The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 11, 2008, 08:14 AM   #1
djonathang

Access to Varmint Hunting

Hello,

I am interested in taking my new (T-9 Days : California) Savage Model 12 out for some varmint hunting (ground squirrels, rockchucks).

Is this something that most ranchers would appreciate if I approach them, and ask permission?

DG
Old May 11, 2008, 10:51 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I wouldn't go on a place without permission But it can be tough to garner a permission slip.... (I like it in writing in exchange for insurance release from me) as many are lawsuit skeered. Being respectful and responsible when you meet an owner is the 2 best things.
Brent
Old May 11, 2008, 11:29 PM   #3
ELMOUSMC

First don,t show up all camoed up wear your everyday clothes,tell the farmer or rancher how you can help him ,her with what ever problem he might be having on his property ground squirrels,coyotes what ever.If possible have a card made up with your name address phone # also a cheap liablity policy # that helps eliminate fear of law suits.Be respectful show him your rifle and offer to let him try his hand with it,ask about his operation if the sound of gun fire will cause any problems with his livestock or pets and lastly be respectful.this plan has worked for me for 10 years and I have access to at least 40 farms of all types good luck and good hunting.By the way great choice in rifles ELMOUSMC
Old May 12, 2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Lawyer Daggit

ELsmous MC- good advice. Also avoid critical times of year when you ask him- I cows are about to Calf or whatever, delay asking.

When you have permission be thoughtful. I usually bring out the days papers when I arrive and if I can pick up something like some tea cakes or something like that thay if you are miles out of town and on a weekend unlikely to get.

Don't take things for granted. Carry some wire and a leatherman tool. One time I was walking along a fence line that would be hard to inspect on a 4x4 or bike and made some repairs that I felt needed doing. I mentioned the farmer when next I saw him and I know it was appreciated because he mentioned it months later to me.
Old May 12, 2008, 03:16 AM   #5
HOGGHEAD

Timing

Timing is everything. In my area(WV and S. PA) most of the farmer's are putting up their hay with round bails. The best time to ask is when they just finished bailing the field. They have jarred the **** out of themselves and their equipment in the varmint holes. That is when a farmer really wants them shot. He will even tell you where they are. And while you are asking you should offer to help him in the hayfield for the rest of the day. Help him drive a tractor home or something like that. This is a very good way to develop repore with the farmer. Also make sure you tell him that you are only wanting to varmint hunt, and not deer hunt. If he likes you he will ask you to come back.

Then just wait for the first rain and show up five days later. Tom.
Old May 13, 2008, 08:40 AM   #6
djonathang

Elmousmc,

When you say policy #, do you mean gather official insurance for such an activity? Please clarify.

Great suggestions everyone. Thanks!

DG
Old May 13, 2008, 10:47 AM   #7
ELMOUSMC

Talk to your insurance man he can set you up with a personal liabilty policy very cheaply mine cost $35 a year for $45,000 worth of coverage(covers accidental damage to property,live stock,fences,crops ect. ELMOUSMC Also if you cream yourself the rancher isn't liable

Last edited by ELMOUSMC; May 13, 2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old May 13, 2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Scorch

You can also try any one of several military reservations that allow hunting on weekends. Depending on your location, you can try Fort Hunter Liggett (N side of the river), Camp Roberts (W side), or head out to the Central Valley and talk to cattle ranchers or orchard owners in the less frequented areas. When I was in CA in October, the squirrels were thick, and that's when ranchers get a little more understanding. Try stopping at local coffee shops or feed stores and talking to ranchers when they are relaxed and in a social mood. They may not give you permission the first time, but if you write down names and dates when you talked to the ranchers and try again in a few weeks you may succeed. Once you have permission to shoot a few squirrels or coyotes, treasure the privilege and treat the rancher like a good friend, take him a few beers, and stop by sometime just to help him out.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:30 AM   #9
djonathang

Scorch,

That is excellent advice. Hunter Liggett is about 4 hours from my home. I do want to check out that area. In particular, the ocean side of that mountain range. I think there are some good possibilities there.

DG
Marlin 39A - Something to shoot while the .270 cools off.