The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 7, 2004, 07:55 AM   #1
David1958

Barrel Modification/Change

I have a S&W M65-7 w/ 4in barrel. I wanted to change out barrel to 3". The available barrels are $ 120.00 now through S&W. That plus labor ($60.00) and shipping to and from S&W ($ 30.00 or so) makes this a $ 210.00 job on a $270.00 revolver. Tried to have it done locally, but no one can do. However, the best local smith will cut down the barrel and relocate the sight, etc. for $50.00. He knows what he's talking about, so he's no "tree-shade" hack. The wording on the barrrel will be cut away/off and will reduce the value, I'm sure.
BUT...this is not a classic and will be a concealed carry, SD revolver that I have not intention of selling as a 3 in. The other option is to sell the 4" and but a 3" either new or used. Used c/b found in same condition as my 4" for about $275.00 plus shipping. I can probably sell mine for about the same, so it would wash. The smith/gunshop owner offered $ 210.00 in trade for it on a new M65 LS 3" costing $ 450.00 plus tax. The LS part doesn't bother me at all as I am too old and tired for that particular insecurity. The gun is at the shop waiting for a decision, so the convenient options are :1. Cut barrel for $ 50.00 and be done with it. 2. Trade in on new M65 LS there and walk out with new revolver w/3" barrel. 3. Get gun back, advertise, sell and then find another revolver.4. Trade in on a Ruger GP100 w/3" barrel (new) at another dealer. Opinions? Thanks.
Old November 7, 2004, 12:49 PM   #2
HSMITH

I would just put mine up and buy the 3" gun to keep it company. If the funds are too low for that and I just had to have a 3" gun I would cut the barrel.
Old November 7, 2004, 01:37 PM   #3
David1958

Barrel Modification M65

HSMITH,
Thanks for comments. Already have a number of 4" barreled .38/.357's or I would keep the 65 and add the 3". I am leaning to the barrelcut, crown and sight resetting option.
Old November 11, 2004, 10:33 PM   #4
Wallew

David,
You MIGHT find the balance of the pistol thrown off by cutting end of barrel. Not syaying it's a bad idea, just it COULD throw balance off. How it feels in your hand can cause many shooters to sell a pistol. Just something to consider.