The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 1, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
scgunrunner

Real World Indoor Shooting Experience

Hello all, I wanted to post this thread to help shed light on the proverbial over penetration argument when it comes to HD/SD. I wanted to know of any real world, live-fire, indoor shooting experience and the results of the ammunition on the structure. I’m basically asking who’s fired a real gun inside a home/apartment/office building and seen the effect of the round they were using FIRST HAND. So when I say “real world” experience I mean anything from negligent discharges to life or death situations. I’m not so much interested in the situation or the outcome, but the weapon/ammunition combination and the physical damage and penetration caused by the bullet.

I’ll start. I’ve fired a Kimber 1911 in .45ACP, shooting 230grain Federal Hydra-Shok JHP, inside a duplex with the following results: One stray round passed through 1 sheetrock wall, a bathroom mirror, a 2nd sheetrock wall, struck a clay pot and tumbled erratically to a stop in the top of a 3rd sheetrock wall. The lead core and jacket were both later found separated with non-uniform expansion.