The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old March 19, 2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Wrascal

Feedback on Members sales to each other

I was unsuccessful in looking for an area to read about fellow members when they buy and sell to each other. Feedback, both good and bad, for both buyers and sellers. I found this area to brag/denounce online stores.

I was interested in checking out a fellow member who I've noticed has many "For Sale" posts, and not much else. Has he been reliable in the past, or should I be wary of him.

And the other side is possible, lets say I back out of a deal. Posting this info would allow other sellers to be aware of me. As well as prompt payment getting an "attaboy".

Am I overlooking this somewhere? It may have cost this individual a sale today, because I was leery of him. If so, I'm sorry.

Wrascal
Old March 19, 2007, 10:41 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

This section is used not only for feedback on businesses, but also on member transactions.

If you search this forum for the member you are concerned about, you may or may not find him referenced here.
Old March 20, 2007, 07:23 AM   #3
Wrascal

Thanks for the reply

I guess that means that in the 60 plus "For Sale" postings/over a two year period - there has not been a single feedback entry for this persons business transactions. It appears to me that selling guns might even be his business, as those are the only postings he has on here.

Is that good or bad, I don't know. I did feel that he was evasive in answering direct written (email) questions, preferring to use the phone. Yes, thats easier, but can lead to misunderstandings/denials of what was said/implied.

Now, my next question is: should I disclose the name? I don't think that would be right either. He has been a member much longer than I have. But it may just be that others (previously) felt the same way - and this could be a possible alert for the next guy thinking of buying from him.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but it was my $ on the line, and I felt uncomfortable.
Old March 20, 2007, 08:41 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Now, my next question is: should I disclose the name?
This is just my opinion, I'm not speaking as a moderator.

IMO, it wouldn't be out of the question to ask about a member in this forum before doing a deal.

However, at this point the thread has gotten pretty negative. I don't think it would be reasonable to post a person's name in a negative context purely on the basis of feeling uncomfortable.

You have a couple of options:

Ask him for some references (TFL members who've dealt with him.) PM the references to get their take.

Check out some of his for sale ads, see if you can figure out the buyer and PM them for information.
Old March 21, 2007, 06:48 AM   #5
Wrascal

I believe that is kind of like I expected.

I did read all 60+ messages, and they were all sales related, and any responses were Private messages, so no idea what happened after contact. But not one positive or negative feedback - does that mean NO sale then?

I haven't dismissed him, or his listing, I liked his gun/price. I'd just like to be assured (in writing) that it has no known problems, not just some vague oral statements.

I'm still undecided.
Old March 21, 2007, 11:26 AM   #6
theinvisibleheart

Refchk

On Sturmgewehr.com and subguns.com, and other forums, REFCHK posting is used for this purpose.

You usually post "REFCHK: full name, state" and people will post/email positive/bad experiences they have had with that person.

Here is a sample post from subguns.com:

http://www.subguns.com/boards/inquir...cgi?read=39913

--John