The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2015, 04:31 PM   #1
Mystro

P320 Subcompact and Compact mix-n-match combos, sizes, holsters and observations.

I developed some buyers ideas and strategies for the P320 modular platform. I had to take some pictures and some comparison sizes between the P320 Subcompact and the Compact. My Subcompact is in 9mm and my Compact is in 40S&W. I will get into some interchangeable ideas you might want to try.

The size is noticeable between the two. The Subcompact is thinner and shorter.

A interesting modular idea to try is to put a Compact slide on a Subcompact frame. This setup works well. To add more rounds but still keep the thinness of the Subcompact frame, add a Compact magazine with a X tension filler sleeve.

A Subcompact slide on a Compact frame doesnt work but it is functional.
One could cut down the Compact frame if you had to. I see no tactical advantage with this combo.

The best max fire power and concealment is the P320 Subcompact with the larger Compact magazine with a X tension filler sleeve. This setup is awesome and what I would recommend for a first time P320 buyer. Its thin, light, and the way to go if you want a versatile 9mm. I was shocked how good it felt in my xl hands.
By buying just the Subcompact and using the various magazines you have the best of both worlds between a P320 SC and P320 Compact. Use the 12+1 round Subcompact mag for ultimate deep carry or use the 15+1 round compact magazine with filler sleeve. The filler sleeve feels great and gives you the Compact feel but still remaining thinner. Its a win win.

A great light weight carry rig for the P320 Subcompact is this Uncle Mikes Size 16 shoulder holster. 31 rounds of 9mm and gun in a very light weight package.

Part 2 next thread

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old April 9, 2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Mystro

Part 2

Part 2:

For the P320 Compact, I found that the Galco leather shoulder rig for my P229 fit the P320 Compact perfectly.

While digging though my holsters I also found another gem. A Dan Hume Leather holster for my HK USP Compact fits the P320 Compact very well.

I got a chance to weigh the P320 Compact loaded (not one in chamber) and unloaded.

The P320 Subcompact loaded with the extended mag and unloaded weights.

In conclusion, if you want to carry the P320 in 9mm, then the Subcompact is the way to go over the Compact from my observations. The X tension filler sleeve on the larger Compact 15 round magazine essentially gives you the Compact version but being able to change to a Subcompact with a quick mag switch. The sight radius is still plenty long for a day at the range.

I love this P320 as a modular platform and as a stand alone gun. I have 28.5 handguns in my collection and the P320 Platform could probably eliminate half of them. (No joking) (the .5 is the X change kit)

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; April 9, 2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old April 9, 2015, 04:44 PM   #3
Wishoot

Have you actually shot these various configurations?
Old April 9, 2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Mystro

Quote:
Have you actually shot these various configurations?
Yes. alot. The Subcompact with 12 +1 is plenty accurate and controllable but the larger mag with filler sleeve will be the easiest for most people to shoot and the added rounds are a nice bonus.

Last edited by Mystro; April 9, 2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old April 9, 2015, 09:11 PM   #5
1-DAB

Interesting info. Just snagged a full size in 40sw. Looking at the conversion kit in 9mm. Also full size. Just what I like.