The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1
shrewd

old ithaca 37 featherlight recoil pad/spacer?

I purchased an old ithaca 37 featherlight 12 guage a few months ago at a gun show. its an early 50's manufacture.

anyway, i love the gun, but the other day i was patterning it at the range and i think the stuck is a little short. the recoil of each shot is sending my thumb right into my schnozz.

so i'm guessing i need a slightly longer stock. can anyone reccomend a nice thick recoil pad or spacer or some such to help me out?

i'm really hoping to make this my skeet/trap gun once i start hitting those clays!
Old February 5, 2012, 03:13 PM   #2
zippy13

I can't tell without seeing how you mount the gun. You may be mounting your gun with too much "cross body" which acts to shorten the stock. Have someone, who knows whats-up, have a look and make recommendations. The I-37 Featherlight is a fine gun for chasing birds, but you might be happier with a heavier gun for serious target work. The heavier guns swing smoother and eat recoil. Also, a pump soon becomes a nuisance when going after Skeet's doubles.
Old February 5, 2012, 03:51 PM   #3
shrewd

i cant really afford a nice over under. in fact i cant afford another serious gun purchase for some time.

i mostly shoot rifle and pistol, but i've been itching to get into shooting clays. i figure i'll just put up with the pump for now
Old February 5, 2012, 04:25 PM   #4
zippy13

There's an old school method of adding some weight to a pump/auto gun: Fill some empty hulls with shot and put them ahead of the spring in the mag tube and/or put some lead in the stock's bolt hole.
Old February 5, 2012, 07:00 PM   #5
oneounceload

Agree with Zippy, the really Light Ithaca will beat you up very harshly with any type of normal, let alone serious, amount of clay shooting
Old February 5, 2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Navy joe

I too own a Featherweight, you become aware of the name about 30 rounds into your slug test. I do not know about a pad, have you looked around Brownell's? I have a couple of guns that will eat me if I cross my thumb over the stock, mainly because I run the action with the trigger hand holding the gun into my shoulder. So, I try to mount my guns with my thumb forward along the side of the stock rather than crossed over. Could you try that?
Old February 6, 2012, 11:29 AM   #7
oletymer

Look at the Kickeez magnum pad. It is 1 3/8 thick. That is what I used to lengthen my length of pull.
Old February 6, 2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

A friend of mine is pretty lightly built. His Grandfather left him a Model 37, and it was just beating the hell out of him, so I put one of the Kickeez pads on it for him.

It will still beat him up, but not nearly as quickly.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 6, 2012, 02:39 PM   #9
BigJimP

Most spacers and recoil pads ....need to be sanded to fit properly ( they're typically oversized ) ....but most any gunsmith can do it ....or it can be done yourself if you have some mechanical ability.

There are slip on pads ...that you can try as well ...

But +1 on talking to someone at your local club to help you ...watch you mount the gun ...see if they can estimate what you need - but yes, if your thumb is hitting your nose, then its probably too short.