to the back yard and enjoyed some nice 50 yard plunking with the iron sites and my older eyes. I'm looking to get into a larger game rifle (along the lines of a 30-06 or 308 with very little understanding of what I'm looking for or getting into) in pursuit of actually learning to hunt. Deer is the native target off our property. I'm sure it's famous last words but I'm hoping to find the "one right gun for me' to get proficient with. Don't know the lingo so I've got a lot of reading to do here. Thanks in advance for all the wisdom to come.
Old January 7, 2015, 06:48 PM   #1815
kankakee

Another New Guy Introduction

Hello one and all. I'm new to the forum although I've dropped in from time to time for a quick read. Here's a quick run down.
  • Been hunting and fishing for close to 30 years
  • Enjoy hunting: deer, coyote, upland, turkey, waterfowl
  • Enjoy fishing: smallmouth bass, walleye...river rat style
  • Recently started hand loading
  • Worked my way through college working for Division of Fish and Wildlife in a midwestern state...eye opener

I hope to learn from and provide information to others. That's the point right?
Old January 17, 2015, 11:56 AM   #1816
Hetzer

New Guy

Hi,

I'm 77 and a fairly new resident of Ga. Previously lived in Va after leaving the Army after 20 then working in Va for another 20.
I own several German rifles ( a WW1 98, a WW2 98k, a semi-auto K43 and a 303 Jungle carbine that was sporterized. I have a post war Walther P38 bought in Germany in 1963 at a gun shop and it is stamped P38. A WW2 Luger, a 1930's Broomhandle a new Wather PPX and a Browning Buckmark.

I currently shoot at a Remington indoor range with a group of friends a couple times a month. In Va I fired at an Izaak Walton range (until it closed and moved) and the Fort Lee range when available.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:00 PM   #1817
wmr0225

Hi

Hey guys. After years of reading posts on forums, I finally decided to join one so that I can give back I any way I can and TFL seemed like a good choice.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:08 PM   #1818
rcollier

Bob here from Minnesota
Just got my first centerfire and looking forward to getting into hunting with it.
Looks like a lot of great info here.
Thanks for a great forum.
Old January 20, 2015, 07:39 PM   #1819
WCWV

Good evening fellows, I'm new here. I'm 49 from Southern WV and just recently joined. I've been married 30 yrs with two kids 26 and 20, no grandkids yet. I've been hunting and shooting since age 7.
I started reloadin
Old January 20, 2015, 07:44 PM   #1820
WCWV

Sorry about posting to soon, my eyes are getting bad or my thumb is getting bigger.
As I was saying, I started loading and casting 15 yrs ago. I do mainly rifle and hand gun shooting and I also do trad bow hunting.
Good to meet you guys and look forward to hearing the knowledge and different views on this forum
Old January 21, 2015, 10:11 AM   #1821
RECTIFIER

Hello,
I've been interested in guns since I was 18...served in the US Army,with honorable discharge.

I became involved with IHMSA competition in the 80's...& set the first perfect Production gun score in 1983 with my High Standard Supermatic Trophy 22 auto...

...got into another hobby about 19 years ago, & recently rediscoverd my interest in guns.A lot has changed over the years,but I'm catching up with it ans plan to get a new 22 auto soon.
Old January 23, 2015, 10:34 PM   #1822
WWIGG

Noob from Ohio

Hey ya'll,

Been a shooter for a long time. Dad and grandpas raised me up a hunter and a shooter. Spent 25 yrs in the military and shot on the OH Natl Guard Pistol Team for 5 yrs. Just getting into reloading and am looking forward to what I can learn here.

Thanks,
High Standard Victor .22
Old January 25, 2015, 05:54 PM   #1823
WILLYS OXERLAND

New guy from pa here

Hello everybody, born and raised in the coal region. Love military long arms, always did. Us military long arms is what i like the best, but that is the most expensive to purchase. I buy and sell stuff around my hobby. A friend told me about this forum. Read a bunch of good stuff already. My name is supposed to be "willys overland"
i love to go 4 wheeling with a stock vehicle, toyota j60 this month. Looking forward to meeting you guys. Thanks
Old January 26, 2015, 09:06 PM   #1824
ArsenalExchange

Arsenal Exchange

Greetings! I am the owner and developer of ArsenalExchange.com a new firearms classified ads website and industry directory.
Old January 29, 2015, 06:10 AM   #1825
WarrenReed

Hello all, my names easy to figure out...

I grew up around firearms, my father was one of those preparing for the soviet invasion, he passed away in 91 when I was 9. (luckily he got to see the wall fall)

I remember my mother selling thousands of rounds of ammo, and a majority of his firearms he had collected, as I grew older I began to get interested in more of the World War 2 era firearms and started my collection with an Ishapore Enfield in .308 from Big 5. At some point I traded my dads Mini 14 for a Springfield 1903 and it all went downhill from there, bought a Garand and an M1 Carbine, Yugo K98, Mosin Nagant PU Sniper, Swedish Mauser, I went a little nuts...

I joined the Marines and got my fix of shooting the M16/M4, didnt do a lot of recreational shooting, got into racing motorcycles, and that became my passion.

I have recently started to get back into shooting, about 4 years after getting out of the Marines. Looking into getting into some long range shooting, I have a Winchester Model 70 in .300 Win Mag, and a Stevens Model 200 in .223. I have become proficient with them, but still need to do a little work with the 300 win mag.

Anywho, thats my life story in a nutshell.

Looking into getting an AR10 platform in 260 Remington as my all around long range shooter/coyote hunting/deer hunting rifle. Figured I should go with a platform I am familiar with, the .260 because its supposed to have similar ballistics to the 300 win mag, but less recoil, and do you really NEED a .300 win mag? Pretty sure the 260 will put down just about anything on the North American continent.

Thanks for tolerating my ridiculously long intro, and if you read it all, wow, Kudo's!

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent