The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 2, 2012, 10:01 PM   #51
johnbt

"the Glock weighs under 20oz empty"

Okay. Are you on a diet? A heavier gun is steadier for some people.

Ideally, I'd buy another FNP-45 and carry both of them with the 15-round mags. Carrying one makes me walk crooked.

John
Old December 2, 2012, 10:31 PM   #52
Buzzcook

It's about the money. Compare the price of a new S&W revolver to a plastic 9mm.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:55 PM   #53
MR.G

I own both and like the old revolvers best.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:22 AM   #54
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Okay. Are you on a diet? A heavier gun is steadier for some people.
Given the amount of coffee I consume, I need a steady gun.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:34 AM   #55
armsmaster270

I own these

And carry both these all the time.

Old December 3, 2012, 01:08 AM   #56
jimbob86

Quote:
While I wouldn't recommend a 1911 for a novice shooter,
Is the learning curve steeper for the modern folks than it was for Pre-WWI cavalrymen?

Maybe ...... stupid tended to hurt back then.....

It has been my experience that new shooters are more accurate whan shooting single actions, and least accurate when shooting heavy DA snub revolvers, which is THE hardest trigger to master.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:52 AM   #57
mrt949

Revolvers you can shoot the light loads to the barn burners .Without changing anything .Round nose ,wadcutters ,semi wad cutters.jacketed hollow point, .And you can get fancy with them with sights & moon clips.DO THAT WITH YOUR TUPPERWARE . Don't get me wrong I have autos but use revolvers more often.

Last edited by mrt949; December 3, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:41 AM   #58
B.L.E.

Why the false choice between revolvers and "Tupperware®"? Don't they still make steel semiautos?
Old December 3, 2012, 08:12 AM   #59
hulley

I have one plastic gun left and thats a Five-seveN, and honestly I'm probably gonna sell that too. All I own now are Sigs and revolvers. I carry a SP101 daily but I just picked up a P238 Blackwood over the weekend and that will get some carry time too. However my P229 gets a little me time as well.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:19 AM   #60
micromontenegro

I used to be a semiauto guy...

...until, two years ago, I underwent open heart surgery. In the aftermath (and I am speaking about two weeks later) I was so weak I could not shoot any of my autos with any kind of reliability. I was just too weak and I would limp wrist every other shot. Thankfully, I had a revolver I had kept from my youth so I could do some recreational shooting to help me out with the post surgery blues. Now I have a brace of them, and my primary carry gun is a Dan Wesson. I figured that if I ever have to defend myself I could get badly hurt- and I still want to be able to shoot back.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:30 AM   #61
Sheriff Gotcha

I just started my firearm "collection" July of this year. Though it is only one gun at the moment and yes it is a semi (stainless not "Tupperware"), I can still appreciate a good revolver and actually look to make a revolver (686) one of the next 2 additions to my collection.

Just saying I am new to shooting but I still appreciate revolvers and their place in firearms. I don't know if its the fact I love learning the history of firearms and did about 7 months of research before purchasing my first. Or that I shot a revolver my first time at the range with a friend and his dad. I do know that I want to add multiple revolvers to my stable though.

Besides they are just damn gorgeous, are they not?
Old December 3, 2012, 09:04 AM   #62
aarondhgraham

Quote:
...why not a revolver?
In many states the type of handgun used for the qualifying test,,,
Determines what you may carry with your license.

For example in Oklahoma if you take your test with a revolver,,,
All your license will authorize you to carry is a revolver or a derringer.

If you take your license with a semi-auto,,,
You then may carry a semi, a revolver, or a derringer.

At the time I took the class/exam I didn't own a semi-auto pistol,,,
So I rented a semi-auto .22 from the course instructor,,,
Even though I intended to carry a revolver.

It's possible the people are simply not wanting to limit their future carry choices.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 3, 2012, 09:23 AM   #63
2damnold4this

That's a good point, Aarond.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:26 AM   #64
reticle

Revlovers will never die. As long as there are old guys like me who can't crawl around the floor picking up their brass, there will be revolvers.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:48 AM   #65
Gaerek

Let's take your K-Frame vs my G19. Arguably approximately same power in the round (at least, the same real world effectiveness). I get 16 (15+1) shots, while you'll get 6. If I need more than 16, my reload is very quick, whereas yours will be slower, and you still don't have the same number of rounds I had initially. Only after your 2nd reload will you have surpassed my initial load out.

Having said that, my G19 is my primary. I carry it, and 2 17 round mags, to give me 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P. I also carry a Ruger LCR .38 SPL as a backup. It's loaded with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 137gr +P. I don't carry spare ammo for it, as I'm already very loaded down with 2 guns, 2 spare mags, my knife, my flashlight, my phone and wallet. My LCR is a backup, meaning if I need to get it out, something really bad has happened and I probably just need a few good shots. If I had room for a couple speed strips I'd probably carry those, but I feel I'm pretty well protected with what I have.

Revolvers are great, but for an EDC, I'd prefer to have revolver simplicity of use, with "Tupperware" capacity. Hence, the Glock.

I will say this though, in my CCW class, there were a couple revolvers. There was a 75 year old lady who brought in a Taurus Judge. She outshot everyone. I was impressed. Tiny Old Lady, enormous gun with big rounds.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:20 PM   #66
Water-Man

Some of you guys are watching way too many shoot-em-up shows.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:21 PM   #67
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm contemplating my first Tupperware purchase, an HK P2000.

No matter what, though, no Tupperware will ever replace my blued steel S&W revolvers.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:23 PM   #68
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Some of you guys are watching way too many shoot-em-up shows."

Over the years I've met and talked with many people, civilians and police, who have been in gunfights.

Not a single one of them had to reload...

Old December 3, 2012, 01:14 PM   #69
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Arguably approximately same power in the round (at least, the same real world effectiveness).
I'm a fan of the 9mm, but it's not up to .357 standards. Velocity and muzzle energy are only part of the equation. Bullet weight, composition, and shape also make a significant difference.

Then there's the gun itself. The S&W 66 simply has better sights and ergonomics for me than many semiautos.
Old December 3, 2012, 01:18 PM   #70
Webleymkv

Quote:
I'm a fan of the 9mm, but it's not up to .357 standards. Velocity and muzzle energy are only part of the equation. Bullet weight, composition, and shape also make a significant difference.
This is absolutely correct. Quite simply, the types of bullets which can be used without issues in a revolver would choke many, if not most, semi-automatics. While one can find loadings in 9mm +P/+P+ and .357 Sig that come close to, or even meet, the .357 Magnum's paper ballistics, they do not use the semi-jacketed hollowpoint bullets that gave the .357 Magnum its fearsome reputation for effectiveness.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:04 PM   #71
Tactical Jackalope

Why can't we just love them all? I have poly, steel, aluminium, revolvers..Whatever. Each serve a different purpose.

Only an individual can choose what it is for them.

I'm carrying my 1911 now

Quote:
Over the years I've met and talked with many people, civilians and police, who have been in gunfights.

Not a single one of them had to reload...

LE too? Seriously? Usually that's about right for a civilian..1-3 rounds and the fights usually done. LE is a little different. What department?
Old December 3, 2012, 02:26 PM   #72
SPEMack618

I carry a Glock on a day to day basis because it fits my needs in a concealed carry piece.

I carried a Beretta in the Guard because I had too.

If I could chose a gun to carry if I were going to war again it would be Pop's Model 66.

The one time I used my pistol in combat, I fired it less than six times, it probably would have been less than that if I were to use something other than 9x19 NATO.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:35 PM   #73
TeamTurpin

I guess it could be an old guy thing. I went into a gun store / firing range the other day with my sons and met some of their friends there. All of the young men were late teens, early 20's.

There is a long gun display case. 90% of the case is devoted to automatics of various persuasion. 10% contains revolvers and other oddities. As we stook there browsing and killing time, I noticed that all the young men had their noses against the glass over the automatics and were engaged in an animated conversation about capacity, double-stacked mags, etc.. Way down on the other end, an old-timer and myself were looking at revolvers. There wasn't much conversation, but if I could have comfortably bent over, I'd have pressed my nose against the glass too.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:57 PM   #74
anothernewb

It was probably already covered by someone - but IMO I think revolvers will never die off, and remain great for carry for the same reason I keep a revolver as the bedstand gun.

I don't know of any semiauto where - in the (albeit highly unlikely) event that you get a dud/misfire - you can simply pull the trigger for another try. I guess to me that's worth alot.

Not that it isn't hard to rack the slide for another try, but in a high stress, low time limit scenario - I'm likely to be running largely on automatic -and I want to keep what precious little of my brain I actually use - dedicated to the task at hand.
And - I would consider the conditions where I have to draw to be a rather high stress event....
Old December 3, 2012, 05:26 PM   #75
Mike Irwin
Staff

"LE is a little different. What department?"

Lewistown and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Washington, DC, US Capitol Police, US Park Police, FBI, Fairfax County Police, Virginia, and there may be a couple of others.

I'm not saying that no one would ever need a reload (Los Angeles bank robbery shootout) but I am saying that it's a rare to exceptional circumstance where a reload might be needed.

The whole deal about the transition from revolvers to wonder9s that started in the 1970s and gathered steam in the 1980s hinged on a couple of VERY heavily publicized cases that both the media and the gun rags latched onto like lion on a zebra.

Those few instances were fanned into an absolute feeding frenzy in which it was portrayed that hundreds, if not thousands, of cops every year were being slaughtered like cows in Chicago, hacked to bits by criminals toting guns that fired a never ending stream of cop killer bullets...

That's when all of the magazine capacity bans started being tossed about, and all of the police forces in the United States sucked in a collective wind and rushed out to toss out their revolvers and rearm with the latest and greatest multi-shot geewhizwonderbang.

Oh, and I'm not 100% certain, but I think your figure of 1 to 3 shots per encounter? I think that applies to police shootings, too.

And, the very truth of it is, the vast majority of police officers never draw their guns in anger during their entire career.

A good friend of mine has been a federal officer for 27 years and has never drawn his gun on duty other than at the range.