The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 3, 2009, 07:48 PM   #1
misterE

Sweet Sixteen

Hey guys, love the forum. Got a question about a sweet sixteen. Ive been wanting one for years and finally have the funds to get one. Found one in the local classifieds and im planning to go look at it tomorrow. Anyways, my question is - this guy says the gun has "sweet Sixteen" engraved on the buttstock on the side. He says he had a gunsmith look at it and said that some of them did come from the factory like this. Is this true? Ive been around the old brownings for a long time and never seen or heard of this. Figured of all places someone on here would know. Thanks
Old September 3, 2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Jack O'Conner

I've never heard about that engraving. I suggest contact Browning Factory for accurate historical details.

Jack
Old September 3, 2009, 09:16 PM   #3
FJ4JAKE

Pm'd you...
On the wood stock?
The one I have has "Sweet Sixteen" engraved in script above the BROWNING on the side of the receiver opposite the bolt.
Old September 3, 2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Recoiljunkie44

sweet sixteen help

The sweet sixteen was introduced to the public in 1937! Its a lightweight version of the A5 Browning, so not all 16 gauge A5 are sweet sixteens! The early ones were made in Belguim from 1937 to 1976! Then the production was again restarted in 1987 - 1992! These second generation sweet 16's are made in Browning japanesse factory! I think i would rather have a first generation but a Browning is a Browning!

Walt: " well you know,I prayed for them to come
but no one answered"
Old September 4, 2009, 01:35 AM   #5
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ4JAKE
...has "Sweet Sixteen" engraved in script above the BROWNING on the side of the receiver opposite the bolt.
+1
That's the only way I've seen 'em.
Old September 4, 2009, 02:21 AM   #6
GringoGrande

I have two "Sweet 16's" and neither have it carved into the wood stocks. It is however engraved into the side of the receiver. It sounds like someone had some time on their hands to carve this into the wood.

These are GREAT shotguns. My father, brother and I all have a kind of a love affair with the Browning A5/Remington Model 11/ Savage 720. The Sweet 16 versions are a lightened down verson of the A5 16 gage and in my opinion, the best of all the Browning A5 designs.

I can honestly say out of all the shotguns I own, the Browning Sweet 16 is honestly my favorite for hunting, skeet/trap and sporting clays.

One note of caution: All parts except the Butt Stock, Forearm, friction rings, Bolt and Barrel will interchange between the Browning A5 16 Ga and the Sweet 16. The Bolt and barrel were both lightened up from the standard A5 16. The stocks were made of a less dense wood as well as dimensioned just a tad thinner and smaller. The friction rings and fricting ring spring also have a different temper to them to adjust for the lighter gun weight. The receiver was lightened up via metallurgy and not via dimensions from the standard A5 16.

Even if you can find a beater Sweet 16, they are worth getting and restoring to what ever degree you wish.

The one thing you will usually find broken is the forearm near the receiver side. Past owners fail to seat the barrel well enough when placing mag tub nut back on. This allows a little bit of slop for the forearm to be slapped against the receiver. The cracks are usually this and travel about 1/2 way up the rear of the forearm and can be fixed really well with bedding compound.

All in all, if you can find a shootable Sweet 16, get it, even if the exterior is FUBAR.

Good Luck

PS- There is nothing like going for morning grouse or dove than with a nice Sweet 16 in your hands.
Old September 4, 2009, 03:10 AM   #7
impalacustom

As others said, the engraving on the wood isn't factory. They were roll marked on the receiver with the words "Sweet Sixteen".

I own a Magnum 12, Sweet Sixteen and Magnum Twenty, out of those three, I shoot the 20 exclusively now, as it will do everything and more than the 16 with the same weight.
Old September 4, 2009, 10:52 AM   #8
billyj571

love mine
Old September 6, 2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Nastrowie!

Just sold one yesterday, engraved made in belgium and...
Quote:
On the wood stock?
The one I have has "Sweet Sixteen" engraved in script above the BROWNING on the side of the receiver opposite the bolt.
Sounds just like that one. Wish it was going in my safe...Isn't the sweet sixteen a version of the A5?
Old September 6, 2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Golfin Gator

I've got one; Jake, Zippy and others are correct. Not on the buttstock