The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 28, 2013, 10:29 AM   #1
mykeal

Closing thread was not appropriate

4v50Gary closed a thread (How do I sell my muzzle loader) on the Black Powder forum because the OP didn't have enough posts to advertise.

I take exception to that action. The OP was not advertising his gun on the forum. He asked a question about how to sell a black powder rifle, which, in my opinion, was a perfectly legitimate question. Closing the thread prevented me from providing him with two solutions to his problem - a store in his area that trades in used bp guns, and an auction house that does quarterly gun auctions which include bp guns.

I will answer his question using a PM. However, I really think you need to reconsider whether or not the thread should have been closed.
Old April 28, 2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Evan Thomas

The OP answered a question about the gun with the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadesauce
It's .50 calibre, I can find out in the morning, maybe even post a picture if your interested
So, yes, he's trying to sell it. He doesn't have enough posts to do so in the BST forum, and selling in the regular forums is against TFL's rules. Closing the thread was appropriate.

That said, by all means PM him with your information.
Old April 28, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Pahoo

I too noticed that.

Quote:
Closing the thread was appropriate.
Perhaps but maybe just a bit quick, on the draw. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 28, 2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Quick on the draw?

He was trying to sell it. He had posted:
Quote:
It's .50 calibre, I can find out in the morning, maybe even post a picture if your interested
There was no need to wait any longer to close it.
Old April 28, 2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

At first the post in question didn't quite fit the bill...

...until his next post. The tone of language in the post as a whole leads me to believe it was a thinly veiled posting for sale. It's a tough call. Staff made the right decision.

I understand your concern on being able to provide solutions to the OP. I can also understand it appears the action taken by Staff is counterproductive to the spirit of why TFL is here. But make no mistake. Things aren't always a black and white scenario and we don't just go willy nilly on making judgment calls.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 28, 2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Wadesauce

hello. i didn't mean to break any rules. i really was just inquiring about how to sell it. i didn't realize that following up with the other poster would cause my thread to close. i am not offended. thanks mykel for helping me out in that pm. i was not intending to find a person to buy it on this site, i just felt it fortunate that someone was interested. i will make sure to avoid it in the future. its tough being the new guy
Old April 29, 2013, 06:24 AM   #7
mykeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya
The OP answered a question about the gun with the following:
Quote:
So, yes, he's trying to sell it. He doesn't have enough posts to do so in the BST forum, and selling in the regular forums is against TFL's rules. Closing the thread was appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Tuttle
At first the post in question didn't quite fit the bill...

...until his next post. The tone of language in the post as a whole leads me to believe it was a thinly veiled posting for sale. It's a tough call. Staff made the right decision.
I still disagree.

Offering to post a picture did advance the thread towards an advertisement, and it was thus time to step in.

It would have been more appropriate to remind him, either via a PM or directly in the thread, that he did not yet qualify to advertise his gun on the forum, while leaving the thread open so that members could advise him on venues catering to the sale of muzzleloaders.

Closing the thread immediately was not yet called for. In my opinion.

I don't wish to be argumentative, and so I'll withdraw at this point. You've made your reasoning known and while I still disagree, I appreciate your quick and thoughtful responses. Very rarely does the TFL staff do anything I feel is uncalled for, so this surprised me and I wanted to understand it better. That's been accomplished. Thank you.
Old April 29, 2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Mal H
Staff

mykeal - I do understand your point and in one respect I agree with you, but in the broader reality of moderating here, I also agree with the closing of the thread in question. Members attempting to sell outside of the Gun Show forums, while not a huge problem, is a big enough concern to us to squelch them when we see them. Trust me, you don't see 1 tenth of what goes on in that respect.

I honestly do not think Wadesauce started his thread with the intention of taking offers on his gun, but it did turn into a for-sale as soon as he said "if your [sic] interested." To prevent any further steps down that particular path, the proper thing to do was to close the thread. Merely saying "please don't do that" either publicly or privately and leaving the thread open rarely works for long. It's the age-old cat out of the bag, horse & barn thing.

Wadesauce - your post above is one of a stand-up member, and we thank you for your understanding. Since you are new to TFL, the "culture" of this forum is also new to you. You'll find that TFL is not just your average gun enthusiast site. I know mykeal has sent you some of the information you were seeking, but you are welcome to re-post your request for information now that you know where not to go with it.