The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2005, 10:36 PM   #1
gxi.llc

870 magazine extension

My 870 (about 12 years old) has two "nubs" at the end of the magazine tube. The retainer goes over these, turns 1/4 turn, then is held in place on these. If I buy a magazine extension, these would have to be removed to allow the follower and extra shells to pass through and into the extension. What is the process to remove these? Is it worth it? Once done, it would be pretty permanent, right?
Old July 26, 2005, 11:46 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

These are the famous Remington 870 Express "dimples".

Remington introduced these on the Express line strictly to allow making the 870 Express cheaper so it could compete with the cheaper to make Mossberg and Winchester guns.

There are a number of methods of dealing with the dimples:

The easiest is to use a 3/16" or 1/4" drill to drill the dimples out.

A gunsmith with the tooling can use a shotgun dent expander to "iron" the dimples out.

One poster on another forum used a socket wrench socket of the right size to "iron" the dimples out.

Another is to use a Dremel tool to grind them off.

Whatever method is used, you have to make SURE the entire area is sanded, ground, filed, or polished TOTALLY smooth.
There can be NO traces of the dimples left, or the follower or shells may hang up in the tube.

For all intents and purposes, the conversion is permanent.
Without the dimples and the plastic magazine plug, there's nothing to keep the magazine cap from unscrewing.

You CAN convert back by buying an old style magazine spring retainer.
This is a spring steel cup-washer which retains the magazine spring, but unless you screw the cap down TIGHT with a pair of pliers, it can vibrate loose under recoil.
Old August 6, 2005, 10:24 PM   #3
gxi.llc

Thanks so much for the info. I knew someone here would have run into that before. After careful consideration of the above, I have found a viable solution to my problem:

Right. That takes care of that. Thanks for the help!