The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 21, 2012, 11:27 AM   #1
1hogfan83

Tactical Flashlight

Best light for the money. I would like to keep it under $50 and rather compact, I have a surefire V2 or V3 but it died on me. I though, oh me, it needs new batteries. Put some new ones in, nope. So I'm in the market for a new one. Again I would like a compact light, preferably with varible options, and a holster. Thanks for any help.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old December 21, 2012, 11:45 AM   #2
9mm1033

It's over your price range, but a friend just showed me his new Olight brand tac flashlight. It comes with two batteries, that can be charged, a holder and can be attached to a gun. Google Olight, it looks nice. The brightness is unbelievable.
Old December 21, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Good websites....

For white lights or compact flashlights, I'd check here:
www.policehq.com www.galls.com www.qmuniforms.com www.uscav.com www.natchezss.com www.actiongear.com .

Most LE & tactics instructors suggest buying a white light with at least 65lum.
I'd get a newer style with a strobe feature. Surefire, 5.11 ATAC, Streamlight, and Blackhawk are very popular. 5.11 makes a new ATAK line that's rechargeable & uses the powerful Li batteries. It has strobe, red & blue lights to for low light viewing.
I'd also suggest a tailcap button or switch. This design is better for use with firearms.
Clyde
Old December 21, 2012, 12:55 PM   #4
scottycoyote

ive got a novotac i really like, multiple settings to use more or less power plus a strobe, its a little smaller than most of your standard lights
Old December 21, 2012, 01:17 PM   #5
dayman

Personally I like the 4seven line.
And I think they have some models around that price point. I carry the Quark123 tactical, and with only the one battery it's small enough to carry in a pocket easily. I have a few streamlights also, but I find the 2 battery lights always wind up shifting to an uncomfortable position in my pocket.
4seven also makes a couple lights that run on AA batteries which is convenient and makes it east to run rechargeable batteries.
Old December 21, 2012, 02:02 PM   #6
nate45

FourSevens and Fenix make very good lights that are less expensive than other brands. I have three AA lights that I use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable in them, they work great. I prefer the length of a AA body too, because I use the Harries Technique.

Old December 21, 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Bellasogno

I just received the new Streamlight ProTac HL 600 Lumen Tactical Flashlight yesterday, and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement. 5.25" and 600 lumens!! I would challenge anyone to find a better light in this price range. OP, I'd suggest you stretch your budget a few bucks and buy this. You won't be disappointed. The strobe function could produce seizures to the wrong person. $69.99

Old December 21, 2012, 04:54 PM   #8
DJK Frank 16

If I were buying one right now it would be the Fenix PD32 Ultimate. 740 lumens at 5.43 inches.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=133

Little above the price range but tough to be that many lumens in a small light. I have the regular PD32 right now and have not one complaint.
Old December 21, 2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Bellasogno

Fenix: 740 lumens in burst mode. 400 lumens in steady, hghest intensity mode, as I understand. And it's $75. I'll stick with the Streamlight for the extra 200 lumens in steady-on mode, for less $.
Old December 21, 2012, 05:23 PM   #10
BarryLee

I’ve considered pick one of these up from Brownells their stuff is usually pretty decent and the price seems right.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...px?ICID=300046
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 21, 2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Nathan

4Sevens Quark Tactical is what I would buy today.

I EDC a Nitecore EX10. Good light but the UI is a bit complex at times for tactical use.
Old December 21, 2012, 06:29 PM   #12
WillyKern69

I have a Redline that was $35 dollars and I believe it is 200 lumens.
Old December 21, 2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Cricoid

I just got an EagleTac D25LC2. Right at $50 and can crank out over 700 lumens with the right batteries. Crazy output for the size and the price.
Old December 21, 2012, 09:55 PM   #14
Bellasogno

"I just got an EagleTac D25LC2. Right at $50 and can crank out over 700 lumens with the right batteries. Crazy output for the size and the price. "

And what batteries would those be?

This light is rated at 493 lumens. If the light has a way to squeeze 700L, why isn't the manufacturer doing so?
Old December 22, 2012, 09:55 AM   #15
Cricoid

"And what batteries would those be?

This light is rated at 493 lumens. If the light has a way to squeeze 700L, why isn't the manufacturer doing so?"

I'm too lazy to find the website where the testing was done, but the light is not rated at 493 lumens. Candlepowerforums maybe? There's a guy that does some ridiculously in-depth tests of a ton of flashlights. I wasn't trying to offend your Streamlight (which obviously sucks)

Old December 22, 2012, 10:23 AM   #16
Bellasogno

"...but the light is not rated at 493 lumens. Candlepowerforums maybe?"

No, the light is rated at 493 lumens.

From their own website:

Specifications:
CREE XP-G S2 LED (Cool White)
Max Output: 493 LED lumen, 343 ANSI OTF lumen

http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products....aspx?pid=7009

By the way, no offense taken. And save the grade school remarks for your grade school forums.
Old December 22, 2012, 10:35 AM   #17
Cricoid

No, the light is rated at 493 lumens.

From their own website:

Specifications:
CREE XP-G S2 LED (Cool White)
Max Output: 493 LED lumen, 343 ANSI OTF lumen

Is the picture of the box not displaying? Your specs are for a different LED. Mine has the Cree XM-L U2. 741, 549 OTF. Maybe I'm the only one that can see the picture.

Last edited by Cricoid; December 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old December 22, 2012, 11:06 AM   #18
nate45

Those higher lumen lights look neat, brighter is good. I would definitely use the 18650 rechargeable batteries though. I use my lights almost everyday and buying cases of CR123 batteries all the time gets expensive. Lithium CR123 batteries in a weapon mounted light that isn't used much is okay though.
Old December 22, 2012, 11:33 AM   #19
ClydeFrog

Size, price, features....

When selecting a white light or tactical flashlight, you must consider a few other features too;
Will you use it often or for extended periods? Then a rechargeable format may do best. Do you plan to deploy it with a sidearm or handle weapons with it? Then designs with tailcap lights or models that work with different methods like the Rodgers or FBI or Massad Ayoob may be needed. Do you want strobes, beacons or red/blue lights for traffic enforcement or tactical use?
Some models have anti-roll designs if you drop it & a few have edges to use as a defense weapon in a CQB event.

New LED & CREE styles are now brighter & brighter. Pick wisely and learn the best methods to deploy a white light when needed.

Clyde
Old December 23, 2012, 08:59 PM   #20
FireForged

for indoors, I have never...ever wanted a flashlight more than 100LUM. I really prefer something around 86LUM for indoor use. I cant imagine waking up to a noise in my dark house and turning on a 300-400-495LUM flashlight!?? I would reserver that kind of light for outdoor only.

If it were me, I would get a <100 LUM fenix and call it a day.

My fav Fenix is the TA20 that has (3) settings but its double your limit.
Old December 24, 2012, 01:51 AM   #21
j3ffr0

I like the Fenix 105 for my money.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:51 AM   #22
Pyzon

Quote:
for indoors, I have never...ever wanted a flashlight more than 100LUM. I really prefer something around 86LUM for indoor use. I cant imagine waking up to a noise in my dark house and turning on a 300-400-495LUM flashlight!?? I would reserver that kind of light for outdoor only.
Yep, have to agree here that in most indoor scenarios, too bright is too bright.

Outdoors, a real different story, the brighter the better.

My new favorite in a cheap and substantial (read, long enough to be used like a club) light using common C cells is the Defiant 500 (or 550 ?) lumen 3 C from Home Depot at under $20 ! Light output is so subjective and ratings are full of BS, but this sucker is damned bright.

Love the rechargeables, unless I pick up a dead light, in which case throw away cells are more readily available.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:46 PM   #23
3 gun

Big fan of the Fenix LD10. Good output and run times on a single AA battery. Useful clip and spare O rings/switch cap included. I paid right about $50 and I'm thinking about getting a couple more. It is that good as an EDC light.
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:21 PM   #24
Nnobby45

I have a variety of Sure Fire flashlights. This one has replaced them all. Low lumen has 45 hrs. of battery life. I carry mine everywhere, and it has become an all around flashlight for me.

Takes same flashlight holder as 6P. I carry mine in a BladeTech combo (teklok) lens up.

http://www.rei.com/product/850021/su...pro-flashlight
Old December 26, 2012, 11:33 PM   #25
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Big fan of the Fenix LD10
I second that..Though I think mine was the LD20. It was stolen from me when I was looking for a kid and I set down the flashlight for a few minutes. I looked up as I turned back around and a bunch of children were running away like they were about to be chased by me or something. Yay. lol

Awesome light.