The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2015, 12:36 AM   #1
steveNChunter

Longest bearing surface bullet in 264/6.5

I'm about to start load development for a Swedish Mauser that has a super long chamber throat.

These rifles were originally chambered to shoot a long 156 gr bullet.

So naturally the box of 140 gr Core Lokt rounds I got with the rifle were a country mile from the lands. I know that's not always a terrible thing but the rifle is nothing special in the accuracy department with this load and I'm fairly certain I can wring some more accuracy out of it with a longer bullet seated closer to the lands. I should note that this rifle's chamber and bore look pristine.

I pulled one of the core lokts and dumped the powder, then barely started the bullet into the case mouth and chambered to see what my OAL would have to be to touch the lands. It doesn't put much of the bullet in the case, only about 0.110".

So I want to find a 6.5 bullet with a longer bearing surface than these core lokts. I don't have a fancy measuring device but they have about 0.630" of bearing surface.

Simply finding the longest 6.5 will not solve my problem because the Core Lokt is a flat base bullet and all the long, high BC 6.5 bullets are boat tail, therefore having less bearing surface assuming all other aspects were equal.

Lapua makes a 155 gr round nose that I may end up using but I'd prefer a spire point and and like to use a little cheaper bullet if possible. The Lapuas are 50 cents apiece. That's not outrageous but a little high for plinking by the time you figure the cost of a loaded round.

Hopefully somebody can steer me in the right direction, thanks in advance.
Old December 23, 2015, 05:06 AM   #2
Gunplummer

I have been using Sierra 160 Grain semi-round nose for years. They seem to be out of stock everywhere, so I latched on to some Hornady 160 Grain round nose. I use the gun for hunting and that is all, but it sights in O.K. Why worry about the excess freebore if you are plinking anyway? If it really bothers you, look at some of the copper solids. They are usually longer to make up the weight.
*Last time I was looking, Lapua heavy 6.5's were back ordered everywhere too.
Old December 23, 2015, 07:08 AM   #3
Lee S. Forsberg

Have you considered cast bullets?
Old December 23, 2015, 08:49 AM   #4
98 220 swift

The bullets I use in Swede I believe to be the corelock bullets. It has been so long since I bought them I cant rememeber for sure. The have 2 canallures on the bullets. I load them pretty far out but do not remember the COL. Both cannallures are out when loaded. The accuracy has been very good with this load. As good as I can do with open sights anyway. I also use 4350 powder but do not know the weight. I can check it all when I get home.
Old December 23, 2015, 08:59 AM   #5
steveNChunter

Gunplummer- I saw the Hornady but it seems to be discontinued, as it has been out of stock everywhere for a while. That's a real bummer because they are a lot cheaper than the Lapua.

The freebore doesn't really bother me while plinking, but I forgot to mention my local gun club has a vintage military rifle match a few times a year that I'd like to compete in. And plinking is a little more fun with a rifle that shoots MOA or better

The Copper solids are more expensive than the Lapua 155 gr and I've yet to find any in 6.5 that are much longer than the cup and core choices. I may just have to bite the bullet (pun intended) and get the Lapuas.

Lee S. Forsberg- I have never loaded any cast bullets, I guess it's not out of the question but I'll be shooting the rifle up to 300 yards regularly, I would think the reduced velocity of cast loads would be dropping off pretty sharply by then. Also I don't really have any suitable powders except for 2400, and I try to reserve that for my .357 loads only since it's a little hard to find locally.
Old December 23, 2015, 09:38 AM   #6
steveNChunter

98 220 Swift- What is the COAL with those core-lokt loads and how close are you to the lands? I wonder if the throat in your rifle is as long as mine. I don't mind seating a bullet with very little in the case but I worry about the bullet getting set-back or wiggling loose. As long as there's enough neck tension I guess it would be ok.
Old December 23, 2015, 10:47 AM   #7
98 220 swift

Quote:
98 220 Swift- What is the COAL with those core-lokt loads and how close are you to the lands? I wonder if the throat in your rifle is as long as mine. I don't mind seating a bullet with very little in the case but I worry about the bullet getting set-back or wiggling loose. As long as there's enough neck tension I guess it would be ok.
I will check the COL tonight. I don't know how far from the lands they are. I made this load probably over 10 years ago. I am sure I used the bullet in the case method to find the lands. And I have no more of these bullets on hand.
Old December 23, 2015, 12:33 PM   #8
condor bravo

With regards to cast bullets and lowered velocities with the Swede, I haven't been able to stabalize even the 120 grains and can't find any cast bullets shorter than that. But everything up to 160 jacketed with normal loads are fine. For reduced loads with Trail Boss, anything from 100 to 140 jacketed are also good. Seems strange about the 120 cast bullets and reduced loads.
Old December 23, 2015, 10:26 PM   #9
98 220 swift

My COL is 3.220" hope this helps
Old December 23, 2015, 11:47 PM   #10
steveNChunter

98 220 swift- Yes that helps thank you. With the core lokt bullet I would have to load to around 3.240 to hit the lands in my rifle, but I always start my load development at .005 off and back off in .005 increments till I find the sweet spot.

Some digging around online has led me to believe that the Hornady Interlock 140 gr has a bit longer bearing surface than most other flat base 140 gr bullets, so I think I'll order a couple hundred of them to try.

Also ordering some Prvi Partizan brass cause it's cheap and seems to be of decent quality. RL22 and IMR 4350 are the front runners for powder of choice but I have a few more that would be suitable if I can't get a good load with those two.

Feel free to throw out some pet loads for old Swede's
Old December 24, 2015, 04:21 AM   #11
Gunplummer

Wow, Hornady discontinued the 160 Grain? They have been hard to get from any company for a while. I have to find a hunting bullet. You, I am guessing can use anything to shoot at the matches. I believe Hornady also dropped their .257 117 Grain RN bullets too. I have been having problems getting good bullets from all the sources. Please do not respond with websites for all the new "Improved" bullets or cast bullets. They usually do not do well in old rifles with cut rifling, and if I want to cast bullets I will buy a muzzle loader.
Old December 24, 2015, 04:53 AM   #12
Jimro

I use Nosler Custom Competition 140gr BTHP bullets for my Swedes. Target shooting only (NRA vintage sniper). Total length Nosler CC 1.31" but I load them to mag length.

Getting close to the lands is probably not in the cards for you, Sierra's old 155gr matchking was probably the absolute best bullet for the old Swedes with their over sized chambers, but Sierra hasn't marketed that bullet in years although you can still find data for it.

So your best bet is a tangent ogive spitzer bullet that can tolerate some jump. Nosler CC, Sierra Matchkings, or decent spitzer hunting bullets. Honestly I've had good luck with Remington Core-Lokt bullets in 8x57, so I wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot in 6.5x55. The two crimping cannelures on the 140gr Core-Lokt bullet seem to be put there so that you can crimp to the bottom one for longer throats.

So I recommend you try using the bottom crimping cannelure on the Core-Lokts and seeing if you can't play with the powder charge to get an accurate load for your Swede. If that doesn't work, then try the Custom Comp bullets with more jump.

Jimro
Old December 24, 2015, 10:41 AM   #13
steveNChunter

Quote:
Wow, Hornady discontinued the 160 Grain? They have been hard to get from any company for a while. I have to find a hunting bullet. You, I am guessing can use anything to shoot at the matches. I believe Hornady also dropped their .257 117 Grain RN bullets too. I have been having problems getting good bullets from all the sources. Please do not respond with websites for all the new "Improved" bullets or cast bullets. They usually do not do well in old rifles with cut rifling, and if I want to cast bullets I will buy a muzzle loader.
+1 to that

Quote:
Getting close to the lands is probably not in the cards for you, Sierra's old 155gr matchking was probably the absolute best bullet for the old Swedes with their over sized chambers, but Sierra hasn't marketed that bullet in years although you can still find data for it.

So your best bet is a tangent ogive spitzer bullet that can tolerate some jump. Nosler CC, Sierra Matchkings, or decent spitzer hunting bullets. Honestly I've had good luck with Remington Core-Lokt bullets in 8x57, so I wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot in 6.5x55. The two crimping cannelures on the 140gr Core-Lokt bullet seem to be put there so that you can crimp to the bottom one for longer throats.

So I recommend you try using the bottom crimping cannelure on the Core-Lokts and seeing if you can't play with the powder charge to get an accurate load for your Swede. If that doesn't work, then try the Custom Comp bullets with more jump.

Jimro
Thanks for the advice Jimro. I wish the Core-Lokts were easier to find as a component, I might would have went with them. I ordered 200 Hornady Interlock 140 gr, they seem to have a little more bearing surface than most 140 gr bullets and they're fairly cheap. I'm pretty sure I can reach the lands with them, the main question now is if I will have consistent adequate neck tension seating them out that far. If that causes me problems I may have to try something like the custom comp and let them jump. It would really be nice if Sierra still made that 155 grain, that would be tailor-made for the swedish chambers.
Old December 24, 2015, 04:03 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Steve, sorry if I missed it, I read most but not all of the above... have you tried loading a few long? If touching the rifling leaves you 0.11 seating depth then going 0.050 back (a very common starting point) puts you at 0.160. I load a number of rounds that way (.204Ruger, .22-250, 6mm Rem) and have never had any trouble.
Old December 25, 2015, 12:25 PM   #15
steveNChunter

Quote:
Steve, sorry if I missed it, I read most but not all of the above... have you tried loading a few long? If touching the rifling leaves you 0.11 seating depth then going 0.050 back (a very common starting point) puts you at 0.160.
I'm just getting into the 6.5x55 game so I only had half a box of Remington Core-lokt 140 gr ammo on hand.

I pulled one bullet, dumped the powder, barely started the bullet back in the case, then stuck it in the chamber and closed the bolt on it. That gave me my 0.110 seating depth with the Core-lokt bullet.

I've ordered some 140 gr Interlocks to try, (along with some Prvi brass and Lee 3-die set) their shape differs slightly from the core-lokt, giving the Interlock a little longer bearing surface.

I usually start .005 off the lands and work back .005 at a time till I find a sweet spot, but I've always ended up closer than .050. That's not to say .050 or further back is bad, I've just never found the need to try it in my load testing. Most of the time I will find a sweet spot between .010 and .030 and call it good there. I may very well be missing out on more accurate loads by doing it this way.
Old January 3, 2016, 10:51 PM   #16
steveNChunter

For anyone who's still interested...

I got my bullets, brass and dies and loaded a few rounds to try. The Interlock proved to work much better than the Core-Lokt at reaching the lands. You can tell in the pic below that the Interlock definitely has a longer bearing surface.

And I can get the bullet sufficiently seated in the case with bullet length to spare. The round in this pic is about .010" off the lands with an OAL of 3.170"

I also noticed that RL22 is made in Sweden. Coincidence, I think not!

Excellent metering my a$$

Last edited by steveNChunter; January 3, 2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old January 13, 2016, 01:11 PM   #17
azar92

steveNChunter,

If you are looking for a long shanked bullet for the 6.5x55 the Remington Core-lokt is one of the worst choices. It was designed as a 2-diameter bullet to reduce pressure for use in the .264 Win Mag. Any other flat based 140g bullet (140g Speer HotCor, 140g Hornady Interlock, etc) would be a better choice.

I see you went with the 140g Interlock. How have the new loads shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
I have been using Sierra 160 Grain semi-round nose for years. They seem to be out of stock everywhere
Thats because Sierra discontinued that bullet quite some time ago. I picked up a box on clearance in 2007. When they printed 5 shot groups at 100 yards in the 0.8's I decided to grab some more. They had already been discontinued. 2-3 years later I found someone online that offered by 3 boxes for $80 and I took him up on it. I'm set for a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
Wow, Hornady discontinued the 160 Grain?
Well, they did plan on it years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] 12/15/2010
There will no longer be any 6.5mm cal. 160 gr. RN bullets after 2010 as they will be discontinued for 2011.
I've been told that they never did discontinue the bullet though and it is still listed on their website. Hornady did suspend production of a lot of their traditional bullets a few years back during the great component hoarding and focused on the bullets that sold the best (and likely the ones to make them the most money). A lot of the more traditional bullet designs are back in production now. I imagine the older RN styles don't sell as well and are lower on their priority list.
Old January 13, 2016, 06:00 PM   #18
stubbicatt

SteveNChunter, will that round feed from the magazine?