The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 16, 2011, 01:19 AM   #1
rburch

1st C&R Purchase

So I got my C&R a while ago, but had to wait for finances to allow me to start my collection.

I settled on a VZ-24 from Aim Surplus as my first. Just ordered it tonight, so just gotta wait for it to show up.

Pics when I have her, but too excited about it not to post about it now.

So, what do I need to do once it gets here? Obviously record the info in my bound book, and give it a good once over to look for problems.

Talked to the guys at AIM on the phone last week about it, and they said the headspace was checked on them to make sure they were ok. Is it okay to trust that, or should I look for a gauge and check it myself?

Also anything i need to be aware of with this rifle? Have some knowledge of mausers since I have a sporterized 1893 Spanish, and from the pics I assume the basic operations are the same?

Ok, bit tired, and starting to ramble so I'll leave it at that for now.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:05 AM   #2
jtb1967

Your VZ24 will work pretty much the same as any other mauser, so you should be set. I would make sure the bore and chamber are completely clean of any grease and dirt before firing it.
Old February 16, 2011, 01:28 PM   #3
noelf2

I've never seen a headspace issue on imports. I've been told that they have to be safe before imported, and a headspace check takes place, but I don't know for sure. I used to worry about it too, but time and experience tells me that it's 99% wasted worry. That said, I fully support someone else checking headspace. Kind of expensive to get headspace gauges for all the different C&R rifles you might run into though. If you have a rifle you are particularly worried about for some reason, you can use the string and tire method for headspace checking: Strap the rifle to a tire, point it downrange, tie a string to the trigger and give yourself some distance. After yanking the string and subsequent kaboom, check the case to see if there are some bulges/splits/separations that may indicate a headspace issue. If none you are g2g.
Old February 16, 2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Ignition Override

Is your Spanish Mauser still in 7mm?

There have been serious concerns (as you might know) about rifles from that era, which were converted in the 50s to .308. I've read it numerous places and listened to Mauser people at gun shows describe it.

A guy in PA died at a rifle range when such a Mauser burst the chamber or barrel.
Old February 16, 2011, 10:07 PM   #5
rburch

yeah still 7X57.

It's beyond being restored, so thinking about getting it drilled and tapped, and making a semi custom hunting gun out of her, but still don't see the need to change from 7x57, happen to really like the round

hoping I'll like the 8mm just as much
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old February 18, 2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Nico Testosteros

Rburch, I'd love to hear about your VZ24 purchase. I've been coveting one of those rifles for a while now.

Nico
Old February 19, 2011, 09:49 PM   #7
rburch

Nico, I'll be sure to put up the details when I get her in. Should arrive sometime tuesday.
Old February 22, 2011, 04:16 PM   #8
rburch

Got her in today, pretty heavy coat of grease which I expected, but means I have a good cleaning to do tonight.

Hope to shoot some pics and give my initial impressions of her tonight after work.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:54 PM   #9
rburch

Here's the pics of her after I got the cosmo off the metal. Just did a quick wipe-down of the wood, so it needs some more cleaning, but that's for another day.

The marking are in pretty good shape, actually better than I expected. Not sure, but I think the 1939 on the receiver is the year it was made?

Old February 22, 2011, 10:56 PM   #10
rburch

Old February 22, 2011, 10:59 PM   #11
rburch

Here's a couple of the bayonet while I'm snapping pics.

Not sure when I'll be able to get it out to the range, but I'm really happy with how she looks.
Old February 23, 2011, 02:31 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

Very nice. Congratulations!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 23, 2011, 11:36 AM   #13
doofus47

Quote:
but I think the 1939 on the receiver is the year it was made?
yep.
Nice rifle. Happy collecting.
Old February 25, 2011, 12:32 AM   #14
omahahaha

yours is much nicer than mine + bayonet. congrats.